SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Kitchen Injuries And Precautions Against Same

John Liu
11 years ago

I am interested in your experiences with kitchen injuries, and what preparations and precautions you take.

We keep bandages and Neosporin at hand, a few steps from the sink. A burn kit with burn gel hangs near the range. I've learned to wear an apron while deep frying. Pot handles are turned in. The kitchen also has a fire extinguisher. Contemplated addition - a mesh "cut glove".

My usual injury is an annual cut of my left index fingertip. I do know how to curl my fingers and thumb, but seems like once a year I blow it. I've learned not to inspect these cuts, as they usually look pretty gruesome. Just run straight to the box of bandages, unpeel a large fingertip bandage, wrap the bleeding finger tightly in the bandage and then in clear scotch tape to contain the blood soaking through the cloth bandage. Wipe up the blood trail on the floor. Resume prepping. Dinner has to get made, after all.

There is also the occasional minor burn. Forearm on a pot lip, hot oil splatters, etc. I'm careful with turning handles in, draining hot pasta water, and so on, so no meaningful burns so far.

Also the infrequent freak injury. Until I learned how to shuck oysters, I used to stab myself now and again. Hot pepper oil to the eye, nothing like mace'ing yourself with guests due in 20 minutes.

But never any significant injury in my kitchen. Thank goodness.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler