Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frittata proportions - how to?

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 14:49

I had a baked potato bar when friends came over last night. I'm thinking I'll make a frittata for dinner tonight with the leftovers. I have never before made a frittata, but I've heard they are good for using up leftovers.

I have one medium-ish baked potato; a large spoonful of sauteed spinach, about a cup of roasted mushrooms; 1/2 cup sliced green onion, 1/2 cup sliced black olives, 1/2 cup chopped bacon, lots of shredded cheddar cheese. Leftover from the raw veggies and dip, I have broccoli; green bell pepper; and carrots.

Which leftovers would you use? What would be the proportion of eggs to leftovers?

Any other ideas to use up party food? If it were cooler, I might consider soup, but it is entirely too hot for me to even think about soup!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frittata proportions - how to?

Eggs are a great way to use up assorted leftovers, whether it's a frittata, quiche, omelette, casserole, or bread pudding. My auntie, in her dating years way back when, would always have little foil animals full of fancy food that would get scrambled up with eggs in the morning. :) Even Chinese spareribs, which are mostly bones!

For a frittata, it just matters what you want it to be like. If it's more like a baked omelette, dense with eggs, you can do as little as a cup of "food" to six eggs. That kind is easier to flip, but you could put it under the broiler, instead, if you don't feel the flip or have a second pan that's the right size. A baked omelette is a dozen eggs to a 10-12" pan, so a looser frittata, with more stuff in it would be more like 8 eggs 2-3 cups of ingredients.

I'd do a strata type thing with all those goodies. Lightly sauté the crunchy veggies, maybe adding half an onion (chopped) and beat the eggs with seasoning, spices and herbs. In a baking dish, put a little egg mix in the bottom to wet it. Grate up some mozzarella or other leaner cheese to mix with the cheddar, and make bread crumbs from whatever's stale or trying to be (or you could use leftover chips, crumbled, and call them the salt). Or you could use (cooked) pasta instead or rice, or soak dried lasagna pasta in hot tap water for 15 minutes.

Slice the potato thin and line the bottom with it, slightly overlapping. Then a loose layer of cheese, the sautéd no longer raw veggies, crumbs (grain/pasta), more cheese, the mushrooms, another layer of crumbs and cheese, then the spinach and bacon. Pour the egg mixture over all, or pour it in layer by later. Top with crumbs, then cheese and the scallions and olives.

If you prefer custard to plain eggs, I find 2 eggs to 1 cup of 2% milk works really well.

The trick to the order is to have a fairly solid base, and kind of alternate soft and harder layers, without getting top heavy. And it's entirely about cutting it nicely, and has no other importance, so suit yourself!

Most of all, have fun!

o

plllog, wish I had seen your comments about 20 minutes ago! DH was getting hungry, so I winged it. I put the spinach (which had been cooked with onions, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and dijon mustard) in the skillet along with the mushrooms to warm while I sliced the potato in thin slices and laid them over the spinach and mushrooms. Then sprinkled it all with green onions and bacon. Poured 4 beaten eggs over it and then topped it with grated cheese.

I cooked it gently on top of the stove until the edges were set and then put it in a 375 oven for 5 minutes.

It would have been better with a little egg poured on the bottom instead of trying to work them through the veggies. It would have been better with the potatoes on the bottom. But all in all, it wasn't bad.

o

Sounds good! Call it whatever you want, it sounds well prepared and like good eating. It also sounds like it's less demanding of bowls to wash. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here