Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
T&T chevre appy recipe

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 14:37

Soon, we will be sharing a house in the mountains with a couple of other couples. There will be no cooking beyond appetizers with drinks in the evening. We are each going to bring something.

I am taking an 8 oz log of chevre that I already have on hand. How can I dress it up?

Preferably no baking or cooking. I have no idea how the kitchen will be equipped and I don't want to carry much with me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: T&T chevre appy recipe

Drizzle some nice local honey over it. Serve with crackers.

o

Here is a very easy appetizer to put together.

Toast your walnut halves in advance. Then you just have to warm the goat cheese slighhtly in a microwave to soften, spread a little on each cocktail toast, top with the toasted walnut and drizzle with a good quality olive oil.

o

YUM! Thanks!

o

Mini Goat Cheese balls. The variations are endless and I don't use a recipe but here is one for inspiration.
I like a platter with some that are rolled in toasted nuts - which can vary- and some rolled in herbs. Flavoring the cheese before rolling is optional too. A variety of flavorings is nice.
Serve with crackers, flatbreads.
This is a great make ahead appy.

mini goat cheese balls

Posted By the wicked noodle On March 16, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

Mini Goat Cheese Balls

1 10-oz log goat cheese
1/4 cup finely diced sun-dried tomatoes (from a jar packed in oil, keep the oil on the tomatoes, no need to rinse or wipe off)
2 T capers
1 t lemon zest
1 T fresh rosemary, very finely chopped
1 T fresh thyme, very finely chopped
1/2 c parsley, very finely chopped
crostini or crackers, for serving

Mix together goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, capers and lemon zest. Form into balls, place on sheet pan, cover and chill for at least one hour (can be made ahead at this point up to one day).

Mix together rosemary, thyme and parsley; roll cheese balls until thoroughly covered. Serve on platter with crostini and/or crackers.

o

Ann t's looks lovely but I'd prefer honey to olive oil on the toasts!
Goat and spinach filo parcels made in advance. Warm up .

o

I've been making a n appy similar to Ann T's, but like Islay I prefer honey. Add a little cracked black pepper and some fresh thyme and it is sublime! Oh, and I have been putting it on French bread (can be grilled or toasted first) but I think you could put it on almost anything.

Alexa

o

I think the honey over goat cheese and walnuts does sound good. I would like that has a cheese or dessert course.

The honey would not work for me as an appetizer if served with a good red wine.

Another option , would be little bite size cubes of focaccia bread topped with goat cheese and roasted red peppers , and some topped with black olive tapenade. You can buy the focaccia, and if you don't want to roast your own peppers or make the tapenade you can purchase it all ready made.

Focaccia with Warm Goat Cheese

1 focaccia, homemade or purchases

1 roasted red pepper, cut into strips and drizzled with olive oil.

1 recipe homemade Tapanade (or purchase all ready made)

Chevre (Goat cheese)

Cut the Focaccia into bite size squares

Cut the roasted pepper into small strips

Warm the Goat Cheese in the microwave to soften.

Put a dollop of goat cheese on top of each square of focaccia.

On half the focaccia place a few strips of pepper and on the other half
place a small spoon of Tapenade.

o

Thanks all for the wonderful ideas. It brought to mind a totally forgotten recipe that I was once given in a wine and cheese pairing class. Thin a bit of chevre with a small amount of cream to a spreadable consistency. Spread it on a dried apricot half and drizzle with honey.

An 8 oz log of chevre is going to go a long way. I think I can make a different recipe each evening for several evenings.

o

This is a wonderful appetizer. You could make the olive/thyme ahead of time and pour over the cheese after you get there. You could also buy flatbread (or make it and bring it).

Martha

Fresh Goat Cheese with Olives, Lemon and Thyme

1/2 cup assorted olives
3 fresh thyme sprigs
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 (4- to 5-ounces) fresh goat-cheese medallion

Heat olives, thyme, oil, zest, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small skillet or saucepan over low heat until fragrant (do not simmer). Cool to room temperature.

Serve olive mixture over goat cheese.

Rosemary Flatbread

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 T. chopped rosemary plus 2 (6 inch) sprigs
1 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. olive oil plus more for brushing
Flaky seat salt such as Maldon
Preheat oven to 450°F with a heavy baking sheet on rack in middle.

Stir together flour, chopped rosemary, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in center, then add water and oil and gradually stir into flour with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Knead dough gently on a work surface 4 or 5 times.

Divide dough into 3 pieces and roll out 1 piece (keep remaining pieces covered with plastic wrap) on a sheet of parchment paper into a 10-inch round (shape can be rustic; dough should be thin).

Lightly brush top with additional oil and scatter small clusters of rosemary leaves on top, pressing in slightly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Slide round (still on parchment) onto preheated baking sheet and bake until pale golden and browned in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer flatbread (discard parchment) to a rack to cool, then make 2 more rounds (1 at a time) on fresh parchment (do not oil or salt until just before baking). Break into pieces.

o

I've just hosted family at our vacation home. And another group of friends coming tomorrow for the weekend...

My family 'grazes'. Constantly!
I put out snacks and apps every afternoon. Usually cheeses. Fetta, cuke, tomato and olives. Insalata caprese. And goat cheese log rolled in fresh herbs, pepper and pink sea salt. 1/3rd of the log with honey and pecans. (most of us like savory over sweet). All served with homemade foccachia we have been baking every day, and a side of proscuitto, matchsticks of cured salami and/or smoked salmon. Traveled with various cracker and flatbread choices.
-covered bowls of 'back-ups' in the fridge to replenish.
Has worked out very nicely for late lunch and cocktail hour with everyone spending afternoons in all directions...hiking trails, kayaking, fishing...

Looking for an easy flatbread recipe. I'll have to try the one posted above!

o

I am a grazer! All of that sounds so good, sleevendog!

And Linderhof (one of my favorite castles, btw) I'll see if the local gourmet-ish grocery close to where we are staying has olives to serve with the chevre.

o

It's one of our favorite castles too bbstx!

Martha

o

Here's another easy chevre idea; a friend of mine brought it to a spring party, and I enjoyed it so much that I made it for three occasions this summer.

Pear & Rosemary Jam with Goat Cheese

4 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 c water
1/2 sugar
juice from 1/2 lemon
2-3 fresh rosemary sprigs

combine ingredients in saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook till thick and jammy. (usually takes me about an hour to cook it down, and I also cut back on the water and lemon if the pears are pretty juicy themselves.)

I usually serve it and the goat cheese side by side with a sliced baguette or crackers. The jam is also good with soft ripe cheeses like coulommiers.

o

I think the best wine with goat and honey would be a delicious flowery white wine from Alsace or Germany.

o

Just remembered this. Served last Christmas with baguette slices (untoasted) and it was delicious! She used a goat cheese from Traders Joes.

Herbed Chevre (Silver Palate Good Times)

12 oz. Montrachet or goat cheese
1/4 c. heavy cream
3 bunches chives (~ 12 stems each), finely snipped
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon rind

Beat cheese and cream; blend in remaining ingred.
Chill 4 hours to blend flavors.
Serve with baguette slices or water crackers.

o

This is a huge hit at our holiday parties. Even My Dh's Picky butt family requests I bring it.I have never taken home anything but an empty plate. I double the recipe for a large crowd. It is delicious but then again, all of these recipes sound delicious. I love Goat Cheese.

8 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz goat cheese
1/2 cup prepared sun-dried tomato paste (I find this in the Italian section of my local supermarket)
1/3 cup prepared pesto (I like Buitoni, find it in the refrigerated section)
1 T garlic paste
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and goat cheese with electric mixer until smooth.
Evenly divide mixture into three bowls. Add sun-dried tomato paste to one bowl, pesto to the next, and garlic paste to the last bowl. Stir each to combine. Season all three with salt and pepper to taste.
Line a 3-cup straight sided mold (I've used a small spring form pan, a small cereal bowl, ...for this one, I just used a small round gladware container) with dampened cheesecloth, draping excess over rim. Spoon sun-dried tomato mixture into bottom of mold and smooth with spatula. Next add garlic mixture. Smooth with a spatula. Cover garlic mixture with pesto mixture. Press down and smooth the top.
Fold cheesecloth over the top and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least one hour. It can be made a couple days ahead of time and stored well covered in the refrigerator.

To serve, invert mold onto platter and remove cheesecloth.
Enjoy with crackers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Torta Strata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here