Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Mill recommendations

Posted by lizbeth-gardener (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 14:36

Am thinking about replacing an old red handled, aluminum Foley food mill.

In looking at descriptions/reviews seems like so much of new stuff is "made in China" carp!

Does anyone have a newer one they love or an older s.s. type that I might find on e-bay?

Does anyone know anything about the Victoria that separates seeds & pulp out or the Squeezo brand that does the same? It looks like both of these are available on e-bay in all metal (maybe s.s.).

Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Mill recommendations

The Foley Food Mill now comes in stainless steel.

I have a friend who has a Villaware Victorio Food Strainer who has let me borrow it a few times for "BIG" projects. More money, but it does the trick on large quantities of food. It's a well-made machine. My friend makes good use of it with her giant garden, fruit trees/bushes, plus she's a great cook.

Tomatoes and other vegetables and fruits are easily processed. Great for anyone who makes jams, thick pureed soups, vegetables sauces, and baby food. It's also easier to crank and control than a regular food mill, although the OXO works well, which is what she uses for small jobs.

My friend can reduce 5-pounds of tomatoes into puree in just a few minutes with the residue being expelled from the long funnel on the side. I've seen her process 2-pounds of cooked kidney beans for a dip. She also uses it when she needs to make piles of mashed potatoes for the holidays. Turns unpeeled cooked potatoes into a smooth-textured mash. People who like lumpy mashed potatoes may not like the texture.

There are additional attachments so you can process a wider variety of foods - salsa screen, medium-coarse pumpkin and squash screen, grape spiral, and a fine berry screen.

It clamps onto a table or counter top. When I've borrowed it I've used my wood-topped rolling cart that I use for other things I need to clamp onto a sturdy surface (my many mills, wheatgrass juicer, and grinders). I'd never clamp things on my counter top or table, which is why I have a cart with a wooden top that rolls into my pantry when not in use.

You disassemble it for washing by hand.

That's the only ones I've had any experience with, other than my own small stainless steel food mill. It usually comes down to what are you going to use it for, how often, storage, and how much money are you willing to invest.

-Grainlady

o

I agree with Grainlady's recommendation of the tomato press. Mine is an older Italian one, but similar. If the new Villaware press is as well made you will find it worth every penny. I love mine.

o

I have an old Squeezo, all metal, works like a champ but it's kind of a pain to clean small seeds, etc, from the strainers.

I can go through a bushel of apples or tomatoes for sauce in very little time, though. Mine was the right price too, a hand me down from my mother!

photo 100_0302.jpg

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here