Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you "egg drop" in soup?

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 14:31

After reading the Ramen thread, I decided to give some of the suggestions a try. I have never eaten ramen noodles before, but I keep them in the pantry because DH loves them.

I pitched the flavor packet and instead cooked the noodles in a cup of chicken broth and a cup of beef broth which were loitering in the fridge. I added some thin slices of ann_t's souvlaki chicken leftover from earlier in the week. And tossed in 2 scallions, thinly sliced. Before seasoning the pot with a drizzle of sesame oil and a bit of soy sauce, I tried to add "egg drop."

After beating the egg, I attempted to drizzle it into the hot broth. Instead of making the ribbons I was going for, it dispersed in the broth. The taste was fine, but no ribbons of egg.

Here is the order of my preparation:
bring broths to boil
add noodles; cook 3 minutes according to package
turn off heat
add chicken and scallions
bring broth back to quick simmer
drizzle beaten egg into simmering broth
turn off heat
add soy sauce, sesame oil, and a squirt of lime juice

I added a bit of peanut butter to mine; DH threw some cashews into his. We both poured a small puddle of Tiger Sauce on the side (we are heat-wimps). We both enjoyed it and will probably have it again.

How do I make egg drop ribbons next time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you "egg drop" in soup?

I take a wooden spoon and get the water swirling, then slowly pour in the beaten egg and keep stirring.

o

donna, I could have sworn I did that. Was my timing off? Should the egg have been added to the broth before the noodles? I can't imagine boiling the egg ribbons for the 3 minutes that the package says to boil the noodles.

When I drizzled the egg in, my pot already had more solid ingredients than broth in it. Was that the problem?

o

Just what you did should make egg ribbons....perhaps you had so much other stuff in the soup you couldn't see the egg.
Egg drop soup is usually pretty well just a broth with maybe a few slivers of a veggie and egg.

o

It sounds like you did it right. No, you don't want to cook the egg for long. Maybe there WAS too much other solids in the soup already. Next time, maybe you need to remove some of the solids before adding the egg, then add the solids back in.

o

If there is lots of other stuff in the soup the egg will get mechanically dispersed rather than being able to form curdled threads. Otherwise you seem to have done it just right. Soup is very hot (simmering), get it swirling, pour in the beaten egg very slowly in a thin drizzle.

o

It's like a terribly failed poached egg. ::)

Jim

o

arrgghh, apparently I can fail at both egg poaching AND egg dropping. I am one of those people who uses cups to poach my eggs because I end up with egg drop not-quite-soup. But when I try to make an egg drop soup, I end up with egg-thickened broth.

I may just scratch the egg from the soup next time. After all, if you believe the latest report, I might as well just have a loaded gun on the table next to my soup bowl (I would have said a smoking cigarette, but I couldn't get past the mental/olfactory image).

o

I think you may not be swirling the soup slowly when you add the egg. If you stir it too quickly, or the soup is boiling fast, the egg will break up. Try it again, it isn't hard.

Cheryl

o

I pour the beaten egg into a tea strainer held over the pot of soup and stir the egg with a small wire whisk while moving the strainer in a circular motion. I guess I'm swirling the strainer instead of the soup.

o

I do not swirl the soup at all when I pour in the egg, but I do pour the egg in a circle around the pan. I do not pour all of it in at once, and I let it cook for a while before I stir it, and then I add more egg into the still soup.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here