Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chimichurri vinaigrette

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 14:20

Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill is our favorite local go-to place for fast, fresh, delicious mexican take-out. They have some new salads this summer, my favorite being the Wild Planet Tuna Salad. It is wildly delicious with a chimichurri vinaigrette dressing that I would like to copy at home. The tuna is flavored with lemon oregano. I would choose this salad over a plate of my facvorite fresh-baked made-from-scratch brownies, LOL.

I looked up some chimichurri vinaigrette recipes and all of them contain garlic, red wine vinegar, parsley, olive oil, dried red pepper flakes, S&P.

Is this the basic recipe? I plan to add a favorite to our recipe collection.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chimichurri vinaigrette

Pretty much a basic chimichurri sauce...but they usually contain onion and often oregano and/or cilantro. but parsley is pretty classic.
Chimichurri sauce is pretty well a vinaigrette....so not sure what's up with calling it a chimichurri vinaigrette. Sort of like calling a dish shrimp scampi...or scampi, made with shrimp!

o

Thanks Linda. I actually did find a recipe for one that includes fresh oregano, but most of the others did not. Cilantro would be a suitable alternative for the parsley but only for the oddballs who love it, which I do. :-)

o

I've had chimichurri most often in Argentinian restaurants, and it tasted like the base ingredients were parsley, garlic, vinegar and oil. I have also seen it with minor quantities of sweet red pepper and scallions but never with hot peppers.

If you had it at Rubio's, it probably did have hot pepper flakes because they tend to take a good recipe and screw it up by catering to the current American fad for more heat, even if it isn't traditional with the dish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here