SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Eggplant Parm - to bread or not to bread

Lars
9 years ago

Yesterday I finished making eggplant Parmiggiana - I fried the eggplant (that I had bought at the farmers' market Sunday) on Tuesday, and by the time that was done, it was too late to finish the dish, and so I stored the eggplant on paper towels overnight. Normally I bread the eggplant like Lidias's recipe using Panko, but the Panko I had was old, and so I skipped breading because the recipe in my Italian cookbook does not call for breading. I really like it breaded, but that was a step I thought would save time if I didn't have to do it. The eggplant was exremely good, and I ate a bit of it cold, as I had more cooked eggplant than I needed.

Since I did not bread the eggplant, should I have added layers of bread crumbs? The dish was okay but not as good as when I breaded the eggplant. The other substitution I made was Fontina for Mozzarella, and I would not do that again either. I like Fontina on pizza and stuffed Portobellos, but I did not like it in this dish as much as I do Mozzarella.

So, do you bread your eggplant before frying it for this dish? I would not bread it for Moussaka, which I would have made if I had had ground meat, but since I had all the ingredients for the Parmigiana (minus the Moz), I decided to make that instead. Half of it is left over, and so I will probably add bread crumbs before reheating it.

Lars

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida