Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freeze leftover salmon?

Posted by oasisowner (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 13:45

Yesterday we cooked a huge frozen salmon side (grilled, maple glazed - very good!). There is a LOT left over. Can I freeze the leftovers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freeze leftover salmon?

Absolutely.....won't be as good texture-wise...but better than tossing it!

o

Here is an excellent recipe for using some of that leftover salmon:

SALMON QUICHE WITH WALNUT CRUMB CRUST
posted by SharonCb

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Pastry:
Easy - doesn't require rolling, just press down with fingers and back of a spoon into a 24 cm (9.5 inch) pyrex flan dish or pie plate.
1 - 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped

Mix these ingredients in a bowl, cutting in butter with two knives until crumbly then press into a pie dish, including up the sides. Bake in pre-heated oven for five minutes. Then remove from oven.

Meanwhile mix the following ingredients in a bowl:

Filling:
3 eggs beat till frothy
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can salmon (7 3/4 ounces) - I prefer fresh piece salmon that has been baked - 'smoked salmon' is really good too.
1/4 cup mayonnaise

Pour these ingredients into the pie crust - bake in oven approximately 45 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. The top is usually a nice golden brown colour. If you don't have salmon on hand, tinned tuna works well too in this recipe

I've made this with all sorts of leftover salmon, including TJ's Mojito Salmon. It is one of my all time fav recipes!

o

Thanks all. Salmon is in the freezer. I will have to try that quiche recipe! DH may be one of the few men that loves quiche!

o

Frankly I have never met a man yet that didn't love quiche.....

o

LOL, oo. My DH also loves quiche. It is salmon that he doesn't care for, but he will happily eat SharonCB's salmon quiche.

I forgot to add that I do not put walnuts in the crust. We generally have pecans in the fridge, so if I put nuts in the crust (I'm not a nut fan), it is pecans.

o

My DH does not like salmon unless it comes in a can (silly man)but...why wouldn't that crust be good as an apple pie? I love cheese with apple pie. Whadda you think?

o

Jude31, the crust tastes like cheese straws. Since I'm not an "apple pie & cheddar cheese" person, I don't know if it would work or not. Can you envision apple pie filling with cheese straws?

I may have your DH's twin brother over here. Mine prefers canned, too, but will eat fresh if there is nothing else to eat.

o

Bbstx, somehow the idea of cheese straws and apple pie filling doesn't thrill me. The idea of a "press-in" crust was what really caught my eye. I have made very few pie crusts in my very long life, but I figure that's why God made Pillsbury or Betty Crocker...for people like me.

jude

o

I've wondered how people can tolerate canned salmon, and now I hear that some prefer it?! I guess that's why they make it!

I like the idea of using frozen leftovers as an ingredient rather than serving it as, salmon. Quiche sounds good to this boy.

o

That crust does sound very good as a base for apples.

o

I can usually take or leave pie crust, but this crust is so wonderful, I will chase the crumbs all over my plate. Sometimes I even follow them onto my placemat!

o

I was just going to say....that crust sounds like the kind of pie where you say "Skip the filling!"

o

I agree, use the salmon in that quiche, it's wonderful and Elery just mentioned that I ought to make it again soon. Cooper is such a fish-eating dog, though, that I seldom have leftover salmon any more!

I have also made it using regular crust when I didn't have the ingredients on hand for the walnut/cheese crust, although that is seriously delicious.

I also make salmon patties from leftover salmon, although I like them just as well made from canned salmon. (shrug). They're salmon patties, not much exciting to me in that, although I do like to mince up fresh salmon, mix it with some chopped spinach and feta and cook that, it's another thing altogether!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here