Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zucchini-Pineapple

Posted by katefisher (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 13:41

Thinking about utilizing some of our zucchini bounty by trying this recipe. Seems like a neat way to use up some squash. Wondering if some of you have tried this and what your impressions were and if you have ever gone rogue and substituted crookneck for the zucchini:)

Thank you.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchini-Pineapple canning recipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zucchini-Pineapple

No, I've never tried that, but I love pineapple and think it sounds interesting. That said, a friend with a huge bounty of zucchini asked if I had any zucchini cookie recipes, and when I saw the title of the thread, I though "Hmmmmm might be interesting to add a little drained crushed pineapple" to the cookie recipe I am working on... thanks for the inspiration!

Alexa

o

I tried one of those recipes a long, long time ago. Was not impressed; didn't have much of/ enough of a pineapple flavor to suit me. Maybe if there was some way to amp up the p'apple flavor with a very good extract. Or reduce the juice some to concentrate the flavor...or maybe use some frozen concentrate...

Anyway, if you try the recipe, I would love to know how it turns out for you.

o

I used to make this mock pineapple back when I thought you had to plant the whole packet of seed, lol. I ground it in my old hand-crank meat grinder using the coarse blade and it felt like crushed pineapple in your mouth. If you ate a spoonful plain you'd know it wasn't the real stuff, but it was great in breads. I added pineapple extract to the U of GA recipe...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini Mock Pineapple

Recipe By : adapted from So Easy to Preserve
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Extension Recipes, Preserving

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 quarts shredded or cubed zucchini -- * see note
46 oz can unsweetened pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups bottled lemon juice
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons pineapple extract

Mix ingredients (except pineapple extract) and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes. Stir in extract. Fill hot jars with hot mixture and cooking liquid, leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids. Process in a boiling water bath; pints and half-pints for 15 minutes, 20 min. above 1000 ft., 25 min. above 6000 ft.).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Katie's notes: I use the coarse blade on my old hand crank meat grinder. It gives the most crushed-pineapple-like texture. A food processor also works, but the pieces come out sharper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here