SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

Do you have a great freeze-ahead meatless breakfast casserole?

gellchom
9 years ago

Thing Two's wedding is fast approaching -- August 31! I've written before about this challenge and am very grateful for the advice you've given me so far.

Our wonderful future son-in-law's parents and three sisters are all staying with us (sisters sleeping next door but eating here) along with Thing Two and Fiance Two and for part of the time Thing One and Mrs. One, too. That is a lot of people at such a busy time, and what makes it really challenging is that the new in-law family don't eat in restaurants. So that means three meals a day for all those people. The dinners are covered, and most days I think breakfast will be my usual strategy of getting up early and putting out dishes and bagels, yogurt, cereals, juice, coffee, etc. and letting people take care of themselves as they get up rather than trying to cook eggs or something for so many people.

But I still have to figure out a couple of things. First, I need lunches for at least two days. I can maybe get away with cold cuts or tuna and salads and rye bread once. And I thought maybe a veggie lasagna or eggplant parm that I can make ahead and freeze and then serve with a tossed salad and a fruit salad for another day.

The one I'm working on now, though, is the day of the wedding. It's a Sunday, and the wedding is at 6:30. I don't really want to serve a big meal for lunch the same day as the wedding, but we have to eat something. Plus, the mom and sisters and I need to get downtown to the hotel for hair and makeup fairly early. So I figured: brunch is the answer. I was envisioning a make-ahead, pop in the oven cheese strata or other meatless breakfast casserole.

But I am having trouble finding one that can be made WAY ahead and frozen. All the recipes seem to say, "So convenient, because you make it ahead! Just assemble and refrigerate it the night before!" Needless to say, with 120 people here at the house for the "rehearsal" dinner (feeding the out of towners) Saturday night, cooking that night is anything but "convenient." I need things I can make a week ahead and freeze. Luckily I have lots of freezer space.

Well, I know whom to ask. YOU!!!

What do you suggest? I especially need ideas for that brunch dish, but other freeze-ahead lunch ideas or general advice are very much wanted, too.

No meat, please, but fish (not shellfish) is fine.

Thanks so much in advance!

This post was edited by gellchom on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 21:46

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert