Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
applesauce

Posted by florrie2 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 13:11

Hi Folks: Last year I canned many pints of applesauce and apple butter. Some didn't get eaten this year and I want to reprocess the extra jars it with fresh apples.

The jars were stored in the basement refrigerator and are still firmy sealed.

My DH is terrified of botulism, so I'm boiling the expired apple/stuff for a half hour before adding new apples.

What do y'all think?

Thanks
Florrie


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: applesauce

Boil it and eat but I wouldn't boil it and re-can it.

"The botulism toxin is easily destroyed by boiling, but the dormant bacterial spores are very hardy and can survive prolonged boiling. Unless they are killed by the extreme condition of higher-than-boiling temperatures (which require a pressure cooker), the spores will proliferate into active bacteria when the can cools down, and the toxin will accumulate. One precautionary measure is to boil any canned produce after opening to destroy any toxin that may be there. But all suspect cans, especially those bulging from the pressure of gases produced by bacterial growth should be discarded."

I'd dump 'em if you have doubts.


 o
RE: applesauce

It's not necessary....if they were well canned to begin with they are fine now.
Besides if there HAD been botilism toxin in the applesauce, it would have grown and boiling doesn't kill the toxin the botulism spoors produce.
Applesauce is a very low risk food and if you cooked it in a boiling water bath for the reccommended time and there is no mould and it doesn't smell putrid, it'ss afe to eat and boiling for an additional 30 minutes won't help.
Linda C


 o
RE: applesauce

florrie, if you processed that applesauce properly in a boiling water bath there's no reason to re-process it anyway, just leave it in the jars and eat it as you wish.

If you didn't water bath the stuff, I don't think I'd eat it at all. although it is a fruit, which is usually impervious to botulism, some jars of improperly processed applesauce have been found to harbor botulism, mostly because of the density of the product, I think. If you didn't heat process 'em, I'd sure be dumping them, refrigerated or not.

Annie


 o
RE: applesauce

As LindaC and Annie said, if you boiling water bathed the applesauce properly, it doesn't "expire". Quality may diminish with the passage of time but it's still perfectly safe to eat. Lots of people can on a two-year cycle (rotating garden produce) and what they can is just as safe to eat in year two as it was in year one. Pickles soften, jams turn brown, etc. but it's still fine to eat as long as you aren't bothered by texture or color issues.

Apple butter is even less susceptible, due to the addition of sugar. Of course if there's a broken seal, that product should be discarded. At the least there's the risk of mold.

But I wouldn't re-can something that's been properly processed. The shelf life is far greater than a year, as along as the seal is unbroken.

I might add that recent research has shown that windfall apples have a higher pH (are less acid) due to bruising and lemon juice should be added for processing.

Carol


 o
RE: applesauce

Thanks, everybody. The applesauce was properly canned originally, but I stored it in the downstairs fridge for lack of pantry space. It was still tightly sealed when I opened it yesterday.

I added some more apples, sugar and spices, then froze the new batch.

Should be fine now.

Thanks


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here