Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Artichoke spread help?

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 13:09

While I love the usual artichoke dip, I'd like to make an artichoke spread that would not be baked ahead, but that I could mix up and spread on slices of baguette or halved English muffins to bake for a light lunch with soup or salad.

The recipes I've found call for baking the spread before it is spread hot on the bread.

Any help or recipes will be appreciated.
Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Artichoke spread help?

I was at a tea room a few weeks ago that had artichoke spread as one of the tea sandwich choices. It tasted like cream cheese mixed with chopped artichokes, grated Parmesan cheese, chopped capers and basil. It might have had a little garlic powder and ground black pepper in it too. It was spread on little circles of white bread and not heated. Artichokes were the main ingredient, rather than the cream cheese.

It was a nice change from the usual tea sandwich fillings.

o

There is no reason why you could not make the "usual" artichoke dip...mine has artichokes cream cheese, mayo, parm, garlic and a can of green chilis....and spread on to a croustade and broil until browned.
Doesn't need to be a different recipe.
Linda C

o

I'd do as Linda says. Another nice addition is finely chopped water chestnuts.

o

Good ideas, thanks!

Linda, could you give me amounts for your dip? Will the dip be thick enough to stay on the bread?

Teresa

o

One can....can't tell you how big...because I don't currently have one...I think it's 14 oz. artichokes ( not in oil!!)
Drained, rinsed, patted dry and chopped.
Half an 8 oz block of cream cheese
half a cup of mayo
half a cup of grated parm
garlic......either 3 or 4 cloves crushed or 1/4 tsp granulated....or 1/2 tsp of you are using the non Penzey's kind...or to taste.
Jag of worchestershire (about 1/2 tsp)
One short can of choppede green chilis, well drained.
Mix, chill....spread on whatever and broil until lightly browned.
I often use toasted english muffin quarters.

o

Try this artichoke and white bean dip. It's a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe.
2 tbls olive oil
1 small onion chopped
200g artichoke hearts in olive oil, drained, oil reserved
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
A few sprigs of oregano leaves, chopped
400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
juice of half a lemon
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tbls thick, plain yogurt
25g toasted walnuts
s & p

Heat 1 tbls oil and fry the onion. Chop the artichoke hearts. Add garlic to the pan and stir for a couple of mins. Add oregano, beans, and chokes and cook until everything is heated. Tip mix into a food processor and add the lemon juice, chilli and yogurt. Blend to a corse puree. Season and add oil from the artichoke tin until you get the consistence you want. Serve warm or cold, scattered with chopped walnuts.

o

I make mine like Islay, except I use neufchatel cheese instead of the yogurt and add roasted red pepper. Can be heated OR used a cold spread. Lower fat than the mayo kind too. Can always top with some parm. cheese.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here