SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

House fire scare

Still unexplained. A few days ago, with a house full of family at our vacation home, aprox 1880 saltbox on the Newfoundland coast, our foundation caught fire. Still a bit shaken by the experience since it does not make sense...a perfect storm?. My Dad called it a BlackSwan. An unexplained occurrence. The wood cook stove was cold...had it hot the night before as it is our heat and cooking. The next afternoon we did smell something odd but thought it was back-flow like a fireplace often does in wind. It increased and Dad alarmed us. (most of us were outside painting the shed) having a blast of fun. Scary. Nothing scarier than fire.

Just be aware of old appliances picked up at yard sales. May not know about re-calls, etc.
We had the electric updated a couple years ago...the whole home. Some smoke detectors are wired in. Others are checked when we arrive with new batteries. One in every room.
I think Annie mentioned a dehydrator catching fire.

I've never been comfortable with crock-pots on all day when not at home. I like appliances watched and at home. Or in a garage out of the home.
We had fog, rain, and a calm glass bay this morning, then sun and clear skies within an hour. Very gusty winds. We don't smoke or grill here anymore outdoors. Hard to contain.

Our basement has an old goat home. (not sure what to call it). Dutch doors on an adorable room from years past. It was smoking and on fire. The wind had given the smoldering fire a path.
We had buckets of water from a 55 gallon rain barrel. A hose connected to the hand dug well, I took a hammer to the wall and ripped out drywall and took all the plug sockets off. If we were not home it may have taken our home.
It was contained very quickly though mysterious. Unexplained.
I ripped of two layer of siding like a child that has the strength to lift a car in a panic and found the source. Scary stuff. A BlackSwan.

Be safe. Use your appliances, especially old ones, with more than adequate precautions.

Comments (11)