Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Melba Jam and Boiling Water Bath Canning

Posted by aliceinmd (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 12:55

I have two questions --

1) Does anyone have a recipe for Peach Melba Jam (peaches and raspberries) that does not use added pectin? I know I'll have to cook the fruits and sugar a while and test for the jelling point, but I'd like to avoid the pectin and the added sugar it requires.

2) The rack in my (huge) boiling water bath canner does well with keeping quart jars off the floor of the pan and separated from each other, but smaller ones always touch the bottom of the pan and seem to move toward each other. Do you put a cake rack on the bottom of the water bath pan? How do you keep the 1/2 and 3/4 pint jars apart?

I appreciate any wisdom you may pass along.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Melba Jam and Boiling Water Bath Canning

You may be asking for the impossible - at least in tested, recipes. Contact your County Extension Office and see if they can help you.

You'll find information about making jam without pectin at the link below, as well as low-sugar. There were no documents for "peach melba jam".

Have you considered buying another rack that works for smaller jars? I remember my mother used to place canning rings on the bottom and set smaller jars on them. I'm not certain that's an advised method for use - it's just a long-ago memory.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Jams & Jellies - including no pectin & low-sugar

o

Here's a recipe I found online and made two years ago. I still have one jar left. It was very, very good. I might add that I also added 1 TBLSP frangelico to the jam. It is not a firm set jam.

Raspberry Peach Jam Recipe - Confettura di Lamponi e Pesche

By Kyle Phillips, About.com
When peaches are at their best and the raspberries are ripening up in the mountains, they're a perfect pair to set aside for the winter! What better way to do so than make raspberry peach jam?
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
2 1/4 pounds (1 k) peaches (ideally, white)
3/4 pound (300 g) raspberries
1 4/5 cup (800 g) sugar
The juice of a lemon
Preparation:
Blanch the peaches for a second or two in boiling water, then chill them in cool water, peel them, quarter them, and discard the pits. Rinse the raspberries, discarding any that are blemished, and gently pat them dry.

Interlayer the fruit and sugar in a bowl and let it all sit for 12 hours.

Transfer everything to a heavy-bottomed pot, and bring it to a boil over a moderate flame, stirring it occasionally. Skim the froth off the surface and cook with a slotted spoon over a lively flame, skimming and stirring, for about 15 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. A drop placed on a cool slanted plate will flow some, but not much, when it's ready.

The yield will be about 1 1/2 pints (1.5 l). Transfer the jam to jars, cover them, and boil them for 20 minutes to sterilize them.

Yield: several jars raspberry peach jam.

This assumes you know how to prepare jars for canning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Peach Jam Recipe

o

Alice, I've made a jam similar to the one posted by lpinkmountain and it came out well. I had to cook it longer than I thought I would, but it set up pretty nicely. I like a softer set than the "gummy bear" consistency that my Dad likes, LOL.

Jam is pretty much always safe, it's high acid fruit and sugar. I regularly reduce the amount of sugar used in conventional recipes if it's a recipe that doesn't call for conventional pectin. It will mold more quickly than the full sugar stuff, so I make sure to refrigerate it after opening.

Good luck and happy canning, you're going to love that jam!

Annie

o

Yes, best to can up these low sugar jams in small jars. My favorites are the rounded 8 oz. jars if you can get them. I also use the 4 oz. jars for single me and for gifts. Better to leave them wanting more than with moldy jam.

And don't worry about the safety of fruit jams, with sugar and lemon and fruit, it is a high acid sugary product, will not vector botulism spores. But it can mold when open, and does kinda fade after months and months. But my high sugar jam crystalizes after too long, so there you have it!

o

I use a kitchen towel..it likes to come up when there are no jars in there, but once you "fill" it with jars all is good.
I also didn't know I wasn't supposed to can without a "place for the jars to rest" and canned for years without putting anything between the canner and the jars..Never had any problems.

o

And it doesn't matter if the jar sides touch. Use empty jars to fill in extra space (fill with water, no lids).
You can use canning rings wired together, a cake rack, a tin pie pan pounded flat (punch some holes in it so the water can circulate and air doesn't get trapped underneath), etc. Anything, heat safe, to keep the jars off the bottom.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here