SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

What happened to my home made yogurt? It is....cheese?

After non stop successes I have a bad batch. I use an old Salton yogurt maker with the 5 white glass jars.

Instead of making yogurt, I have what looks like a layer of thick rubbery cheese on top, and loads of yellow whey underneath. I tasted it. It is not spoiled, it just tastes like bland cheese.

I did everything the same as usual, bringing whole milk just short of a boil, cooling it to 110 F, and adding a heaping tablespoon of Trader Joe's Greek Whole Milk Yogurt.

Could it be that my starter is too old? Since all I need each time is a T, I have been working off the same carton for a while. Up til now, this starter has made the best yogurt I have ever made: thick and rich. Now I have 5 jars that I can't figure out what I should do with. I can put the whey in my oatmeal, at least.

It's summer, would this happen if I incubated it too long? I did 12 hours, as normally my kitchen is cold. But it wasn't for this batch. But I would think that would just make it strong, not completely separated into a curd and whey.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)