SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Do you wash dates before eating them?

Lars
13 years ago

I found fresh dried dates in bulk in the market here last week and bought a dozen of them. I can't remember when I ate the first one, (probably last Monday) but I do remember eating one Tuesday morning and then having what I thought was a stomach flu that day. At first I thought it was merely the laxative effect of the dates, but by the afternoon, I was feeling sick. I went home at 5:00 and drank five or six glasses of water then started having severe chills (It was 77° in the house), and so I put on sweat pants, sweat shirt, warm socks, and got into bed with all the covers. By 6:00 p.m. my temperature was 100.8°, but I took some ibuprofen, and my temperature went down. I was sick the next day will severe chills in the evening and a temperature of 101.3°. I felt better on Friday and went to work, but wasn't fully recovered until yesterday. Do you think this could have been caused from eating unwashed dates? I went to my dentist on Saturday, and she said her nephew had had the same flu.

I won't eat any more unwashed dates (except for the one this morning, that I ate before thinking), but I'm wondering what is the best way to wash them. Any suggestons? I've read that packaged dates don't need to be washed, but these were loose. They are extremely good and moist, but I'm still also a bit concerned about their laxative effect. I've read that they are more effective than prunes.

Lars

Comments (21)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022