SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1401217

Peaches Are Here - Got a Favorite Recipe?

User
15 years ago

It's peach picking time here in NH and I have a bunch.

I'll be entertaining guests through the weekend (casual meals)and would love it if you could share some tried & true peach recipes for me to try. Thanks!

Comments (18)

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are some recipes from my "Fruits, Nuts and Berries" class:

TUTTI FRUTTI
    (Brandied Fruit)

Serves 24

Ingredients:

1 quart brandy
    1 quart cherries, pits removed
    1 quart raspberries
    1 cup raisins
    2 large navel oranges or blood oranges (seeded)
    1 quart sliced peaches
    1 quart apricot, in chunks
    2 medium apples, baking type
    2 cups sugar

Preparation:

Peel the oranges, separate the sections, and cut the sections into bite size pieces.

Cut the apricot slices into bite-sizes pieces.

Cut the apples into slices and cut away the seeds. Cut the slices into bite size pieces.

In a large container with a lid mix together the fruit, brandy, and sugar.

Store the container in the refrigerator and mix every day for at least three days.

This is great served over pan di spagna (Italian sponge cake) with just a dollop of whipped cream. Or served with ice cream, or over cake.

Notes: This recipe can be made over a long period of time or all at once. As fresh fruit comes into season you can add it to the fruit mixture. This means that you can have a constant supply of brandied fruit to serve during the year. If you add fruit to the container also add cup of sugar and ¼ cup of brandy with each new quart of fruit. As long as you keep the fruit mixture refrigerated and well sealed it will keep indefinitely. If you donÂt want to wait till fruit comes into season try using frozen fruit. The fruit should be colorful. Don't use fruit that is too soft, such as bananas.

MACEDONIA
    (Italian Macerated Fruit Salad)

Serves 6

Ingredients:

½ pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
    ½ pound apricots, plums, or pluots, sliced
    2 peaches, peeled if desired, sliced
    ½ pint small red/purple grapes
    2 Tbs Grand Marnier, Cointreau or other orange liqueur**
    1 Tbs superfine sugar, or more to taste
    1 tsp grated lemon zest

Preparation:

In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, apricots, peaches, and grapes.

Add the orange liqueur, one tablespoon sugar, and lemon zest. Toss gently, taste, and add more sugar if desired.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.

This is excellent topped with whipped mascarpone cheese or yogurt or use this as a topping on good ice cream.

** You may substitute rum or Sambuca.

BROILED PEACHES AND HAZELNUTS

Serves 6

Ingredients:

¼ cup hazelnuts, toasted, peeled
    4 cups peeled sliced peaches (about 1 pound)
    ¼ cup sugar

Cooking spray

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes, stirring once. Turn nuts out onto a towel. Roll up towel; rub off skins. Chop nuts.

Preheat broiler.

Combine hazelnuts, peaches, and sugar in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Arrange peach mixture in a single layer on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.

To serve

Spoon 1/3 cup ice cream into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 1 cup peach mixture and 2 teaspoons grated or shaved bittersweet chocolate.

JOE'S SUMMER FRUIT CLAFOUTIS

Serves 8

Ingredients, Preparation:

Melt 1 stick of butter in a 9 x 13 pan.

Slice 2 pounds of mostly peeled stonefruits into the pan. **

Top with ½ to 1 cup of sugar (the lesser if the fruit is sweetly ripe) and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon almond extract and ¼ teaspoon vanilla.

Set aside.

Mix together:

1 cup sugar
    ¾ cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ¾ cup milk

This should be a thin batter.

Pour it over the fruit.

Put a cookie sheet on the rack under the pan (it often boils over).

Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

** The fruit can be any combination of stone fruit: apriums, pluots, nectaplums, cherry-plums, peach-plums, Peaches, nectarines, and/or apricots) and even bramble berries (especially black berries such as boysenberries, olallieberries; use less than the stone fruits). I like about three parts stonefruit and one part berries, by weight.

PEACH BASIL ICED TEA
    (surprisingly yummy)

Serves 8

Ingredients:

3 orange pekoe tea bags
    1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
    4 cups water
    3-½ cups peach nectar
    ¼ cup chilled simple syrup (equal amounts of
    granulated sugar and water warmed to dissolve)
    4 small apriums or pluots, pitted and quartered

Method:

Prepare apriums or pluots, put into a plastic freezer bag and freeze for at least one night.

Put tea bags and basil in heatproof quart glass measure bowl. Bring water to boil and pour over tea and basil. Steep for 5 minutes.

Add simple syrup. Let cool to about room temperature and add peach nectar.

Remove basil leaves.

Can be made 2 to 3 days ahead and kept chilled.

Serve over ice with springs of fresh basil and two "ice cubes" of frozen quartered apriums/pluots.

PEACHED BAKED IN AMARETTO

Ingredients

4 ripe freestone peaches
    1 tablespoon butter
    ¼ cup packed brown sugar
    ¼ cup finely chopped almonds
    6 Italian almond macaroons, such as Amaretti, crushed
    1 tablespoon almond liqueur, such as amaretto
    1 egg yolk

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Cut peaches in half from stem to root end. Give a little twist to free one side from pit. Gently twist pit from peach half and discard. Place peach halves, cut side up, in a 10-inch baking dish greased with butter.

In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, almonds, macaroons, almond liqueur, and egg yolk. Beat with a fork to blend well. Stuff each peach hollow with almond mixture.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until peaches are soft but still hold their shape.

Serve warm with soft whipped cream and a glass of Amaretto.

Yield: 4 to 8 servings

Joe

• compumom
    15 years ago

The peaches and nectarines have been great this year. Can someone post a recipe for the peach butter and/or freezer jam?
    I bought some at Costco the other day for just this purpose.
    Thanks in advance.
    Also I love broiled peaches. They are always a hit when I serve them!
    E

• Related Discussions

Your favorite peach jam or chutney recipe please

Q

Comments (6)
    Here are few of the many previous peach recipes that have been posted here. Melly's Vanilla Bean Peach Preserves Pickled Peaches Ginger Peach Jam Annie's Pineapple Peach Salsa Honey Packed Peaches Search pulls up many more but these are my favorites. There is also the Peach Jalapeno jam in the BBB. Dave
    ...See More

Your Favorite Sangria recipe....

Q

Comments (14)
    My absolute favorite is based very closely on a recipe from LucyL here on the cooking forum years ago. I only modified it a tiny bit, mostly by using peach brandy. This recipe has made us VERY popular. :-) We served it a few years ago at our 25th anniversary, and we're serving it again (the only drink besides beer and wine) at Thing One's upcoming rehearsal dinner. It's always a huge hit. It is so refreshing on a hot summer day, and it packs a bigger wallop than you'd guess. I get a lot of requests for the recipe, and I've even had people even ask if I will make some so they can come over for a glass. Yes, really -- it's that wonderful. We don't drink OJ, so I keep 1-cup bags of both the OJ and pineapple juice in the freezer and plunk it right into the pitcher frozen; helps the chilling and makes it really convenient. Sometimes I eat some of the leftover macerated fruit for breakfast, and it's delishush, and I shcarshly feel (hic!) it at all. White Peach Sangria 1 bottle white wine (any kind) 3 ounces peach brandy 2 ounces triple sec 1 cup orange juice 1 cup pineapple juice 2 ounces simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water brought to a boil for 2 minutes in a small saucepan) and cooled. 1 peach, cut up & pureed in blender w/the simple syrup Fresh sliced or chopped peach, orange, and apple - one each per pitcher -- no need to peel peach or apple Place all ingredients in a pitcher and stir to mix. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to 48 hours. Serve over LOTS of ice.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Whats your favorite fried chicken recipe?

Q

Comments (4)
    I got this from here, I think, years and years ago. It's the BEST! Leila's Crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Makes approximately 8 servings This wonderful fried chicken was prepared for my family by Leila - an amazing woman who worked for us and practically raised my brother and I up from pups. It is full of delicious flavor and has the kind of crispy coating that you'll never forget. It is also fried chicken, so nowadays it's something that is served for special occasions only! 3-4 pounds cut-up frying chicken 2 cups buttermilk 2 cups self-rising flour Ground black pepper, to taste Paprika, to taste Garlic powder, to taste Vegetable oil for frying Step 1 - Cut your chicken into parts and wash well. Place in a large bowl and pour buttermilk over. Allow to sit for at least an hour. Step 2 - Mix and sift together flour, black pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Step 3 - Pour enough oil in a large, cast iron skillet to fill it about an inch deep. Heat to 375 degrees. Use a thermometer to carefully regulate the temperature and prevent the oil from burning. Step 4 - Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk and shake to remove the excess. Dredge in the seasoned flour. Step 5 - Drop pieces in the hot oil, four at a time. Do not crowd, as this will reduce the temperature of the oil and cause the chicken to absorb more grease. I like starting with dark meat pieces first and saving the white meat for the last. Cook each piece six minutes per side. Turn when the underside is nice and brown. To ensure doneness, cut a small hole in the thickest part - the juices should run clear. Step 6 - Serve and enjoy - either hot from the pan or room temperature! Despite some of the nutritional counts of this recipe, it is practically unbeatable for bringing back the taste (and smell) of home.
    ...See More

RECIPE: The peaches are here!

Q

Comments (29)
    This is the recipe for that peach cobbler. It was the one that my Grandma always used for every fruit, not just peach. It came from her favorite cookbook, a very old Betty Crocker. PEACH COBBLER Filling 1/2 cup sugar 1 tbls cornstarch 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon 4 cups sliced fresh peaches (canned will also work, fresh is best) 1 tsp lemon juice Topping 3 tbls shortening 1 cup flour 1 tbls sugar 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 cup milk Heat oven to 400F. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir ingredients together, then add peaches and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens, then cook and stir for one more minute. Pour into an ungreased 2 quart casserole and keep hot in the oven. Combine dry ingredients for topping and cut in shortening. Add milk and stir until well combined, then drop by tablespoons full on top of hot fruit mixture (you should be able to get 6 "drops" of dough) Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake until top is golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream. Serves 6 This is very good warm with vanilla ice cream, but my favorite filling is cherry. Annie
    ...See More
  • doucanoe
    15 years ago

Here are some more T&T's.

Peach Melba Crumble

2 c all purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp salt
    10 T butter, chilled and cut into cubes
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    3/4 c buttermilk
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    5 c sliced peaches (if using frozen, thaw first)
    1 c fresh raspberries
    1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray 9x13 baking pan with oooking spray.

Combine flour, sugar, salt & butter in work bowl of food processor. Process until mixture resembles corn meal. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture for topping.

Combine remaining flour mixture with baking powder, soda, buttermilk, egg and vanilla to form a smooth batter. Do not overmix. Spread batter into prepared pan, top with fruit. Add brown sugar to reserved flour mixture and mix well. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Coll or serve warm.

12 servings

**any sliced fruit (apples, pears, plums etc.) may be substituted for the peach slices.

Brandied Peach Jam from Ball Blue Book 1993 4 c frozen peaches, thawed 2 T lemon juie 1 c brandy 1 pkg powdered pectin 5 c sugar Drain thawed peaches and coarsely chop. Combine peaches, lemon juice, and brandy in large sauce pot. Place over medium heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in pectin and cook over high heat until mixture comes to a rolling boil. Add the sugar and return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir to distribute fruit, 3 minutes. Pour hot fruit into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. process 10 minutes in BWB. Yield about 7 half pints.

This one is from a CF member, but I have had it for so many years I don't recall whom. I like it plain without icing, too!

GEORGIA PEACH POUND CAKE

3 cups flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter, softened
    3 cups granulated sugar
    6 eggs (at room temperature)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 cups chopped, peeled peaches

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.

Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.

Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the sour cream and peaches. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 75 to 85 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
    Invert onto wire rack and cool completely.

Icing
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1 tablespoon milk
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1 (1 pound) box confectioners' sugar, sifted

Cream the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add the milk and almond extract and mix well. Add the confectioners sugar gradually, beating until smooth. Frost cake. Store leftover cake covered in
    refrigerator.

White Peach Sangria 1 bottle white wine 3 ounces brandy 2 ounces triple sec 1 cup orange juice 1 cup pineapple juice 2 ounces simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water brought to a boil for 2 minutes in a small saucepan) and cooled. 1 peach, cut up & pureed in blender w/the simple syrup Fresh sliced peaches, oranges, and apples Place all ingredients in a pitcher and stir to mix. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to 48 hours. Serve over ice. Posted by lucyny 6/07

Here is one I have been meaning to try. If I can get some good peaches soon, I will be making these!

GRILLED STUFFED PEACHES
    serves 4

4 large peaches
    2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    1/ 3 cup quick-cooking oats
    2 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 Tbs. finely chopped almonds
    1 Tbs. butter, melted
    1/ 2 tsp. cinnamon

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the whole peaches for 30 seconds. Rinse them under cold water and carefully peel the skins. Halve and pit the peaches and cut a very thin slice from the back of each so it will lie flat. In a bowl, toss the peach halves with the lemon juice.

Preheat the grill to medium heat. Combine the remaining ingredients and divide evenly, filling the centers of the peach halves. Place the filled peaches on the grill and cook, covered, for 5 or 6 minutes or until the peaches are tender. Place the peach halves on 4 plates and serve hot or warm. (161 calories per serving)

posted by Ruthanna-GW

Linda

• User
    15 years ago

Amck

I made a rustic peach galette recently that was a big hit in my home, and the best part it is a simple dessert to put together and serve.

:)

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

CHAMBORD MELBA SAUCE

10 oz. package of frozen raspberries, thawed and mashed
    1/2 cup currant jelly
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. cornstarch
    1/4 cup Chambord liqueur
    1/2 tsp. lemon juice

In a small saucepan, combine raspberries, jelly and sugar. Stir over moderate heat until boiling. Whisk in cornstarch and liqueur; then simmer gently for 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Strain and chill before serving.

To serve, place fresh, poached or frozen peaches in tall stemmed glasses; add vanilla ice cream and top with melba sauce.

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Bellini Recipe for 6

The famous original Bellini recipe was made only with prosecco, (Italian sparkling wine) and pureed white peaches.

3 ripe peaches, peeled and pitted
    Fine sparkling wine or champagne, chilled

Puree the peaches in a blender. Divide the peach puree into 6 (8-ounce) champagne flutes and top with sparkling wine or champagne. Stir once.

Baby Bellini: Substitute sparkling apple cider for the sparkling wine.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

I just made this recipe for Peach Pudding Cake about two weeks ago. It was wonderful. I have a sneaking suspicion that LindaC may have originally posted it, after all, I do have it credited to an "Iowa Cookbook". :))

Peach Pudding Cake

Iowa Cookbook

4 cups sliced peaches

Lemon juice

Cinnamon

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

2 cups flour

1 tsp. salt

1 stick butter, melted

1 cup milk

Topping:

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 tbsp. cornstarch

2 cups boiling water

In a 9 x 13 cake pan, slice fresh peaches. Sprinkle with lemon juice and cinnamon. Combine sugar, baking powder, flour and salt in mixing bowl. Blend in butter and add milk. Spread this batter on top of peaches. Sprinkle the batter with Topping.

Topping: Sprinkle sugar and cornstarch over batter. Add boiling water over top. Do not stir. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Here's some other peach recipes I really like. Peaches are coming in here now too. Fresh Peach Bread 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 1/2 cup butter 2 eggs 2 1/4 cups pureed peaches 2 cups all\-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon almond extract 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 1 cup dried cherries 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light. Add eggs and beat well. Add peach puree and dry ingredients. Blend well. Stir in almond vanilla, dried cherries and chopped pecans and until blended. Pour into two greased and floured 9x5\-inch loaf pans. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let bread cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely on wire racks Makes 2 loaves of peach bread. ..................................................... Heavenly Peach Bread 3 cups diced fresh peaches 1/4 cup Peach Schnapps or peach nectar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 cup butter, softened 1 cup granulated sugar 3 eggs 2 3/4 cups all\-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon Simmer diced peaches with Schnapps or peach nectar (I've also used plain water) until peaches are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with peach mixture. Mix just until blended. Spread batter into a greased and floured 9x5x3\-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for about 55 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a rack in pan for 10 minutes; remove to cool completely. ................................. Fresh Peach Pound Cake 1 c Butter; softened 3 c Sugar 6 Eggs; at room temperature 1 ts Vanilla extract 1 ts Almond extract 3 c Flour; all purpose 1/4 ts Baking soda 1/2 ts Salt 1/2 c Sour cream 2 c Peaches; peeled and chopped Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extracts. In small bowl, combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Fold in sour cream and chopped peaches. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Cut into thin slices to serve. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ellen, here's the Peach Butter recipe I made umpteen batches of last year. I'll be making more next week. PEACH BUTTER 4 1/2 lbs peaches, peeled, pitted and coarsley chopped 1/2 cup water Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon 4 cups granulated sugar 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional) 1\. Inb a large stainless steel saucepan, combine peaches, water and lemon zest and juice. Bring to a boil over med\-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until peaches are soft, about 20 minutes. 2\. Working in batches, transfer peach mixture to a food mill or a food processor and puree just until a uniform texture is achieved. Do not liquefy. Measure 8 cups of peach puree. 3\. In a clean large SS saucepan, combine peach puree and sugar and the almond extract if using. Bring to a boil over med\-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and holds it's shape in a spoon. 4\. Prepare canner, jars and lids. 5\. Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles, adding more hot butter if needed to maintain 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid and screw band fingertip\-tight. 6\. BWB half pints and pints 10 minutes. My notes: I did not measure the puree. I had good sized peaches and figured 3 would equal 1 lb. After the peaches were cooked I used an immersion blender to puree the peaches in the same pan, added the sugar (did a taste test and added a little more). The small amout of almond extract helps to intensify the peach flavor, peach pits have an almond flavor already. This peach butter has a wonderful golden color, if you like spiced peach butter you can add spices when you add the sugar but the color will darken and you lose the fresh peach flavor. Nancy
  • User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! I am so thrilled with the responses -

Sometimes it's hit or miss trying something for the first time from a cookbook - especially if you're planning to serve it to guests, so I really appreciate tried favorites.

I want to try so many of these - the gallette looks great, the pudding cake is intriguing as I've never had a recipe using that method for a topping. The breads sound wonderful for Sunday brunch and the Sangria and Bellini sound refreshing and delicious.

It's hard to choose what to make first. Thanks all!

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

My all time favourite way to have peaches (apart from eating them out of hand):

- (can be fresh or tinned)

1 cup sugar (200 grams)
    4 TBS flour
    4 cups sliced peaches
    1 TBS lemon juice

1) Preheat oven to 425 F (218 C)
    2) Peel and slice peaches into a mixing bowl. In another small bowl combine sugar and flour and pour them over peaches. Toss well to coat.
    3) Line pieplate with pastry and pile coated peach slices into pieplate. Sprinkle with lemon juice
    4) Roll out top crust and put on pie, flute edges, brush crust with the milk and sprinkle with sugar.
    5) Bake 10 minutes at 425F (218C) then lower heat to 350F (177C) for 35 - 40 minutes or until crust is golden.
    Be sure and have a drip-catching pan at the lower level of your oven in case the fruit juices bubble over.

Nathan's Never-Fail Pastry:
    Preheat Oven to 425F (220C):

2 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 teasp salt
    1 teasp baking powder
    1/2 pound (227 grams) lard - such as Tenderflake Lard
    1 teasp white vinegar
    1 egg slightly beaten (see point 3 below)

1) Mix flour, salt and baking powder in large bowl

1. Cut lard into flour with two knives until it's all in small crumbs

3) Beat egg in your measuring cup with a fork, then add vinegar to that and carefully add water until you have 1/2 cup of liquid mixture.

1. Add liquid to flour and mix gently with fork until all is moist. Form it into a ball.
    2. Divide into two even balls, sprinkle with flour and wrap in tin foil in two pkgs and put in fridge to cool for at least half an hour if possible.

SharonCb

• karenforroses
    15 years ago

PEACH CUSTARD PIE

This is so easy and so delicious - you can freeze it (unbaked) also.

Line an unbaked pie crust with peeled, pitted peach halves (5-10 peaches, depending on their size). Arrange the peaches cut-side up.

Mix 2 beaten eggs, 2 Tbsp. melted butter, 2 Tbsp. flour, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 cup sugar. Pour over peach halves & bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes, until browned. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for another 50-70 minutes, until custard begins to set up. (I test with the tip of a knife).

Excellent warm or chilled. Yum!

• cloudy_christine
    15 years ago

This is our favorite thing to do with peaches. Wonderful for breakfast.

Peach Kuchen

The Dough

2 packages yeast, dissolved in 1/4 c warm water
    1 tsp salt (3/4 tsp if using salted butter)
    1/3 c sugar
    1 c milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
    3 eggs
    5 cups flour
    1/2 cup butter

Mix dissolved yeast and milk with about a cup of flour. Beat in eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla and lemon rind. Add enough flour to make a medium soft dough. Work in soft butter. Knead until shiny and elastic.
    (Note: I make this in a heavy-duty processor and put in all 5 cups of flour at the beginning, along with the sugar, salt, lemon rind, eggs, and cut-up butter. The milk, vanilla and dissolved yeast go in through the feed tube while the machine is running.)
    Let rise in a buttered bowl, covered, until doubled in bulk.
    Punch down and divide in two. Let rest to relax the gluten before rolling. (Can be chilled at this point if desired.)

The Kuchen

4 or 5 ripe peaches, peeled
    1 egg mixed with 1 tsp cream
    cinnamon sugar
    the dough

Slice peaches very thinly. Drain in one layer on paper towels.

Roll each piece of dough out gently to fit into an 11" x 16" jelly roll pan. (Or any pans that add up to roughly the same area; big is better, though, because the dough rises at the edges.)
    Let rise until puffy but not doubled.

Brush with beaten egg mixture. Arrange sliced peaches on top, close but not overlapping. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Bake on the lowest rack of a preheated 350-degree oven, 25 to 30 minutes.

• User
    15 years ago

Peach Shortcakes. An alternative to Whipped cream is sour cream sweetened with brown sugar. Goes great with peaches.

I use my scone recipe for the shortcake. Dust with powdered sugar.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Scones (Raspberry, Blueberry, Fresh Currants,etc..)
    ===================================================

2 1/4 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 Tbsp. cold butter
    1 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup fresh raspberries
    extra cream and sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and
    salt. Cut butter into mixture with pastry blender until it resembles a
    course meal. Add cream and raspberries to dry ingredients. Mix lightly
    with fork until mixture forms a stiff dough. Knead on floured board
    just to incorporate all flour; try not to damage berries.

Roll into 7-inch round and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Place 1 inch apart
    on greased baking sheet; brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
    Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.

Note: When adding fruit to the scone mixture, make sure the raspberries
    or blueberries are frozen. Otherwise you end up with crushed fruit.
    Still tastes as good, but not as pretty. I usually add the cream and
    when the dough has almost come together I add the frozen fruit. With
    the Chocolate you can add it along with the cream.

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

How about Peach Ice Cream....

Peach Ice Cream

Makes about 1.5 Quarts:

6 medium peaches (about 2 lbs), peeled and stoned, or 4 cups frozen unsweetened peach slices, thawed.

1 cup sugar

3 cups heavy cream

1 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. In a large bowl, mash the peaches into a course puree. Stir in 1/4 cup of the sugar. Let stand 1 hour.

2. Add the cream, milk, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, and vanilla to peaches, stirring to blend. Refrigerate, covered, until very cold, at least 3 hours or as long as 3 days.

3. Stir the mixture to blend and pour in to the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Eat at once or transfer to a covered container and freeze up to 8 hours.

I love peaches...

Linda

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Wow, I rarely find decent peaches here, but I am saving this entire thread for when I do! Peaches are one of my favorite fruits, but often the ones we get are mealy and flavorless.

I should call my brother-in-law in Georgia and see if he'll send me a case of the real McCoy!

Linda

• girlsingardens
    15 years ago

I am glad to see all these yummy peach recipes. I have already frozen, and and made baby food out of 32 pounds of peaches earlier this summer. I also ate or the kids helped (Hayden loved them) 1/4 of a box of them. I picked 2 bushel baskets full of peaches on Thursday also picked the same of pears and apples from people who didn't want the fruit on their trees. With so many people not wanting their fruit, I don't have to plant my own (besides DH doesn't want to deal with the falling fruit. My kids will walk around with the apples that we pick eating them, including Hayden, it is so funny to see a 1 year old toddling around eating an apple. They taste so much better and are easier to eat than the store bought apples, not to mention a whole lot cheaper.

Stacie
    girlsingardens

• pat_t
    15 years ago

More for you:

STREUSEL-TOPPED PEACH MUFFINS

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. allspice
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 Tblsp. milk
    1/3 brown sugar
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup peaches, peeled and diced

For the topping:
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 Tblsp. butter

Preheat the oven to 425° F. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and allspice. In another bowl, whisk two large eggs. Add the oil, milk, brown sugar, and sour cream. Blend well. Stir in the peaches. With a spatula, mix the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture. Stir until just combined. Spoon the batter into 10 to 12 well-greased muffin tins. Ten muffins will give you large, nicely domed muffins. Fill any unused muffins cups half full of water. In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut the butter in with a pastry knife until you have a coarse mixture. Spoon the topping onto the muffins before baking. Bake for eight minutes at 425° F. Reduce the temperature to 350° F. and continue baking for another 6 to 10 minutes or until they test done with a toothpick. Let the muffins sit in the tins for a few minutes and then remove them to wire racks to cool.

Bakers note: The peaches add some liquid to this recipe. Depending on how ripe and juicy your peaches are, you may need to adjust the moisture by adding a Tblsp. of flour or milk. The batter should be thick and "spoonable".

INDIVIDUAL TOFFEE PECAN PEACH CRISPS

Filling:
    6 cups frozen sliced peaches (about 2-1/2 lbs.) thawed, (I used 9 FRESH peaches)
    3 Tblsp. sugar (I used light brown sugar)
    1 Tblsp. fresh lime juice (I used lemon juice)
    2Tblsp. all-purpose flour

Topping:
    3/4 cup all purpose flour
    1/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt (I used kosher)
    6 Tblsp. chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    3/4 cup English toffee bits (such as Skor)
    1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
    Vanilla ice cream

For filling:
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Place six 1-1/4 cup ramekins or custard cups on large baking sheet. Mix peaches, sugar, and lime juice in large bowl to blend. Divide filling among ramekins.

For topping:
    Whisk flour, brown sugar, and salt in large bowl to blend. Using fingertips, rub in butter until mixture holds together in clumps. (I did this in my food processor) Stir in toffee and pecans; sprinkle over filling. Bake crisps until filling bubbles and topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired. Makes 6 servings.

**NOTES: I baked the whole thing in a large oval Corning ware dish instead of using ramekins. It's supposed to make 6 servings, but I think you could easily get 8 out of it. All of my changes are in parentheses.

From Bon Appétit, March 2002. Notes by Linda in MO, posted at Mimis Cyber-Kitchen 7/28/02.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Among some of the recipes I've tried from this post was the "White Peach Sangria" that I served this weekend. It was a real hit.

I'm not generally a fan of fruity drinks, but this was not too sweet and the fresh peach flavor really came through. It was a refreshing "sipping drink" to serve with a cheese plate and appetizers. Thanks doucanoe!

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I absolutely adore white sangria! I can only imagine a bellini would be a slice of heavan. Peaches are my favorite fruit!