Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needing new cookware

Posted by honey_badger (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 12:07

My kitchen is in the process of being remodeled so I gave away all of my very old and well worn cookware. I will be getting a glass topped range and knew that most of my pieces would not have worked well with it. That being said, are there any recommendations out there for quality cookware that I won't need to replace for the next 30 years? I don't mind mixing and matching, but laziness might tempt me into just buying a complete set at the get go. I would like something that is easy to clean but that that isn't giving off toxins. Any suggestions? also, I'm a bit leery of cast iron as I can just see myself dropping it and cracking the cooktop:(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needing new cookware

I love my Cuisinart stainless and Todd English has a line of nonstick that is my absolute favorite.

Steve

o

Thanks Steve. I saw a set of Cuisinart cookware at Costco. Might need to take a hard look at it. Do you know if, when folks mention all clad, if that is a brand name of describing the manufacturing process?

o

All-Clad is a brand name of high-end cookware, similar to Calphalon.

I have a set of pots from Costco, and they've been terrific. Note that some manufacturers have different lines of cookware, ie Lagostina; there are some that are junk and some that are well-made...you can't just buy based on brand name anymore. Check for rivets and thickness of bottom surface, etc.

o

The article at the link will have more info than any sane person needs, but it is very informative.

In general, I'd avoid a set; for the same amount of money you can get individual pieces that might be exactly what you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: understanding stovetop cookware

o

I bought a stainless steel set of Cuisinart and I just love them.
They are a nice weight and really conduct the heat on my smooth-top stove. I use all the pieces. It comes with the pasta pot and insert, and lids for the skillets.

I use my cast-iron and am real conscious of not dropping it and shattering the top.

o

Wow, thanks for the link! my head is spinning but at least i won't be so easily swayed by dubious marketing claims when i shop for pots and pans:)

o

I have a varied collection with a number of Cuisinart pans and 2 Calphalon triply skillets. Love both brands. The tri ply skillets heat very evenly.

o

I just want to say I love your username....second only to Rule34. Nice to know you DO give a ****, though, LOL.

o

30 years is a tall order, unless you are going to order takeout 5 nights a week :-D. I liked my Costco set, but the nonstick surface was nonexistent after 5 years of heavy use (they were sink washed with the special nonstick blue sponges, too). If cast iron isn't for you, I would probably go with plain stainless steel. It's very sturdy, and you can use steel wool, stainless steel pads, etc, which makes it a snap to clean. I think copper may be sturdy too, but I can't say with any authority. If you want a nonstick pan for eggs and so forth, I'd plan on replacing or recoating it every couple of years.

o

I have pans that I use that are well more than 30 years old.....some are over 50 years old.
I have 2 Copper bottomed SS Revere pans that arfe 55 years old. A little discolored...but I suspect that if I worked on them that might clean up...but they work fine and I don't care!
I also have 2 stainless, clad Farberwear pans that are 35 years old.... my mother, who died in 83 gave them to me.
I have a small Le Cruset sauce pan...also 50 years old...I use it for sauces that need gentle slow cooking...like chocolate sauce or a cornstarch based sauce...it holds about 3 cups.
I have 2 lecruset skillets that are easily 30 years old and go stove top to oven...great for a Dutch pancake or rosti potatoes or a fritatta.

If I were starting from scratch I would buy a large 15 qu stock pot....stainless, clad bottom...brand doesn't matter...look at the discount cooking store.
And stainless, clad sauce pans...I have a 1 qr, 1 1/2 qt. 2 qt and 4 qt.....and I have an 8 qt with 2 handles that I use for pasta that is only a pound or 1 1/2 pounds.
I have an 8 inch aluminum non stick commercial skillet....and a 10 inch one and a 12 inch. I have a huge...enormous...18 inch calphalon skillet that U use maybe once a year..
And ofcourse my faves! Le cruset Dutch ovens...I have 4....3 5 qt ones and one huge 10 qt one.
Don't buy a set.....think how you cook and buy what you need.
Non stick for eggs and sauteeing veggies and a chicken breast.....sauce pans for...boiling potatoes or veggies (unlessyou are using the micro) a huge pot for stock and boiling big batches of corn or crabs or lobster....and for making jams...
Don't buy all at once....but just get the vry basics and when you see you are lacking something....then go look for that piece.

Clad stainless frypans are not the best for eggs, and a pasta pot with insert doesn't work as well as a pot and a colonder....which can also be used to wash veggies and strain beans etc etc.

o

I have pans that I use that are well more than 30 years old.....some are over 50 years old.
I have 2 Copper bottomed SS Revere pans that arfe 55 years old. A little discolored...but I suspect that if I worked on them that might clean up...but they work fine and I don't care!
I also have 2 stainless, clad Farberwear pans that are 35 years old.... my mother, who died in 83 gave them to me.
I have a small Le Cruset sauce pan...also 50 years old...I use it for sauces that need gentle slow cooking...like chocolate sauce or a cornstarch based sauce...it holds about 3 cups.
I have 2 lecruset skillets that are easily 30 years old and go stove top to oven...great for a Dutch pancake or rosti potatoes or a fritatta.

If I were starting from scratch I would buy a large 15 qu stock pot....stainless, clad bottom...brand doesn't matter...look at the discount cooking store.
And stainless, clad sauce pans...I have a 1 qr, 1 1/2 qt. 2 qt and 4 qt.....and I have an 8 qt with 2 handles that I use for pasta that is only a pound or 1 1/2 pounds.
I have an 8 inch aluminum non stick commercial skillet....and a 10 inch one and a 12 inch. I have a huge...enormous...18 inch calphalon skillet that U use maybe once a year..
And ofcourse my faves! Le cruset Dutch ovens...I have 4....3 5 qt ones and one huge 10 qt one.
Don't buy a set.....think how you cook and buy what you need.
Non stick for eggs and sauteeing veggies and a chicken breast.....sauce pans for...boiling potatoes or veggies (unlessyou are using the micro) a huge pot for stock and boiling big batches of corn or crabs or lobster....and for making jams...
Don't buy all at once....but just get the vry basics and when you see you are lacking something....then go look for that piece.

Clad stainless frypans are not the best for eggs, and a pasta pot with insert doesn't work as well as a pot and a colonder....which can also be used to wash veggies and strain beans etc etc.

o

If you decide you would like All-Clad cookware, consider this website: http://www.cookwarenmore.com/. ... I found it here or in the Kitchens Forum several years ago and have purchased several pieces through it. Home Goods and its sister stores Marshall's and T.J.Maxx occasionally have All-Clad, too. ... We bought our pans a la carte, over time, and everything is all stainless steel except for two non-stick skillets. We especially enjoy our 'casserole' All-clad pieces because they have two loop handles instead of one long handle with or without a loop. They are so much easier to store than all those long handles.

Here is a link that might be useful: All-Clad Outlet

o

Thanks all, good stuff!! Question though.... i saw on costco's website that their stainless cookware is not recommended to go in the dishwasher. Well, i have to say, that with my new kitchen remodel, i now have a dishwasher for the first time in my life, and, well, damn it, i want to put everything in it!! should i give a **** what the website says? is there a reason stainless cookware shouldn't go in the dishwasher?

o

I, too, want the ability to put cookware in the dishwasher so I only buy those advertised as dishwasher ok. Braver souls will use dishwasher without the approval.

Try googling the cookware and read other sites' to see if dishwasher is ok on other sites for the same pots/pans. It could be ok.

I love cookware, especially when I use it on my new induction cooktop. Fun!

Cooking happens better on induction and it makes the pots look good. Expensive cookware, all clad for example is not neessary on induction. There was a time when they were the most solid mfr and earned their fine reputation. They are still fine but now there are many other fine brands who do well

o

Most of my cookware goes into the dishwasher....but for aluminum.
Perhaps they's why my 55 year old Revere has sort of a grey look....but they work fine.

o

Look at Calphalon Tri-Ply stainless cookware. It goes in the dishwasher. I bought this about 4 years ago and could not believe the difference from what I was using. I do use a non-stick frypan for some things but do not find it necessary for most foods. I do have a couple of Le Crueset pieces, one is a 5.5 qt oval Dutch oven. I choose a small basic set of Calphalon and added pieces as I needed them.

o

Your asking whether you should give a **** what the website says? You're the honey badger! The crazy nasty-ass honey badger doesn't give a ****! The honey badger don't care.

o

Exactly!!! I've decided on the Costco Stainless set and it will be going in the dishwasher. Funny thing is, the website says that it isn't recommended to go in the dishwasher, but the sign in the store says it's dishwasher safe. go figure. one thing i have learned on this subject is that often the reason that putting cookware in the dishwasher is discouraged is that it is hard on the handles when the handles are some material other than stainless. Not an issue with this set. Thanks everyone:)

o

You'll find that the rivets holding on the handle will corrode somewhat in the DW. Like they are made of aluminum or something similar. Have been using a Costco set for 10 years so far, aand all is well, but I don't put them in the DW anymore, mainly because I don't run the DW every day since there are just two of ius.

o
RE: Needing new cookware/

Clarification: I did put the cookware in the DW at first. The rivets have taken on a corroded appearance, but seem to be completely tight and not affected functionally.

o

Use the dishwasher and when the pans gives out, buy something new.
The convenience of using the dishwasher far out weighs making everything last forever.
I have many things I don't put in the dishwasher, but for most daily use stuff, I use the dishwasher.
I use plastic cutting boards several times a day and they go straight in. Pretty wooden ones would be nice, but you have to pick and choose aesthetics to spend time on.
I don't mind spending ten minutes everyday making the bed, for instance, something many would never do.
But I don't like doing dishes!

o

Only thing I can think of is that stainless steel might discolor in a DW. Big deal.

Original Honey Badge video that started it all. Can anyone identify the music?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here