Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blintz filling

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 11:49

Made blintzes yesterday. Can't go wrong with them, but as per usual I wasn't satisfied with my filling. It always seems to come out too runny. The recipe was 1 lb. cottage cheese, one egg and some vanilla and cinnamon. I used half cottage cheese and half ricotta. Used low fat versions of both. I put the cottage cheese in a strainer for about an hour before using it. A little bit of liquid came out. Anyway, anyone have any tips or better recipes to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blintz filling

Just once, why not try making the recipe exactly as written without any substitutions for the ingredients or method? Then if you are pleased with the results and want to make substitutions, you'll be able to compare the two versions.

My suggestion is to make the recipe as written and see if you like that better.

o

I have made it with all cottage cheese as the recipe calls for. It is still runny then too.

o

My mom always used "pot cheese" in blintzes. However, I haven't noticed pot cheese in the supermarket in a long while.

Also, I have a recipe for Cheese Blintzes by Dorothy Mandelzweig. I've been meaning to try it but haven't done so yet. The recipe calls for 8 oz of "firm white cheese" (whatever she means by that) and 2 egg yolks, plus sugar and salt to taste and a pinch of cinnamon. If you can't find pot cheese, I'd look for a cottage cheese with a small, dry curd or else use only ricotta.

Sue

o

Drained cottage cheese and egg can't be runny when cooked.
Try adding 2 eggs....a pound of cottage, depending on the kind, should give you pretty well cheese cake consistency.
No sugar in the filling?

Try 1 pound skim milk ricotta, 1 egg and 1 yolk, 1 rounded tablespoon of sugar, pinch of salt, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp good cinnamon.
If there is liquid in the ricotta container, drain it before using.

After you add the filling? How are you cooking them? Are you frying or baking?....and are you baking lo0ng enough to0 cook the egg....which is what will make them firmer.
Linda c

o

I forgot to type the 3 TBLSP sugar, but that doesn't affect the runny-ness. I made them the traditional way, made the blintzes, (those always come out good), then made the filling and then put 2 TBLSP filling inside and folded envelope style, then fried in butter. The filling went "blat" when I put it inside the blintz and kept oozing out. Here's a photo. A little blueberry/raspberry sauce and sour cream can cover a multitude of sins.

Yeah, pot cheese would be good. Now where to find it?

o

Sugar does effect the runniness....it equals liquid in a lot of recipes.
Turn the fire down on your pan and cook them longer....or put them in the oven tented with foil....350 for about 20 to 30 minutes. You want to cook that egg.

o

Here's a recipe from Tyler Florence. I've never had a failure with his recipes. He uses cream cheese in the filling rather than cottage cheese.

Give it a try but don't substitute ANY of the ingredients. I sorta agree with Ruthanna. It's hard to judge a recipe if you've never made it as written.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Tyler Florence - Blintz Recipe

o

LOL, I was cooking them lower and longer, but they were coming undone and oozing . . . The filling oozed through the whole package and leaked out the seams instead of staying in a blob in the middle. I might try baking them for a while and then frying next time. Also, I wonder if some cream cheese might firm them up. A lot of recipes call for dry cottage cheese or dry cheese, something like maybe ricotta salata, without the salata!

o

Here's a recipe for making your own farmer's cheese...

/t

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmer's Cheese - Homemade

o

I use all ricotta in mine. Ricotta sometimes has too much liquid too, so I drain it overnight. Works great. I am reallly wanting blintzes now. Haven't made them in ages. I do have some raspberry preserves too. Yum. Btw, I'd eat your runny blintzes, no problemo.

o

Hi Laurie,
Try this recipe instead. They're not blintzes as you know it,but easy and perfect everytime. You can also sub Neufatchatel cheese and low fat cottage cheese for the regular fat.
Blintz Souffle
(Courtesy of Marlene Sorosky)

¼ lb. Butter or Margarine softened 1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup of sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder
6 eggs
1 ½ cups dairy sour cream Blintz Filling (see below)
½ cup of orange juice Blueberry syrup (following)

Blintz Filling
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese (cut up) 1 Tablespoon sugar
1 pint small curd cottage cheese (2 cups) 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg yolks

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 13x9 baking dish; set aside.
In a blender or a large bowl, (I use a blender) mix butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream, orange juice, flour and baking powder until blended. Pour half of the batter into prepared baking dish.

Prepare Blintz filling in a medium bowl or Cuisinart fitted with the metal blade, combine all ingredients until blended. Drop filling by heaping spoonfuls over batter in baking dish. With a knife, spread it evenly; it will mix slightly with the batter. Pour remaining batter over filling. Unbaked souffle may be covered and refrigerated several hours or overnight until ready to use.

Before baking, bring souffle to room temperature (or close). Bake uncovered 50-60 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve immediately with blueberry syrup and sour cream or

o

Is dry cottage cheese (as opposed to creamed, which is the regular variety) available there? That's what my mom has always used, and hence, I use it too.

o

Make my own farmer's cheese!?!! Oy vey!! :)
First it takes me an hour and 45 min. to make the blintzes, and now I need to make the cheese too??!! (Just kidding!) It would be fun, I have done it a couple of times with goat milk. And I could use the cheese in another of my favorite dishes, palak paneer! But it ain't likely that lazy cook me will do it anytime soon. I only make blintzes once in a blue moon as it is. I love them but I just don't have the time in my life for such wonderful albeit labor/time intensive dishes. I could buy them frozen but don't have the money to do that.

I sure wish I COULD find this dry type of cheese in the store, because I could use it in a lot of other dishes.

o

I've never made a blintz before and now have decided to make Tyler Florence's (He's from my hometown so he rules) recipe with a salted caramel sauce topping.

I don't need that!!

o

I use dry curd cottage cheese. I never buy the creamed stuff. It has too many unpronounceable ingredients in it.

o

I was going to ask the exact same question as the OP but found this on my search, first! The recipes all seem too runny for my liking, which is exactly why I don't like the "Golden" brand anymore (frozen, in a box - mostly the only available brand here in Calif. - or the Trader Joe's brand, which is also runny ). The recipes I've searched often show a pic of a cut-open & cooked blintz and clearly the filling is too runny. I did notice that Alton recommends putting them in the oven after frying to solidify & cook the egg in the filling, which perhaps should thicken it up somewhat. However, I have definitely decided NOT to blend or food-process the mixture, which in my mind would only contribute to the runniness of the filling. I plan to strictly stir the filling ingredients together. And, use all full-fat dairy, not low-fat - which I also think promotes a looser texture.

arline

o

Correction on my message just above: it is TYLER Florence that suggests putting them in the oven after frying to "cook the egg" ...

arline

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here