Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with a dozen extra lemons as well as limes

Posted by earthlydelights (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 11:46

I must have mentioned to one too many people that I needed a lemon and a lime. Way too many left to just rot away or fresh the garbage disposal.

I did pop one whole in the freezer last night to see how it would hold up, so far so good...i'll use it to stuff a cavity of a chicken sometime in the next week or so.

I did slice some and put in baggies to have to pop into drinks, water, use for a recipe, but don't want to be cutting up several dozen for this reason.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Maryanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with a dozen extra lemons as well as limes

You could juice them and freeze the juice for use later on.

Or make lemon or lime curd.

Lemon Curd

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup sugar
1 cup lemon juice
3 Tbsp. butter
3 eggs

PREPARATION:
Combine sugar and lemon juice in heavy medium saucepan. Stir in butter and eggs and beat well. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Pour into a one pint container and cover tightly. Refrigerate up to 2 months.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicurious lemon curd recipe

o

I'd also zest them and freeze or dry the zest for later.

o

i've been dieing to try jain's recipe using lemons instead of limes--perhaps that appeals to you too! (no, i don't have an ice cream maker. i was just going to put it into a pan and stir it around a couple of times before it solidly freezes).

Lime-Basil Sorbet jain
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 cup (approximately 6 limes) fresh lime juice
18 to 20 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
Sprig of fresh basil for each serving as a garnish
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Stir until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
In a food processor or blender, puree lime juice, sugar syrup, and chopped basil leaves.
Transfer mixture to ice cream maker, process according to manufacturer's instructions.

o

A few suggestions:

Lemon Chicken (Raos Famous Lemon Chicken - Pollo al Limone)
2 3-pound broiling chickens, halved
1/4 cup chopped Italian Parsley
Lemon Sauce:
2 cups fresh lemon juice
1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
To attain maximum heat, preheat broiler for at least 15 minutes before using.
Broil chicken halves, turning once, for about 30 minutes or until skin is golden-brown and juices run clear when bird is pierced with a fork.
Remove chicken from broiler, leaving broiler on. Using a very sharp knife, cut each half into about 6 pieces (leg, thigh, wing, 3 small breast pieces).
Place chicken on a baking sheet with sides, of a size that can fit into the broiler. Pour Lemon Sauce over the chicken and toss to coat well. If necessary, divide sauce in half and do this in two batches.
Return to broiler and broil for 3 minutes. Turn each piece and broil for an additional minute.
Remove from broiler and portion each chicken onto each of 6 warm serving plates.
Pour sauce into a heavy saucepan. Stir in parsley and place over high heat for 1 minute. Pour an equal amount of sauce over each chicken and serve with lots of crusty bread to absorb the sauce.
Directions for Lemon Sauce
Whisk together juice, oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Whisk or shake vigorously before using.
NOTES :
You'll need at least 10 lemons to get two cups of fresh juice. Bottled juice will NOT give good results. Keeping the chicken at least 4 inches from the broiler's heat source will cut down on the smoking.

Lime Meltaways
Makes about 10 dozen
The dough for these icebox cookies can be frozen in logs for up to two months.

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup confectioners' sugar

Grated zest of 2 limes

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon salt

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar until fluffy. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add to butter mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.
3. Between two 8-by-12-inch pieces of parchment paper, roll dough into two 1 1/4-inch-diameter logs. Chill at least 1 hour.
4. Heat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Remove parchment from logs; slice dough into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.
5. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag; toss to coat. Bake or freeze remaining dough. Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Lemon brownies
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter; room temperature
4 eggs
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Zest from 1 lemon
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Additional lemon zest for garnish
Preheat oven to 350. Line the bottom only of a 9X13X2-inch baking dish with Parchment paper and spray with Pam. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt; add butter. Stir together eggs, juice from 1/2 lemon and zest from 1 lemon; stir into batter and pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and cool on a rack. When brownies are cool prepare glaze by stirring together powdered sugar and 2 tablespoon lemon juice; drizzle over brownies and sprinkle with additional lemon zest.
*Recipe inspired by Orange Brownies by Robin Wilson, 39th Pillsbury Bake-off finalists. Presented on the Food Network by Paula Deen. (Original recipe called for more sugar and for orange extract, I think the real thing is better.)

Lemon dessert
Preheat oven to 375
2 Tbsp.butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c.flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. fresh lemon peel
3 eggs, separated
1 1/4 c. milk
Blend butter & sugar;add flour, salt,juice & peel.
Stir in the 3 beaten egg yolks that you've mixed with the milk.
Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
Pour into buttered 1 qu casserole and bake...I forget how long...something like 35 to 45 minutes until lightly browned.
Serves 4.

Habanero Lime Cheesecake
Crust:
1 1/2 cups wheat-meal biscuits (or about 26 graham cracker squares) ground to crumbs
Pinch salt
1/3 cup melted butter
Filling:
3 habanero peppers.. I only use one!!!
2 tablespoons sugar, plus 1 cup
24 ounces cream cheese
Pinch of salt
4 eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 lime, zested
1 very juicy or 2 less juicy limes, juiced
1 lime sliced thinly, for garnish
1whole habanero, for garnish...I omit this!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Position top rack in the center of the oven. Place a baking pan on the rack below this. Boil water.

Make crust: Mix the crumbs and salt together in a small bowl, then add butter and stir to mix. Set aside 1/cup for topping. Press the rest into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.

Turn on kitchen or stove exhaust fan. Skewer and roast the habaneros over an open flame (gas burner is fine) and set them to steam under a towel. When they are cool enough to handle, put on plastic gloves if desired. Peel and deseed habaneros, then pound in a mortar with the 2 tablespoons of sugar until a coarse paste results.

Cream the cream cheese, then add remaining sugar and salt. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time until incorporated. Add the cream and blend. Beat the zest and lime juice into this mixture. Add the habanero paste last and beat until well mixed. Pour into the crust, then gently tap the pan to level the filling. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top.

Pour boiling water into the pan on the oven's lower rack. Place the cheesecake on the rack above it. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until the cheesecake pulls away from the edge of the pan. Remove from the oven and allow to set for 20 minutes. Wrap and keep in the refrigerator overnight, or if rushed, place in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours. Garnish, if desired, with slices of lime and place a whole habanero in the center.

o

Was going to post the Rao's chicken when I saw this thread but Linda beat me to it! The Lemon chicken is one of our favorites! The lemon brownies are delicious, too!

Here's the thread that San had started way back when, it's filled with some really great things to do with extra lemons

Here is a link that might be useful: San's favorite lemon recipes thread from way back....

o

First I'd zest them and freeze the zest.

Second I'd juice them and freeze them in 1 cup measures in zip-lock bags with the air sucked-out and frozen flat so you can break off as much as you need for a recipe.

Third I'd try all the above recipes.

o

westelle, sounds like what i am going to do LOL

i fogot about that thread, thanks for posting dishes. i saw a jam/jelly recipe and although i have just made 50+ jars as the g-babe's party favors ~~ first birthday jam :-)~~ i might make some lime jelly. my brain isn't functioning now, so i'm wondering what that would be good on? or i justmight make some limoncello. wonder how limecello would be LOL

thanks to everyone for the recipes and suggestions. i so apprecaite it.

maryanne

o

I purposely buy a lot of limes/lemons at a time and then juice them & freeze in ice cube trays, then pop out the cubes and store them in a ziplock bag. Saves me from having to juice one every time I need one or having them go bad in my fridge. Juice freezes well, like having fresh whenever you need it. I MW to thaw as many cubes as needed.

o

Lenoncello or Limoncello!!! Love it!!!

o

My DD who loves lemon juice on her salads, freezes the whole lemons until she needs one, then MWs to defrost and uses them like fresh lemons. I juice and freeze in baggies but they are mostly useful for lemonade unless I need a lot of juice. Ice cubes are OK also but I've never thought to make zest and freeze that also.

o

OH WOW...thanks so much for posting the link to San's Lemon thread. I wanted to save it but never did.

Michelle

o

Mmmm, I just finished a bowl of lime sherbet, from the recipe I use for lemon sherbet, but subbed limes today.

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon sherbet

o

A friend of mine made this pie recently and it was outstanding.
Debbie

Frozen Key Lime Pie
Copyright, 2002 Barefoot Contessa Family Style
Show: Barefoot Contessa
Episode: Tex Mex
This recipe is available for a limited time only. Why?
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (10 crackers)
1/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:
6 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons grated lime zest
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 to 5 limes)

For the decoration:
1 cup (1/2 pint) cold heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Thin lime wedges

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl. Press into a 9-inch pyrex pie pan, making sure the sides and the bottom are an even thickness. Bake for 10 minutes until firm and golden. Allow to cool completely.

For the filling, beat the egg yolks and sugar on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for 5 minutes, until thick. With the mixer on medium speed, add the condensed milk, lime zest, and lime juice. Pour into the baked pie shell and freeze.

For the decoration, beat the heavy cream on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until firm. Spoon or pipe decoratively onto the pie and decorate with lime. Freeze for several hours or overnight.

Note: If you have concerns about raw eggs, combine the yolks with 1/2 cup of the lime juice used in the recipe in a double boiler. Whisk constantly over medium heat until the mixture reaches 140 degrees. Use in place of the raw egg yolks, remembering to add the remaining 1/4 cup of lime juice to the filling mixture along with the condensed milk and zest.

*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.

o

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

A quadruple batch.

I had this "problem" a few weeks ago and did just that, because it was too hot to cook; I mixed the lemons and limes. (I am lucky enough to have a citrus juicer attachment for my food processor). I put the gallon sized pitcher in the fridge and it lasted quite a while.

I use the old Better Homes and Gardens recipe, which is pretty similar to their new one:

* 3 cups cold water
* 1 cup lemon juice
* 3/4 cup sugar (Splenda works well here too)

Mix and enjoy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here