SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slc2053_gw

HELP!! I dont cook much and need a meal by Thursday for 7 people

slc2053
16 years ago

Its just me and my husband 99% of the time. On Thursday my brother, his wife and their three kids (teens) are stopping by for dinner. They live out of town and are stopping to stay for a night. I dont want to order out because they will have been on the road and will be on the road eating out already. I want to fix a nice meal, but it has to be good as my sister-in-law is a good cook and I dont want to wimp out and not attempt to make them a good mealI cant compete with her on a daily basis but want to at least show I can put a good meal together.

Any ideas for a good meal that a novice cook can pull off? If so, make it quick as I need to plan, shop, and have this meal by Thursday!

We would like to grill something if that helps!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (54)

• ann_t
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree with Linda, that a steak dinner would be easy to put together. But if I was going that route I'd go with either New York strips or beef tenderloin.

When I want something quick but still good I go with

. The chicken breasts can be cut up and marinated early in the day and put on the skewers. The Greek salad doesn't take long to put together and so good made with all the fresh tomatoes and vegetables available now. Serve with rice and a Greek potato, zucchini an green bean dish that can also be cooked earlier in the day and either warmed up or served as a side at room temperature.

For dessert serve

. You can bake the shortcakes earlier in the day and serve with fresh sliced peaches topped with sweetened whipped cream or sour cream sweetened with brown sugar.

Recipes:

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Chicken Souvlaki
    ================
    Chicken breasts
    Fresh minced garlic
    dried oregano
    lemons
    olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    . Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes

Place on wooden Skewers that have been soaked in water (prevents
    sticks from burning.. or on metal skewers.

Rub with fresh minced garlic
    and dried oregano

Squeese fresh lemons over chicken
    and some olive oil

Salt and pepper

Marinate for up to 1 hour. If marinating longer do not add lemon juice
    until the last hour. Lemon juice "cooks" the flesh and changes the
    texture.

Place on hot grill and turn often until done. Serve with Greek salad
    and rice.

NOTE: This recipe works well with Pork (I use Pork Tenderloin) and
    with Lamb

Green Bean, Zucchini and Potato Stew (Fassolakia Iadera
    =======================================================

Adapted from: Krinos Foods

(The original recipe called for a large can of tomatoes and did not include garlic or oregano.)

Green Bean, Zucchini and Potato Stew (Fassolakia Iadera)This is a traditional vegetable mixture that is often eaten cold, accompanied by hunks of country bread and feta cheese

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, halved crosswise
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    8 ounces zucchini, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
    8 ounces russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
    3/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1 to 2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped (or dried)
    1 14 ounce can of Italian-style tomatoes, chopped.
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    . Heat oil in heavy large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add
    onion and sauté 5 minutes.Add Garlic and green beans and sauté until
    onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini, potatoes, cayenne
    pepper, parsley and oregano. Pour tomatoes and their juices over
    vegetables. Add chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover and
    simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring frequently, about 45
    minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Can be prepared
    1 day ahead -- cover and refrigerate. Serve warm or at room
    temperature. 6 To 8 Servings

Raspberry Scones (Use scone recipe for Shortcakes)
    ================

2 1/4 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 Tbsp. cold butter
    1 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup fresh raspberries
    extra cream and sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and
    salt. Cut butter into mixture with pastry blender until it resembles a
    course meal. Add cream and raspberries to dry ingredients. Mix lightly
    with fork until mixture forms a stiff dough. Knead on floured board
    just to incorporate all flour; try not to damage berries.

Roll into 7-inch round and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Place 1 inch apart
    on greased baking sheet; brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
    Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.

Note: When adding fruit to the scone mixture, make sure the raspberries
    or blueberries are frozen. Otherwise you end up with crushed fruit.
    Still tastes as good, but not as pretty. I usually add the cream and
    when the dough has almost come together I add the frozen fruit. With
    the Chocolate you can add it along with the cream.

• User
    16 years ago

Kids, especially teens, don't always like steak (they may even be in a vegetarian phase, my kids passed in and out on a weekly basis), so you can't go wrong with pasta or pizza or even hamburgers for the kids, and "real" food for the adults.

Have a great visit.

• Related Discussions

A Special Meal For Special People :-)

Q

Comments (32)
    Brad I also think that canned beans are already cooked and don't need another hour of cooking, and I like beans cooked VERY ell done. Elery says one thing he'll never hear me say is "I think you cooked those beans too long", LOL. That said, I just chop up a few slices of bacon, I shoot for 6 or 8 but use what I have on hand. Dice them up, toss them in a pan, cook until crisp. Open a couple of quarts of home canned beans, you could use maybe 4 regular cans of store-bought instead. Drain off the liquid, dump into the hot bacon grease/bacon, stir. Just cook until the beans are hot all the way through. If you want to get really fancy, sprinkle some chopped or slivered almonds over top. The grandkids love green beans this way. So do most of the adults, green vegetables are always better with bacon. I agree with cynic, don't leave the guys out, some of them might really like to cook. Unless, of course, you want all the girls to yourself. (grin) Annie
    ...See More

Need help from experienced cooks and recipe people!!!

Q

Comments (17)
    Rosemary..I had to smile when I read your post. I was a cook for 46 years-had 2 of my own places, as did my mom & worked in many area eateries. Old River Rice is the ONLY rice we'd use for our rice pudding-can't tell you how many gallons I've made of it over the years. Old River is a company that hails from the south US-but when I lived in FL the past14 years-you couldn't find it anywhere. I'd 'stock up' each summer here in PA at my local grocery store & take it back to FL. Never had it w/cherries but a restaurant in NYC featured a large pork chop with Plum sauce over rice..it was delish! Your hubs will be surprised, I'm sure.
    ...See More

Are all those home cooked meals worth it?

Q

Comments (51)
    I'll be the odd (wo)man out here. I love to cook, but I've been doing since I was 11 yrs old, and frankly cooking 7 days a week is drudgery. Add in breakfast and/or lunch and it's a pain. I loved my career and it wasn't unusual to be gone 12-13 hrs, 5 days/wk. Weekends were crammed with errands and family/friends. We are fortunate to live in one of the greatest restaurant areas in the world: the San Francisco Bay Area. There is great food at all price points. You can eat for $5 or $500, but either way you could eat well -- check out NYTimes' Seth Kugel's visit last month to Portland, where he gave himself an $8/meal budget and was wowed by the amazing meals he got from the local food trucks. When I worked it wasn't unusual for us to go out 4-5x/wk. The question was, "What country do you want to eat today?" We could do Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Cal-Mex, American, Moroccan, Korean, French, Italian, Burmese, Greek, and more - all within 1 mile walk, and usually several iterations of each one (you couldn't even count how many Chinese restaurants of various regionalities there were). Now we're retired. We have both money and time. When I feel like cooking, I make the dishes that took too much time when I was working - long slow braises or slow-roasting, or dishes that just require an enormous amount of prep. But we still go out 3-5x/wk, When we travel around the area as we like to do (we just got back from Napa last week and will be in Sonoma next month), we travel specifically to eat. In Napa, we had amazing, elegant, fabulous Cal-French food that I would never bother cooking in a million years. There were brilliant combinations, such as the black cod served with a seafood sabayon, roasted matsutake mushrooms, and the tiniest perfect baby turnips that had no bitterness at all. Or an amazing carpaccio, dressed with nothing but a touch of Meyer lemon EVOO. I cook when I want to, but dining out is simply more fun. No shopping, no prep, no dirty dishes, no leftovers, no fuss. Yes, I could grow my own piquillo peppers and buy Ceylon cinnamon -- but why? I'd rather go to the great Spanish tapas restaurant a few minutes away and have them roast, skin and stuff the peppers with fresh chevre; roast, skin and sprinkle the cinnamon on fresh beets; and make that perfect paella 'tradicionale" for my spouse and the dreamy Fideua Negre, noodle paella with squid ink, for me. I mean, do I seriously want to buy a pressure cooker just for my octopus? Why should I bother cleaning and skinning a cephalopod when there's at least a dozen restaurants that make fabulous smoke-grilled octopus within 5 miles of our house? Should I want to soak the bacalhau in 8 changes of water over two days? It would just be so much easier to go to the Cuban or Portuguese or Italian restaurants, and have a couple of orders of really amazing salt cod fritters or roasted salt cod with polenta, instead! The take-out food these days is so much better quality than before. One place offers a marvelous frozen (bake it at home) chicken pot pie - perfect butter pastry, organic chicken breast and organic vegetables - all they offer is either a fried chicken sandwich on artisanal roll with housemade slaw, or the pot pie. That's it; they open 4 days/wk for 3 hrs a day and then go home to raise their baby daughter. Lines out the door every day. One specialty market with various food sellers (we lust after their pork tomahawk chop - wowie! What a hunk of meat!) has lovely little frittatas with artichoke, red pepper and Gruyere. My DH hates frittatas, so I buy one for myself while he gets the penne with San Marco marinara and Kurobuta pork meatballs; that way we both win. I loathe Food Network. When I write up reviews on the restaurants we've eaten at (I do it for my own archives, not to publish them), I often refer negatively to "Food Network chefs" - cooks who slop the food out as fast as possible, in ridiculous combinations of too many ingredients. They don't know the difference between a sauce Amoricaine and a Bordelaise. Bleh. It's taken me decades to get my DH off the crappy food he grew up with. But he's finally come around, so that when we drop $$$$ on the perfect dinner at Etoile or Spoonbar or La Folie, he says, "That was absolutely worth every penny." And you know, it is. Here is a link that might be useful: NYTimes Frugal Traveler does Portland on the cheap This post was edited by jkom51 on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 0:17
    ...See More

Any ideas for inexpensive meals for 19 people?

Q

Comments (29)
    this is always a big hit... Chalupa This is a great recipe for large crowds.....I always make this when my family comes from California for a visit. 3 to 5 lb. pork roast (the cheaper the better) 1 lb dry pinto beans (cleaned) 2 pods garlic, minced 2 tblsp. chili powder 1 tbsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. ground oregano 2 small cans diced green chilies (these are mild) 1 tbsp salt 1 tbsp pepper Put all ingredients in a large pot and cover with water. Cook covered on a low heat. Add water as needed as beans will soak up the water. Cook for about 6 hours or until the roast falls off the bone. when done remove roast from the pot careful to remove all the bones. Chop up the meat and add back to the pot. Simmer with the lid off until thick (about 30 minutes) making sure to stir occasionally so it won't stick. Serve over a bed of Fritos and add the following: grated cheese lettuce onion tomato sour cream salsa guacamole. Leftovers make great burritos.
    ...See More
  • flamingo1121
    16 years ago

Nancy, please post the potato and zucchini fritters, they look awesome!!!!

Thanks, Heidi

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Nancy,
    I want that potato zucchini fritter recipe.
    Sherry

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all who have already replied so quickly! I thought responses were quick on the Kitchen forum..you guys are awesome!

Yes, Nancy, please post your potato zucchini fritter recipe!

Actually, the picky eater is DH and he just may have to suffer...I'm more apt to have to make him a hamburger than the kids...the "kids" (19, 17, and 11) are used to eating a variety of foods and are more open to anything than DH!

Looks like now (after speaking with my brother) I'll have a couple of nights with the whole gang, so I'll be using a couple of your recipes...

I also thought about a "taco night" or something similar...putting out all the ingredients (cut up ahead of time) and then just throwing the meat together at the last minute....

I'll keep looking here for more recipes...as I'm still in need....

• kframe19
    16 years ago

Hum...

To me, that sounds like a big old pan of homemade lasagna, a green salad, garlic bread, and maybe homemade ice cream for dessert.

• pkramer60
    16 years ago

If you are a novice cook, you may not want the pressure of trying out new recipes on company.

You didn't say where you live, so I will guess you have a Costco near you. Grab some nice steaks, premade burgers for the kids, comb the aisle for sides that are either "done" or almost done. Grab dessert, breads and maybe some breakfast items too for the morning or to send along on the DB's trip. Relax and enjoy thier visit.

And try the above recipes without any pressure.

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Here are a couple of easy, delicious dishes that can be served with a tossed salad and dessert.

Nancy and Ann's menu sounds great, too, if you go with chicken.

Thai Red Curry Prawn Pasta
    Serves Four
    1 lb 2 oz (500 grams) large raw prawns, peeled and deveined
    1 t Thai red curry paste
    1 T olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 large tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
    3/4 cup (6 fl. Oz) (180 ml) white wine
    zest and juice of 1 lime
    2 T chopped fresh cilantro
    6 oz (180 grams) wholewheat spaghettini or linguine
    Lime wedges, to serve
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1. Toss the prawns with the curry paste in a bowl, until well coated
    Cover and chill for at least 2 and up to 8 hours.
    2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook just until it starts to turn golden,
    about 1 - 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, wine, lime juice and zest; bring to the boil.
    Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce reduces and thickens, about 8 minutes.
    3. Add the prawns and cook, stirring, until they are pink and firm, about 3 - 4 minutes; season to taste and stir in the cilantro.
    4. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and add the pasta to the prawn mixture.
    Toss to coat and serve with the lime wedges. Sharon Cb 02 11 07

Tuscan Garlic Chicken
    Servings: 6
    cook: 30 min(s)
    Ingredients:
    3 lb(s) Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/2 cup(s) Flour, plus 1 tablespoon
    1 Tbsp Salt
    2 tsp Black pepper
    2 tsp Italian herb seasoning
    1 lb(s) Penne pasta
    1 Tbsp Garlic, chopped
    1 Red pepper, julienne cut
    1/2 cup(s) White wine
    1/2 lb(s) Whole leaf spinach, stemmed
    12 oz Heavy cream
    1 cup(s) Parmesan cheese, grated
    Procedures:
    Preparing the Chicken:
    - Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, black pepper and Italian herb seasoning in a shallow dish.
    - Dredge chicken in the mixture, shaking off any excess.
    - Saute the chicken in batches, in a large, nonstick, oven-proof skillet - with enough oil to coat - over medium-high heat for about two to three minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp.
    - When finished, transfer the oven-proof skillet to a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
    Preparing the Pasta:
    - Cook pasta al dente (or according to package instructions).
    - Drain and set aside until needed.
    Preparing the Sauce:
    - While the pasta is cooking, heat 1/2 to 1 fluid ounce of oil in a sauce pan. Add the garlic and the red pepper and cook for approximately one minute.
    - Slowly add remaining one tablespoon of flour and stir to combine.
    - Next add the white wine and bring to a boil for about one minute. Add the spinach and the cream and bring to a boil. The sauce is done cooking when the spinach becomes wilted. Complete by stirring in the Parmesan cheese.
    Preparing Tuscan Garlic Chicken Entree:
    - Partly coat the pasta with the sauce, transfer to a large bowl (or individual dishes) and then top with the chicken, the remaining sauce and extra Parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy.
    It is much simpler than it looks. And good! Doucanoe/Linda

• lindac
    16 years ago

I agree with Peppi...unless you do it easily....do it easy ( for you).
    Ann the reason whi I suggested top sirloin was because that's what I fixed last night for the swimmer and his mom....and my was is good! I love the flavor of a Top!
    Linda C

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Linda, I agree that the flavour of top sirloin is great but it isn't always as tender, especially if the cook is inexperienced and overcooks it.

Lots of good suggestions.

Ann

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Potato & Zucchini Fritters

2 zucchini
    1 medium potato
    1 small onion
    1 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup oil

Trim zucchini and grate. Peel potato, onion and grate. Mix grated vegetables, thyme, eggs and flour together until combined. Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook tablespoons of mixture in the oil until golden brown and cooked on both sides.
    Drain on absorbent paper. Serve warm with sour cream
    makes quite a few, depending how large you make them

My notes..I used a 12" zucchini and a large russet potato, cooked in plenty of peanut oil. I omitted the thyme, so that the kids would eat it. Used about 1/4C of the mixture for each fritter. Serves 6-8

Recipe originally posted by Linda in Tn.

Nancy

• angelaid
    16 years ago

Grilled chicken
    Baked beans
    Corn on the cob
    Watermelon

Easy/peasy and, oh, so good

• shaun
    16 years ago

How about a cold tuna pasta salad?

Just mix a large can of tuna with mayo, celery,onions, salt/pepper and shell pasta. Mix well and chill. I like to serve this with French bread and cold watermelon. Strawberry shortcake would be good as a dessert too.

A pan of stuffed shells? Lasagna? BBQ Pulled Pork sandwiches?

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

I just had a houseful for the weekend and one of the big hits was chicken fajitas. Nothing could be easier but it shows well and is fun.

Sorry I don't have an exact recipe but basically you marinate skinless, boneless, chicken breasts for an hour (no more!) in lemon or lime juice, oregano, garlic and a bit of cumin.

Grill the chicken until done. Let rest a few minutes and then slice thinly.

Serve with flour tortillas, sour cream, sauted onions and sauted peppers, salsa, diced tomatoes, chopped lettuce and grated cheese.

Beef fajitas are also good and when served with the chicken fajitas makes a nice option. Lori Jean has a great corn and black bean salad that is dynamite with fajitas but I don't have it with me...but we can get it if you want it.

Another huge hit was Sue's Roadhouse Ribs, homemade potato salad, deviled eggs and Lindac's cole slaw which is vinegar based. You can make the rib sauce a day or two in advance for a very easy, low effort meal....excpet for the potato salad which is always a big PIA for me but it's sooooo good! Baked beans is a gereat alternative to potato salad as a side. If you are interested I have an easy peasy recipe.

Here is Sue's rib recipe but I don't have Lindas slaw recipe with me. If you want she'll post it, won't you Linda!

Do you have to do breakfast? If you do we have some great overnight casserole recipes floating around plus I just made the "omelettes in a bag" for a gang and it was huge hit.

Ribs - Roadhouse Grill (Sue

NOTES: You can use a good quality store bought sauce instead of making your own but it does reduce your bragging rights! LOL!!!

2 large racks pork baby back ribs
    salt
    coarse black pepper Ground
    2 Tbl vegetable oil
    1/4 Cup onion Minced
    1 1/2 Cup Water
    1/2 Cup Tomato paste
    1/2 Cup Brown sugar
    2 Tbl honey
    1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
    1 3/4 Tsp salt
    1 Tsp liquid smoke flavoring
    1 Tsp Jim Beam whiskey (optional)
    1/4 Tsp black pepper
    Fresh Ground coarse
    1/8 Tsp garlic powder
    1/8 Tsp paprika

To make the ribs, cut each large rack of ribs in half so that you have 4 half-racks. Sprinkle a light coating of salt and a more generous portion of coarse pepper over the top and bottom of each rack. Wrap the ribs in aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 2 1/2hours.

As the ribs cook, make the sauce by heating the oil in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Saut the onions for 5 minutes or until they start to brown. Add the remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/4 hours, uncovered, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside until the ribs are ready. Preheat your barbecue grill.

When ribs are finished in the oven, the meat should have pull back about 1/2-inch from the cut-ends of the bones. Remove the ribs from the oven, let them sit for 10 minutes or so, then remove the racks from the foil and put them on the grill. Grill the ribs for 3 to 4 minutes per side. They should be slightly charred in a few spots when they're finished. Brush barbecue sauce on the ribs while they're grilling, just before you serve them. Don't add the sauce too early or it will burn.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

I just did Sue's Roadhouse Ribs for the Virtual Dinner, they were oh, so good! I also like chicken or salmon, grilled and brushed with Jessica's Chipotle Lime marinade:

Lime-Chipotle Sauce
    Food processor:
    1/2 cup honey
    2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobado sauce (WAAAY too much for me, the heat wus)
    3 tablespoons brown mustard
    1/2 cup lime juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Season with salt and pepper
    Serve sauce as a marinade grilled meats, poultry, and fish if your guests don't get to it first with tortilla chips. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

good luck, and don't forget to have fun!

Annie

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all for the great ideas.

pkramer...we live in Pennsylvania, but in rural area..no Costco..closest thing we have is a Super Walmart ;-)....

I do love lasagna..BUT ...it's about 85 degrees on average here this month and we do not have air conditioning........those type of meals just seem to heavy in this heat...and they do heat up the kitchen even more!

Love all the recipes...

Also thought about a roast in crockpot...but for some reason...mine turn out tough most of time...what is the best roast for crockpot...and am I not cooking it long enough? Any recipes in this area would be appreciated!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I was going to suggest Watermelon for dessert but remembered an old time favorite of mine, Cantaloupe served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream....delicious!

Michelle

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

There are several reasons why your roast in the crock pot is tough.
    The first, is that you have a fairly new pot and they run too hot. If so, throw it out. It will never be any good.
    Second, the cut of meat. Chuck is my favorite pot roast.
    Third, you are not cooking it long enough- in the right type of crock pot.
    It doesn't matter because an oven works just as well.

Brown a chuck roast until dark brown all over but not burnt. Remove to a platter. Add a chopped onion and about 2 tab. of flour to the remaining fat. Cook slowly for 3 minutes. Add 1 can Campbells double strength beef broth but don't add water. Also add 1 cup red wine-Cabernet preferred. Sprinkle roast with pepper and dried thyme and put back in pot. Add a bay leaf to the pot. Put in the oven -in same pot- for about 5 hours at 275. This is delicious served with noodles or mashed potatoes.

However, for an August meal with no AC, skip the pot roast. It's way too heavy.

I would grill steaks or chicken.
    Baked potato bar, fresh rolls, green salad, chocolate cake for dessert.
    Cold shrimp appetizer along with some cheese and crackers.

Forget about trying to impress...they don't care anyway and no one wants to be upstaged!

• woodie
    16 years ago

I'm in the group who says "grill"! Nancy's Asian chicken is great and so easy (throw all the marinade ingredients into the blender or food processor - you don't even have to chop or mince a lot then)

Here are two of my favorite recipes (from here) for onions which go great with steak

LINDA'S BAKED VIDALIA ONIONS
    Serves 6

6 Vidalia Onions
    3 tsp salt
    1-1/2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
    1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
    6 T butter
    6 T balsamic vinegar

Light a fire in a charcoal or gas grill. Cut twelve 12-inch squares of foil. Peel the onions and trim the root end. Be careful to leave the core in place in order to hold each onion together as it cooks. Make 3-4 cuts across the top of each onion, cutting only 2/3 of the way down to create 6 to 8 partially cut wedges.
    Set each onion in the center of a double-layered foil square, root-end down. Sprinkle the onions with salt & pepper and herbs, and top each one with 1 tablespoon of butter. Pull the foil up over each onion, creating a pouch and leaving the top of the onion exposed. Pour 1 tablespoon of vinegar over each onion. If using a gas grill, place the onions on the top shelf over medium-high heat. On a charcoal grill, place the onions around the edge of the grill rack over a medium-hot fire. Cook until onions are very tender, about 1 hour.
    Place each onion in an individual bowl. The onions will spread open like a flower in the bowl. Pour the juices that have accumulated in the foil over each onion. Serve. Linda (Douyoucanoe)

Linda C's Blue Cheese Marinated Onions

Slice 4 sweet onions into a bowl and separate into rings.

Mix:

1/2 cup EVOO
    2 T fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp salt ( I omit that!)
    3 oz crumbled Maytag Blue cheese

Mix and pour over onion rings and refrigerate for at least 8 hours....stirring occasionally.

This salad is simple, pretty and delicious and might impress your SIL :-) It looks great on a large colorful platter.

FENNEL, MUSHROOM & PARMESAN SALAD

Posted by: MQmoi (My Page) on Tue, Nov 12, 02 at 11:54
    Alice Waters (Chez Panisse)

Fennel
    Lemon Juice
    Olive Oil
    S & P
    Sliced Mushrooms
    Parmesan shavings

1. Cut off the feathery tops of the fennel at the base of their stalks and remove the outer layer of the bulbs. Slice the bulbs very thin with a mandolin or a very sharp knife.
    2. Assemble the salad in layers on a large platter or on individual salad plates.
    3. First make a layer of the fennel slices. Squeeze lemon juice evenly over the fennel and drizzle with fruity olive oil, salt and pepper.
    4. Then make a layer of the mushrooms, also slice very thin. Squeeze more lemon juice over them, drizzle evenly with olive oil, salt and pepper.
    5. Grate or cut thin shavings of the Parmesan with cheese
    slicer or a vegetable peeler and arrange them on top of the salad.
    Drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately.

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

I'm a lazy cook but I like to eat. My favorite easy summer salad for family get togethers is a black bean salad, either in pita pockets, rollups and this year we had it as a taco salad. We have to deal with vegetarian kids and it seems to please everyone.

Black Bean Summer Salad Serves 8

1 (16 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    4 oz. monterey jack cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
    1 can (8 oz) whole kernel corn (or 1 cup cooked fresh kernels)
    3/4 cup sliced green onions with tops
    1 small red bell pepper, diced
    3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
    Optional: chopped sweet onion, black olives

Dressing:
    3/4 cup Pace Picante sauce
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1 clove garlic, minced

Combine beans, cheese, corn, green onions, celery, red pepper in a large bowl. Combine dressing ingredients in well covered container, shake well. Toss with bean mixture. Chill, if desired. Serve with additional Picante sauce.

For taco salad, brown well 1 to 1 1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey for the meat eaters, or thinly sliced grilled chicken or beef. Add taco seasoning to taste. Prepare a bowl with mixture of salad greens and set out with bowl of tortilla chips.

This keeps your kitchen cool and is very colorful and attractive.

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

Your idea of a taco bar is excellent, but I would add a spanish rice to fill it out. This is a recipe I've used for years--easy and so good.

SPANISH RICE
    1/3 cup chopped green pepper
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 (14 1/2 oz) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
    1/4 cup tomato sauce
    3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
    1/2 teaspoon of dry crushed red peppers
    1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
    1/2 cup boiling water
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon sugar

Saute first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large skillet until tender; drain.

Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Add enough water to tomato liquid to measure 1 cup. Add tomatoes, tomato liquid, tomato sauce, rice, bay leaf, and crushed red peppers to green pepper mixture, stirring well. Bring mixture to boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

Dissolve bouillon granules in boiling water then add chili powder and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar and add to rice mixture. Spoon into 8 inch square baking dish (if you are using oven-going skillet--don't use the baking dish). Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings.

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

Another option-- fix a Ham loaf a couple days ahead-- refrigerate. Bake a big pan of brownies a day ahead ( heck save some time , buy a boxed mix ).You'll have a quick cool meal -- when you serve it -- with or without a nice crusty roll-- add a lrg tossed salad , fresh corn on the cob -- brownie sundaes for dessert ( or a nice refreshing sherbet).

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chase, I would love to have the corn and black bean salad

Lori-Jean...you out there? Anyone have the corn and black bean salad recipe?

Thanks!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Here you go!!! I served it with Cheese Enchiladas but it would be dynamite with fajitas or tacos.

Spicy Black Bean Salsa
    =======================
    Posted by: LoriJean44 (My Page) on Mon, Jul 21, 03 at 21:07

The last black bean salsa I made was from the July 2003 Bon Appetit. Tim said it was the best black bean salsa he ever had!

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 15- to 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
    1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, blanched, or frozen corn kernels, thawed
    1-1/2 cups chopped red onion
    1-1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (about 3 medium)
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1 large ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, diced
    Tortilla chips

Whisk first 6 ingredient in large bowl to blend. Stir in beans, corn,
    onion, tomatoes, and bell pepper. Mix in avocado; season to taste with
    salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and
    refrigerate.) Transfer salsa to serving bowl. Serve with tortilla chips.

NOTE: I grilled the corn and added garlic to the salad.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

I am surprised no one has mentioned Ginger's Crockpot French Dip's. These are super easy and delicious, and served with a chopped salad would make a great summer meal!

CROCKPOT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES

2 cups water
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 whole peppercorns
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove)
    3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
    8 French or sourdough rolls, split

Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until well blended. Place roast in cooker & cover.
    Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.

~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~
    Posted by Ginger St. Thomas

We like sliced provolone cheese on ours...

Linda

• happygram
    16 years ago

The roadhouse ribs sound great, but ...

Are they the "fall off the bone" kind or the "chew it off the bone" kind?

I'm going to make them and/or the Asian chicken for company next Thursday. In our house, the Asian chicken and the black/bean corn relish have become regulars. They're delicious.

Thanks for the rib advice.

• jojoco
    16 years ago

Screeching under the wire here. This is from a post I did earlier in June. Would be a great side dish for something grilled:

This is probably my favorite summer food. Well, top three anyway.
    Orzo Summer Salad
    1 box orzo pasta
    1 large red onion, chopped
    1 green pepper; chopped
    1 yellow pepper; chopped
    1 can artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
    1 container grape tomatoes; halved
    1 cup (+ /-) feta cheese; cut into small cubes
    1 cup mixed fresh olives; coarsely chopped
    ½ bottle Paul Newman Balsamic Vinaigrette salad dressing

Cook pasta; rinse with cold water; drain and toss with ½ the salad dressing. Add all other ingredients except feta cheese. Add remaining salad dressing and then toss in feta cheese. Serve cold.

Note:
    I made this the other day and I also added leftover grilled chicken that was marinated in a lemon pepper marinade. It was a great addition.
    But with this salad, anything goes. The recipe is just a guideline. It is always the first to go at picnics and I am forever giving out this recipe.
    Jo

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Roadhouse Ribs are fall of the bone wonderful. I'm hooked!

Nancy

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Guess that depends on how much you cook them. I made them once a few years back and left them in the oven longer than the 2 1/2 hours and the meat literraly fell off the bones. Not at all how we prefer them.

We prefer chew off the bone ribs. I cook the ribs until they bend easily when held in the middle by tongs, sometimes it's only 2 hours. When not overcooked they stay in nice sections and can be cut into individual ribs. Chew off the bone but tender and moist not dry and chewy.

• shaun
    16 years ago

Hey slc2053 - I wanted to tell you about this EASY TASTY dish.

Two ingredients and you need a crock pot. I can't remember who posted this but it's incredible and simple.

1 shoulder picnic, (have butcher cut it in half so it will fit into your crock pot)
    2 cups brown sugar.

Put some brown sugar on the bottom of the crock pot, lay ham in there, cut side down and then sprinkle the brown sugar all over ham.

Cook on low for 8 yrs. OMG Good!!

Then you could serve baked sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, cut up some pineapple and some rolls!

What do you think?

• happygram
    16 years ago

Chase and Wizardmom:

Thank you. Your advice (and the ribs) will make my husband's birthday dinner perfect.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Shaun, you cook those on low for 8 YEARS? LOLOLOL That would be nice and tender, I suppose. I also suppose you meant 8 hours... (grin)

Annie

• shaun
    16 years ago

Oh Im laughing really out loud here! hahahaha! Yep 8 yrs. It goes by quick though.

Hey maybe this recipe could go along with LindaC's rolls?

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Here is a recipe for later. I can't compete with Sue's Roadhouse Ribs. They got the name.
    But mine are worth a try. You might like them better.
    They are not sweet, but a sweet and sour. The fruit gives them a flavor you will love. The majority here like it Hot and Spicy. I can't do that!
    Enjoy

Lous Broiled Spare Ribs and Finger Licking Good , Sauce

I use Country Style or Sizzlers , cut a little thicker than ½ inch

For about 3 ½ lb. of meat.
    Put a pot of water to boil, on the range top, with just enough water
    To cover the Ribs.
    Add:
    1/3 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning , Garlic Powder and Onion Powder.
    An Italian pinch of Ground Cloves , Basil and Oregano
    1/4 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
    2 Bay leaves
    Simmer for about 25 minutes If Im going to make Spaghetti Sauce later,
    Ill save this stock to thin the Tomatoes and Puree

Meanwhile, put in a small bowl :
    1/2 cup of Bullseye or Krafts Original Barbecue Sauce
    1/2 cup of Ketsup
    1/2 teaspoon of Mustard
    1/4 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning
    1/3 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
    A pinch of Cloves , Basil and Oregano
    Black Pepper - to taste.
    2 tablespoons of Brown Sugar and Maple or Pancake Syrup
    2 Heaping tablespoons of Grape Jelly and Strawberry Jam
    Smooth out the Jelly and Jam with a fork and mix well.

This may sound like overpowering sweetness but it is not.

I use a 9x 13 SS pan and lay some Sauce on the bottom.

Then I lay in the simmered Spare Ribs and spoon the Sauce on them.
    If there is some sauce left over , save it for basting when the ribs are almost done.
    I cook them in an electric range Broiler, set on Low,
    Placed on a shelf about 8 inches below the burner.
    They will cook in about 25 minutes. Test after 20 minutes
    Ummmmmmmeemm Gooooooooood !!!!!!!!

I'll put in a Recipe for Spaghetti Sauce.
    Everyone loves Pasta
    Lou said that

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Here is a recipe for Spaghetti Sauce. Everyone here say's Eeeuuugh !!! I don't like it sweet.
    It's not sweet, the small amount of sugar, is to cut down on the acid taste.
    I had a Pizzeria and never had a complaint about the food.
    If you make it , Enjoy !

Pizza Sauce
    I used Pizza Sauce which is crushed Tomatoes and Puree, with Basil.
    You can use canned tomatoes but make sure they are Italian or a deep red color.
    Some choices are Contadina , Red Pack , Hunts , All Red, = Tutto Rosso.
    A lot of others are sort of orange, red color.
    Try 1 large can of crushed tomatoes and 1 can of tomatoe Puree.
    You have to spice to your own taste. Start with 3/4 teaspoon of garlic pwd.
    (add more later to taste) 1 tablespn. of onion powder. 1 teasp. Salt.( add after cooking ,to taste.)
    3 teasp. Sugar ( add more if too acidy ). An italian pinch of pwd.cloves.
    3/4 teasp. Oregano ( or to taste ) it is strong. 1 teaspoon of Parsley,
    1/2 teasp. basil. 1/4 teasp. black pepper. ½ teaspoon + of ( Chicken flavored Soup Base )
    Large handful of Parmasan Cheese, after cooking about 1/2 hour. Add water if it is too thick.
    If you are making Spaghetti Sauce, put the cheese in last.

Continue for Spaghetti Sauce

This recipe can be used for Spagetti Sauce ( maybe you would want to cut down on the Oregano )
    also just add a can of Tomatoe Paste and water to thin a little ,
    if it is too thick it will burn easily. It will thicken as it cooks.
    ½ cup of fine chopped Onion.And 3 bay leaves . Don't forget the Chicken flavored Soup Base.
    Add uncooked Meatballs, Sausage and Chicken Thighs,(yes I use Chicken) when you start cooking.
    (cook at least 1 ½ to 2 hours )
    Take the chicken out when it is done. ( About 1 hour )
    I don't use Chicken every time I make Sauce but
    I have found it makes the best flavor when all the meats are used.
    Add the Parmasan Cheese after the sauce is cooked & stir
    ALSO !!! season to your own taste. Add more or less of what you like. Add salt now, if needed.

All my recipes come from a lot of trial and error,
    So they are Pre Errorized.
    If you are smart you will take advantage of that.

LOU, Said that !!!!!

• woodie
    16 years ago

Hey Lou, you make me smile (oh and your food sounds great too)!

Wish you still had the pizzeria, I'd stop in!

• irislover7b
    16 years ago

For a quick Spanish style rice to serve with tacos or enchiladas, I boil a bag of Success brown rice, dump it in a bowl, add some store-bought salsa, part of a can of no salt added diced tomatoes, and sometimes add part of a can of rinsed and drained (so it won't have as much sodium) black beans. If I need more servings, I boil 2 bags, and use more of the other ingredients. I use Frog Ranch medium salsa, but any would do. Very easy.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

I made a mistake on the size of the pan.
    It was a 10 x 16 Porcelin, lined with Alluminum Foil.

Hi Woodie: Thanks, Haven't talked to you for awhile. I think you were away on vacation. In the meantime, I had many problems, so I haven't been on the WFD Post. Just look in once in a while and put a thread here and there.
    If I lived close by I'd Bring you a Pizza.

Didn't think anyone paid attention to my home style cooking

slc2053 : I'm in a rural part of PA. too, Pocono's

LOU

• shaun
    16 years ago

When LOU speaks, I always listen....

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Well thank you Shaun . Come up close and I'll whisper in your ear.
    I love you! Sh!!! don't tell anyone.
    LOU

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

me too Shaun....Lou I'm so glad you are back. You always give such good, down home uncomplicated advice.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Chase : Thank you.

Shaun: I think you have someone else whispering in you ear,
    to cook a Ham for 8 years. Do you have an Italian Cook helping you ? Probably so ! and you said the H--- with the ham, let it simmer a little longer.
    BUT 8 years !!!!!
    LOU

• woodie
    16 years ago

LOL!

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok...family came and we ended up with a taco bar...worked great...given that it was indoors, and they arrived late and it was a stormy night...

However, I did try the Brushetta chicken (mentioned at top of post) on DH.....very good and very easy...

I've tried ribs..not sure where I got recipe..and they just didn't do it for me...maybe I'll have to give it another shot...

Family will all be back in a week and I'm trying another recipe...just can't decide which one..I usually want to try something that I've made at least once before...I'm very insecure!

Shaun..your crock pot recipe sounds too good to be true!

Any one have great grilling luck with shimp? Any ideas there? Thanks!

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

Sounds like it was not a good night for BBQing but sounds like you passed mustard -- THEY'RE COMING BACK FOR MORE! I don't BBQ shrimp as I hate to skewer things, takes too much time, but I have a recipe for Pesto jumbo shrimp and cajun type scampi that can be baked in oven if you're interested. Also I fix a cajun shrimp linguini that I fix. The pesto shrimp can be prepared ahead of time, individually wrapped in parchment and baked in a short time when you need it. It serves 4 which you can try out first before making for company.

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Terrapots..I would love the recipe for the cajun shrimp scampi..thanks!

Shaun, had your ham and brown sugar in crock pot tonight...LOVED IT..it was great...thanks!!!

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

SLC, sorry I didn't get get your message until tonight. Here's a couple of cajun shrimp dishes. Sounds like you're adding some great stuff to your repertoire. I really don't mind cooking as long as I don't have to deal with leftovers, so it is actually fun planning and cooking for company once in a while. Shrimp is my favorite seafood and I love creole-cajun dishes.

CAJUN STYLE BROILED SHRIMP

Serves 2 as an appetizer

5-6 uncooked shrimp
    ¼ cup butter, melted (½ stick)
    1 Tbsp. Louisiana hot sauce (Franks Red Hot or Crystal are good)
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    ¼ tsp salt
    ½ tsp coarsely ground or cracked black pepper
    ½ tsp finely chopped fresh parsley
    Pinch dried rosemary
    Lemon wedges

Prepare the oven to 400 degrees F. Shell and de-vein the shrimp.
    In a small baking dish, combine the melted butter with the hot sauce, garlic, salt, cracked pepper, parsley, and rosemary. Stir. Arrange the shrimp side by side in the baking dish and bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Immediately broil the shrimp for 2-4 minutes or until the shrimp are done, but not chewy. Squeeze some lemon juice over the shrimp. Serve the shrimp sizzling hot in the baking dish

This is from Ruths Chris Steak House and in keeping with their New Orleans flavor of many of their dishes.

CREAMY CAJUN SHRIMP LINGUINE
    From Cooking Light Magazine Serves 4

1 cup water
    1 can (14 oz) fat-free, less sodium, chicken broth
    6 oz. uncooked linguine
    1 pound med. Shrimp, peeled & de-veined
    1 ½ Tbsp. butter
    1 large red bell pepper, ½" slices
    ¼ tsp. salt
    ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 8-oz pkg. pre-sliced mushrooms
    2 tsp. all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
    2/3 cup half-&-half

Combine 1 cup water & broth in Dutch oven; bring to boil. Break pasta in half, add to pan. Boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes. Add shrimp to pan. Cover and simmer 3 more minutes or until shrimp are done; drain.

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sliced red pepper; saute 4 minutes or until moisture evaporates. Add flour, seasoning and salt to pan; saute 30 seconds. Stir in half-&-half; cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add pasta mixture and parsley to pan. Toss.

I like this with steamed broccoli, fresh French bread, and glass of red wine.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

slc2053: You didn't tell me , what part of Pa. There is a new Walmarts in Wilkes Barre , Pa. I don't know if it is a Super Walmart but I drove my Van in to go shopping. By the time they caught up with me I was done.
    I'll come over and help you to make my Spareribs, then you'll really be insecure.
    Print out the Spaghetti Sauce recipe and try it sometime.
    Guaranteed your sister in law will hate you forever !!!
    The spareribs are even better,

BUT ! if you don't want to make an impression , don't try either one.

LOU said that before and again and again.

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the recipes terrapotts...

Hawk, we live in Johnstown, PA....

Family will all be in again Tuesday...will attempt to cook out unless weather is ugly..then may just do spagetti....

3 family members will be leaving the next day (Wed.) and my brother and nephew will be staying with us until Saturday. Then nephew is off to college ...Penn State...

• shaun
    16 years ago

slc2053! Glad you tried it. I can't take credit for it tho, I got the recipe/idea here on this forum.

We love it too!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!