SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

Willted Lettuce?

I remember my mother used to make wilted lettuce. I have a container of lettuce ready to use. Mother used bacon grease, chopped onions, sugar. I think she put vinegar in the bacon grease and heated, but I am limited on the bacon. Can I substitute or just do the hot vinegar or what is your favorite recipe for this--if any? Thanks again for your help. Barb

Comments (2)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    9 years ago

Garlic in olive oil til just golden.

Spin lettuce to completely dry, and quick stir fry in olive oil.

Sprinkle pepper and fish sauce or oyster sauce and parm cheese and serve.

dcarch

• shirl36
    9 years ago

My Mom made a wilted lettuce like you described, using fresh garden lettuce and green onions using bacon grease. I always thought the bacon grease made the taste.

A couple years ago we were in Branson MO having our evening meal at a steak house. Their house salad was a wilted lettuce. We ordered and it was iceberg lettuce cut up with red onion, bacon bits, sliced green olives shredded Parmesan cheese, croutons with their house Italian dressing that had been heated and poured over.
    It was was so good. We discussed the salad with the waitress that evening. After coming home I have made it several times using all of the above ingredients and for dressing I heat fat free Kraft Italian dressing poured over the lettuce and it tastes like the steak house wilted lettuce.