Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maine/Mahogany clams

Posted by party_music50 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 11:25

Hi -- I over-did when I picked up seafood/fish items one day a couple weeks ago. I ended up with about 4 dozen extra Maine clams (I'd also call them Mahogany clams). I wanted to do something with them ASAP, so I just steamed them and put them into a freezer in their juice.

Can they be made into anything decent texture-wise after being frozen, or should I just save the freezer space and toss them now? I want to make a big batch of clam chowder with them and wonder if they'd just be like rubber now. :p If they are usable, should they be left whole?! I'd prefer to cut them into smaller pieces, but I read on-line where it's recommended to grind them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maine/Mahogany clams

They should be great for chowder. I would cut/chop them. Grinder is not a bad idea.
We are swimming in seafood right now so everything goes in the freezer. Mussels we gather as we want them. Never tried to freeze.

o

Here is a link that might help...

Here is a link that might be useful: clams

o

Yup, mussels freeze fine. Good to know.

"Freezing mussels
If you’ve cooked your fresh blue mussels and want to save them to enjoy later, that isn’t a problem. All you need to do is remove the meat of the mussels and place them in an air-tight container. Be sure to completely cover them with the broth they were cooked in. Now you will have mussels for your favorite chowder or pasta dish down the road. Mussels frozen this way will last for three to four months."

Here is a link that might be useful: storing mussels

o

Thanks for all the info, sleevendog. I had searched already which led me to freezing them in the first place. Once they were in the freezer I continued searching and read unfavorable comments about the texture after freezing. :p Based on what I've read, I think I should have cut/chopped the cooked clams before I froze them.

I have always found that mussels are very different in taste and texture from clams, and that Maine clams are always larger and tougher than Cherry Stones. I was hoping that someone had experienced the results of freezing whole clams and could say how they handled them after that.

o

Live clams can be put directly into the freezer unshucked and thawed out for later use. They can be used for any recipe calling for fresh clams.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here