SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trudy_gw

Roasted Tomato Soup Day

trudy_gw
10 years ago

Today is the day I finally have enough tomatoes to make the Roasted Tomato soup we just love!
My husband will not eat fresh tomatoes but will eat this soup. We freeze the soup without the cream for later use. I forgot to add the carrots, so mine wont have the same flavor. Have plenty of carrots in the garden, forgot to dig. Next time. Plenty more tomatoes on the vine-very slow to ripen!

Thanks Katie C for the recipe! Notice the soup may also be canned.

Here is a link and the recipe which was posted by Annie
----------------------------------------------------
Here is my favorite, from KatieC:

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
Recipe By :Katie
12 tomatoes -- *see Note
2 carrots -- cut in 1" pieces
1 large onion -- quartered
2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
olive oil
2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
cream -- to taste

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened. Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. Add cream to taste. To can: Process in a pressure canner, pints for 60 min. and quarts for 70 min.For dial gauge canners use 11 pounds pressure at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001-6000 ft. and 14 lbs. above 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft., and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft. *Note: These measurements are approximate...I use whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup.

I didn't have a stick blender so I just put the veggies through my Foley food mill after roasting them. It worked great.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Canned tomato soup

Comments (6)