Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elderberries

Posted by party_music50 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 11:20

We had a ton of rain from mid-May through early July and I've got tons of elderberries!!! I've already got some frozen, made syrup, made jam, and made jelly. Wish I had the stuff to make wine! lol!

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for elderberries? or know how I can make wine without any special ingredient(s)???!!! I once tried a favorite 'blueberry buckle' (coffee-cake type) and sub'd elderberries for the blueberries... I liked it, but I think that others didn't care for all the seeds. :p

PS: I'll also make an elderberry pie once I get some apples to add to the filling. :)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 11:22

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elderberries

Elder is the herb of the year according to the International Herb Association. I read an article in the Wichita Eagle in May about it. There is an elderberry winery near Wichita, Wyldewood Cellers, in Mulvane, KS which sells all kinds of elderberry food items.

You can dehydrate elderberries (115-degrees F) and rehydrate them to use later. The berries dry to a mere speck of their former selves. There is a recipe for elderberry tincture made from dehydrated elderberries I found here: http://www.earthclinic.com/Herbs/elderberry.html -- which is supposed to be "a natural home remedy that is much cheaper than Tamiflu to prevent and cure the flu and the common cold."

ELDERBERRY VINEGAR:
Place 2 cups of stemmed elderberries in an ovenproof dish. Cover with white distilled vinegar and cook in a 300 degrees F oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until the berries burst. Let the mixture stand overnight, then strain.

The link below has a lot of elderberry ideas.... Maybe one will catch your eye.

There is a great line in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" where they are taunting the French ..."Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries." If anyone mentions elderberries around our family, we immediately quote this line, and the even funnier preceding and following lines - but I digress :-).

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterst - Elderberry/Elderflower/ Elder Bark 2013 Herb of the Year

o
RE: Elderberries

lol! I love that movie. What's your favorite color? red, no blue, no, AAAHHHHHHHH! :O)

Thanks, grainlady, for the laugh and the link/ideas! I will definitely try the elderberry liquor! and the elderberry fudge sounds great too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here