SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbsim1

Delicious!!! Greek Meatballs Recipe

gbsim1
13 years ago

I've been travelling for the past week without internet, but before I spend time catching up with the CF I wanted to share this recipe that I made last night.

It was bursting with flavor and soooo easy.... a cutting board, one bowl and the roasting pan was all it required. No browning only about 30 min in the oven and they were excellent! I served them on some orzo with a squeeze of lemon and a drizzle of olive oil.

Grace

Recipe from the Whole Foods iphone app...

GREEK MEATBALLS WITH ROASTED RED PEPPERS AND MINT

Makes about 16 meatballs

Based upon the hallmarks of Greek cooking - roasted red peppers, mint, oregano, and feta cheese - these meatballs are so resonant in flavor that you can simply serve them in their own juices. Alternately, eat them with marinara sauce or Cucumber Raita, or serve them on a nest of warm orzo with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.

From The Whole Foods Market Cookbook

(note from Grace: I reduced the amount of roasted red peppers by half. I also put the feta in the bowl first and spent some time breaking up the biggest chunks before adding the beef. I thought the feta would melt away in the oven, but to my surprise there were still visible chunks of white feta after baking!_

Ingredients

1 pound lean ground beef

1 cup crumbled feta cheese

1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

2 tablespoons chopped mint

2 tablespoons chopped oregano

2 teaspoons lemon juice

2 teaspoons lemon pepper

1 teaspoon salt

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry, and chopped

Method

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix beef, feta cheese, parsley, mint, oregano, lemon juice, lemon pepper, salt, garlic and peppers together in a large bowl, blending in cheese until no large crumbles remain. Using a 2-ounce scoop (1/8 cup) to measure, roll into 16 meatballs and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake until browned and cooked through, about 25 minutes.

Comments (14)