SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fearlessem

Chocolate Babka Recipe for Compumom -- Author Please Take Credit!

fearlessem
16 years ago

Hi Compumom --

Sorry, just noticed your request for the babka recipe on the other thread. Thought I would post it for all as it is SOOOOO GOOD! I am almost sure I pulled it off of this site back in the winter, but I have done a search and can't find who to thank (I have gotten better these days at recording who the recipe was from when I print it out, but wasn't back then...) So whoever you are, stand up and take credit for this outstanding recipe!

A few of my notes -- this recipe is designed for making the dough in a bread maker, but I just make it in my stand mixer... Also note, that the bread gets rolled up along its long edge, so as to preserve its length, and then gets "zig zagged" into the loaf pan, so that it gets that characteristic squiggly swirl that babka has.

Chocolate Babka

1/3 cup milk

cup water

1 ½ TB butter

2 eggs (one separated, reserving one egg white for bread wash)

3 TB sugar

¼ tsp salt

¼ tsp vanilla extract

2 ¼ cups flour 1 Pkt of Yeast (2 ¼ tsp)

Put the above ingredients (minus the one egg white) in the breadmaker and start the dough cycle.

Streusel Topping:

1 TB softened butter

¼ tsp cinnamon

3 TB powdered sugar

3 TB flour

Mix together with a fork until evenly combined. Set aside.

Filling:

3 TB cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/3 cup sugar

1 ½ TB butter melted

Combine cocoa and sugar and set aside.

When dough cycle is complete, remove dough from bread maker and knead gently on a floured surface. Roll into a 10x20 inch rectangle. Brush the surface with the 1 ½ TB of butter for filling, leaving a ½ inch margin on all edges. Sprinkle the filling evenly over the melted butter.

Starting with a 20 inch side, roll the rectangle tightly, jelly-roll fashion. Pinch edge to seal.

Zigzag the roll back and forth into a well-greased 4 ½ x 8 ½ loaf pan. Let rise until almost doubled in size (~40 minutes). Preheat oven to 350. Beat reserved egg white with 1 tsp water. Brush egg white mixture over the loaf and sprinkle the streusel topping overtop. Bake until loaf is well browned, about 30 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool on a wire rack.

Comments (4)