Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone remember Mike Roy?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 10:38

I do NOT remember Mike Roy--he died when I was about 3. But I do have a recipe that's been handed around called "Mike Roy's Carrot Cake" that is really good (and in part explains his somewhat early demise).

Does anyone remember this guy, or have any of his cookbooks? I see he had a crockpot cookbook. Oh my. Any recommendations on a particular book, or was this guy not so good? I shouldn't base my understanding of a chef on one recipe but it's just not a name one sees very often.

Yes, the carrot muffin thread got me thinking about carrot cake...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone remember Mike Roy?

Never heard of him.....never saw him on TV....must have been regional.
Linda c

o

My friend Suzanne has the cookbook, and uses several recipes with regularity. I also found it on Amazon, and you can buy it used.

I remember Mike Roy forever (I'm a lot older than you!) Loved the way he gave out the recipe on the radio and his partner (who was that), would repeat carefully and make sure you could follow along.. "1 tablespoon" would become "one tablespoon with a big T".

I see from this that the partner was Dennis Bracken. And that Mike was also the announcer for Duffy's Tavern, which I remember vaguely, too.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19760628&id=MxwMAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dF0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5975,4055010

Try a Google search, it's very interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mike Roy's crockpot book

o

So how about sharing his carrot cake recipe?
How is it different from today's carrot cake recipes?

Rusty

o

Linda, it was cooking on the radio, not TV. And I want the recipe, too!

o

Radio cooking! That explains a lot. It's not pretty. Here's the recipe I have. It may have changed from the original before I got it...heck, Mike Roy may have had nothing to do with it. It's only different from other recipes in that it's a glazed rectangular sticky mass instead of a pretty cream cheese layer cake. Yes, I might use additional cinnamon...

Mike Roy's Carrot Cake

3 eggs
2 C sugar
1 1/2 C Wesson oil
2 C grated carrots
1 C crushed pineapple, drained
1 C Angel Flake coconut
2 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 C chopped nuts
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and line with waxed paper a 9x13" pan.

Beat eggs, add sugar and oil and beat well. Add carrots, pineapple, and coconut and mix well.

Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together and add to moist ingredients. Mix well, then add nuts and vanilla.

Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 1 hour. Do not open oven for first 50 minutes.

Spoon glaze over hot cake.

Glaze

1 C buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp white Karo syrup
1/2 cube butter or margarine
1 C sugar

Cook glaze ingredients at a rapid boil for 5 minutes in a large saucepan. Stir constantly. Then spoon over cake.

o

Here's what I got from Suzanne:

"LOVE MIKE ROY'S CROCKPOT COOKBOOK!!! It has the best split pea and ham soup recipe and many others, too. Poor book is a mess from being used so much. I don't remember where I got the book, but I think it was when I got my first crock pot --they were a very new 'trendy' thing at the time. Who knew how crucial a kitchen item they would become."

o

Hmmmm, although I suppose I am old enough, the only Mike Roy I remember is Erica Kane's true love from All My Children, maybe not food related, but he was a sweetheart!

o

I was going to say the same thing woodie... the only Mike Roy I know of is from AMC. He and Erica made a great team. NancyLouise

o

He was hot!

o

OMG woodie2 & nancylouise, that was my first thought too!!!! Erica Kane's hubby--the really cute hot one who was a genuine good guy and loved her truly and she had a good thing with him, finally!!! (then of course, you know soap operas...all that changes!)

o

Haha I used to watch AMC back in my high school and college days, but alas, DH teased me, so I quit. Erica was only interested in Tara's honey, Ruth and Joe's son. What was his name? Philip?

Mike Roy? My father used to listen to him while he was at work. If he had time he'd write down and bring home a recipe or two. I think the baked bean recipe was his and maybe some type of punch, but I'll ask Mom. That was even before AMC!

o

WOW!!!! Talk about a "Voice From The Past"! I used to listen to his popular radio broadcast, without fail, on WCAU, Philadelphia! Didn't know that he had authored any cookbooks. Any cookbooks that he wrote must be a valued collector's item by this time. I do have a few recipes around that I scribbled down while listening to his broadcasts.

P.S. Don't tell anyone, but am a very senior, senior citizen!!

o

Thanks for posting the recipe, fori.

Rusty

o

Hope you enjoy it, Rusty--it's almost a vegetable, right? Never mind it takes almost as much fat as sugar...

Thanks for passing on the review, Sushipup. Talk about sign of the times--he also did one called "Cooking with Astrology" with newspaper astrologer Sydney Omarr. (I went through much of my childhood thinking Omar Shariff did a horoscope column in addition to acting. I think this guy is the reason.)

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for the cookbooks. The Crockpot one ranges in online prices from around $6 to over $200. I guess it's time to go all retro myself and hit the LIBRARY?!

o

I vaguely remember a cooking duo on the radio from the sixties--was he the guy who had a cool sounding voice, sort of like a cross between Bing Crosby and the Sugar Smacks bear?

o

Yes, he had a wonderful radio voice.

o

Thanks to all for your interest after all of these years! Yes indeed, Dad was an exceptional chef and excellent writer.
Having just utilized "The Mike Roy Cookbook Number Two: Everyday Recipes (from 1968)" to prepare our Thanksgiving feast, I must say, his work is still delicious!
For those seeking more info, you might like to check out http://www.accuracyproject.org/cbe-Roy,Mike.html. I'm hoping to add more info to this site later this year.
Enjoy and be good to yourselves!

o

That carrot cake recipe looks a lot like the one I use to make in the 1970's. Only I also added cream cheese frosting. It was great! Here is a interesting article written by his daughter. He wrote 12 cookbooks!
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Radio Homemakers : Mike Roy, My Pop

o

What fun to hear from his son!!...I'm sorry to say I don't remember Mike Roy...but I sure do remember Duffy's Tavern...Arcie speakin'.

o

I remember him from the radio when I lived in California in the 60's. He was good cook and his rotund physique was a testament to it. I agree, he had a great radio voice. I still have his crockpot cookery book and use his recipes. The pages are starting to come loose but I just rubberband them together. It also was the first time I bought a crockpot.

o

How fun that after 3 years, Dana found this thread! Thank you for linking to the Times article. I now understand why my Dad liked listening to your dad. I do remember his imposing size but having a friendly voice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here