Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
don't ya hate when that happens?

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 10:32

Made peach jam last evening...
For some reason I thought I had used the recipe in the certo box....so I mindlessly read it....began peeling and chopping the fruit...one eye on the TV....came to add the sugar.....and thought holy cow! that's a lot of sugar....added the sugar and juice of a lemon....thought I didn't remember doing that before.... and as I am stirring...I am remembering that 2 years ago I made a batch that I over cooked and it got a bit of a caramel taste....this called for only cooking a minute?

So when I got it into the jars, it's jars half full of fruit and the other half is peach flavored syrup....
GAAH!
That wasn't the recipe I meant to use!
So....this morning I rushed out and bought more peaches (and jar lids!) and will try to figure out what recipe I used 2 years ago......and what to do with 9 jars of peach flavored syrup.....might make a good base for a sweet and sour mustardy hot sauce for pork or chicken....what do you think?
Linda C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: don't ya hate when that happens?

I have been making it with Sure Jell for years but this year tried the Ball Pectin that comes in a container. On the Ball website they give you amounts for different sized batches, nice. I think I get a better fresh fruit flavor than if I used a longer cooked jam method.

I'd use the stuff your not thrilled with as a base for sweet and sour sauce, there are other savory ideas that I know you'll think of. Brush some on pork chops or pork tenderloin... use as a glaze.... on quick bread or muffins... try making a salad dressing... pancakes or French toast...

Nancy

o

I'd puree it and call it Peachy Keen Syrup then use it to make Bellini's or to put between layers of sponge cake for jelly roll (then covered in whipped cream of course).

Nancy

o

It won't go to waste....maybe waist....but not waste!!
Love the idea of the sponge cake....and I already was planning on it as a meat glaze....

For this next batch maybe I better read the sure jell recipe!

o

I have a recipe for oven bbq'd ribs that uses the syrup from a can of peaches...it would probably work well in that application.

o

Could you add some more water, boil it, and then pur�e and freeze it to make some peach Italian water ice?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here