Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concept of WFD threads?

Posted by party_music50 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 10:21

haha! it may be a little late to be asking this, but exactly what is the concept behind the WFD threads?! I figured out that 'WFD' meant What's For Dinner. ;^) I notice that some people post magazine-quality food photos (YUM!), and some don't.... some people describe how something was made, and some don't.... Is it about getting new ideas or is it a food photos thing or ???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concept of WFD threads?

Just a conversation about what you've been cooking, stuff that doesn't necessarily warrant a new thread. Pictures are optional (and enjoyed by many - don't need to be professional quality), recipes optional, whatever you want really. I find it a great inspiration.

o

First thing I look for every day. I like to see what everyone is cooking/eating. Love the pictures. I find it a great inspiration also.

o

The WFD thread dates back to about 2002 or '03 when a member from Saskatchewan first suggested it. And I believe it was Mitch that first suggested including photos. And it took off from there. It is the longest running thread on the Cooking Forum.

~Ann

o

I really enjoy the WFD thread. A lot of the pics can be printed and framed!!

It inspires me, or at least makes me dream of having meals like ones here.

I like posting some pics, some are great, and some meals aren't worthy or exciting enough to post pictures. The WFD is all good!!

o

ahhhhh.... thanks, everyone, for explaining it. FOAS, it makes perfect sense when you say "stuff that doesn't necessarily warrant a new thread". And the 'inspiration' part certainly explains why I don't see posts about someone having a bowl of cereal for dinner. LOL!

I've hung around this cooking forum for at least 9 years but I am sometimes confused by common posts. I can't tell you how long it took me to figure out what POOF means! Is there a FAQ or 'commonly asked questions' writeup anywhere for this forum?

o

There is a FAQ page. The link is at the top of the page,just under the heading Cooking.

~Ann

o

Thank you, ann_t! I never noticed the FAQ link way up there and it looks like there are FAQs for many of the forums!

I checked and don't see anywhere that the usage of WFD and acronyms like POOF are defined though. I also expected to see commonly referenced recipes there (like Annie's 'Habanero Gold Jelly') but didn't find it yet. lol!

o

I always enjoy the WFD thread but seldom post to it...just too lazy.

When it first started it started as a "question" about what people were thinking of having for dinner and then morphed into a What WAS For Dinner ...which is all good.

I oft times get inspired to make something I see or read about there.

o

You can always ask; someone will always be happy to decipher, and some other reader will probably be glad that you did!

o

Thanks for that, FOAS! I was beginning to think I was sounding like a PITA! :O)

o

here ya go!!!

Habanero Gold Jelly (Annie)

Servings

1/3 Cup finely sliced dried apricots
3/4 Cup white vinegar
1/4 up finely diced red onion
1/4 Cup finely diced sweet red pepper
1/4 Cup finely diced habanero peppers, including seeds
OR 1/4 cup diced, combined jalapeno and Scotch Bonnet pepp
3 Cup granulated sugar
1 pouch Certo liquid pectin

Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices. Measure into a large deep stainless steel saucepan with vinegar; let stand 4 hours. Individually, cut onion and seeded peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into 1/4 inch dice. Measure each ingredient; add to apricots. Stir in sugar.

Over high heat, bring to a full roiling boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in pectin, mixing well.

Pour jelly into hot jars, dividing solids equally among jars and filling each jar to within 1/4 inch of top rim. Wipe rims. Apply lids.

Process 10 minutes in BWB. Cool upright, until lids pop down, about 30 minutes. When lids are concave but the jelly is still hot, carefully grasp jar without disturbing lid and invert, twist, or rotate each jar to distribute solids throughout jelly. The jar can be inverted temporarily but do not allow it to stand upside-down for prolonged periods.

o

Thank you for posting the recipe, Chase! I've been wanting to try making it for the longest time. Can anyone tell me how many pints the recipe makes?

I just finished making a small batch of elderberry jelly and was imagining how it would taste with some hot peppers in it! lol!

This post was edited by party_music50 on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 10:49

o

Party, I can add a "dictionary" to the FAQ if you like.

Besides POOF and WFD are there others you would like added?

~Ann

o

I added a Dictionary to the FAQ.

o

How about " carp" LOL

o

That's great, ann_t! I'd love to see not just acronyms defined, but what things are all about. e.g., WFD is "what's for dinner" and the intent of the WFD thread(s). I'd also love to see one place where I can go for explanations of the "cook alongs", the "exchanges", and other periodic threads/events.

It would be great if this forum had a database of recipes that is indexed by ingredients... and a better search engine! but I think I want too much. LOL!

o

Party...it's way more fun to just ask. We love to share and it always sparks a conversation.

You will never , ever, hear anyone here bash anyone for not looking something up.

Looking things up is not as much fun......;)

o

I agree with Chase. You'll never get chastised for not looking things up. I lurk at another forum, and heaven forbid if you happen to ask a question that's been asked before!! They are quite snarky in telling you to use the Search button.

It took me a long time to figure out what POOF and POOP meant! LOL. Even IRL I had to think about (in real life).

Ask away, Party.

o

Party, it was discussed in the past and almost everyone was in agreement that there was no need to have a database for recipes.

What has always been the case of Cooking Forum members is that no one minds answering a question or posting a recipe no matter how often it has been answered or posted before.

I have tried to save all of the Cook-along threads to FAQ.

~Ann

o

Party_music, one thing about a publicly owned forum with thousands of members like this one versus a blog or forum "owned" by one person who defines and sets its tone and limits is that it in a constant state of flux, depending on who posts that day or what threads are started.

One example is that there is a button near the top for Conversations. That will take you to non-cooking related threads shared by Cooking Forum members to keep the main page about cooking, menu planning, new cooking ideas and techniques, etc.

Sometimes it's hard to decide whether a topic like another study about the merits of margarine vs. butter belongs on the Cooking page or the Conversations page and there is no rule anywhere that exactly defines where would be the best spot for it. Personally, I think notifications of cooking or baking items on sale at a website belong in conversations but no one seems to mind if they're on the cooking page.

If ten people post tonight what they had for dinner in text only, I'd enjoy reading about it as much as if they posted a photo.

So just post away and have fun.

o

wow, you guys are easy! I'm definitely used to forums where you get yelled at for not searching yourself. I love to search and always do -- too much, in fact -- but that doesn't mean I always find what I'm looking for. :)

jasdip, now I'll wonder all night what POOP is! seriously. :p

Ruthanna, I do know about Conversations and think to check it once in awhile. I've posted there too. I'm anxiously awaiting the results of my NYS Fair entries, and may post there depending on the results. lol!

Now that I understand the usage of 'WFD' better, I know the perfect thing to post.

o

Thanks, Chase for posting the Habanero Gold Jelly recipe. I've seen it (Habanero Gold) referred to numerous times, but never have seen the recipe or really known if it was a salsa or a jelly.

Do you know approximately how many jars it makes?

o

Not many lzbeth maybe 3-4.....here is the same recipe scaled up to make 6 jars. This is the version I use. Really good stuff!!!

Big Batch Habanero Gold (Carol Calls It Hot N Sweet Confetti Jelly)

Servings

1 Cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice)
Note: Could use dried peaches or pears
-instead.
1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and
-minced red onion (1/8" dice),
-approximately half-and-half.
1/4 Cup Habanero peppers
Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce
1 1/2 Cup white vinegar
6 Cup sugar
1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin (I used Ball, which I've decided I like better than Ce

Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.
Stir occasionally if convenient.

Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute. Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids. Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.

When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.

Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

o

Thanks, Chase! If I'm going to the effort, I would rather have more finished product!

Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here