Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas to use up beef liver

Posted by dbarron (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 10:19

I have several pounds of beef liver that my father won't eat (I live with him, he's 90 (sigh)), and I have been thinking about things to do with it, especially after seeing a food network show where they made sausage out of pork liver and other things.

Something ground would fit Dad's bill (he can hardly chew), so a sausage would be good. Can anyone suggest something that would use the liver and hopefully preclude a lot of livery taste ? I wouldn't mind mixing other meats in as well, I happen to have at least a couple pounds of venison that I wouldn't mind donating to the project. Any other purchasable items are fine as well.

Thanks for your insights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas to use up beef liver

If your dad doesn't like liver, beef liver is still going to taste like liver to him, no matter how you prepare it. Sausage made with liver will still taste like liver.

I like liver and two dishes come to mind that might make it both palatable and easy to chew - liver knepp (dumplings) and New Orleans dirty rice.

LIVER DUMPLINGS

3 slices bread
1/2 pound liver
1 small onion
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 cup flour
Beef broth, about 2 quarts

Break up bread in a medium-size bowl and cover with water. Grind raw liver and onion in food chopper. Squeeze water out of bread; them combine liver with bread. Add spices and seasonings. Stir in beaten egg and flour.

Drop from a teaspoon into boiling broth. Cook, covered, for 25 minutes.

Notes: I like to add some chopped fresh spinach and/or watercress, a grated carrot, and some sliced mushrooms to the broth along with the dumplings. You can also add 1/4 cup of red wine to the broth.

NEW ORLEANS DIRTY RICE

1 1/2 c. rice, raw
1/2 lb. ground sausage
1/2 lb. minced liver
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 c. bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c. celery, chopped
1 tbsp. minced parsley
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 can beef broth
1 tsp. Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Saute sausage, liver and vegetables. Add rice and stir so rice is well greased. Add creole seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Also add beef broth and 2 cans water. Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees, covered. Stir before serving.

o

Hmm, I will consider the dumplings. I don't think it's the flavor so much as the relative leatheriness of fried liver..but toning the flavor down wouldn't hurt.

o

I like it but would never make it for someone who doesn't intentionally. Have you searched to see how to make pate or liver sausage? But then you say you have pounds, maybe that wouldn't keep long. If it were me I'd chop off enough to cook for myself and keep it in the freezer to do the same until it's gone.

o

Give it to a dog! :D

o

I haven't eaten liver in years, but used to make liver and onions that was very tender. IIRC I dipped it in flour and then browned both sides in oil-sliced onions, too. I then added a cup or so of beef bouillon or broth and simmered in a covered skillet till tender.

o

I just made a batch of liverwurst a few months ago, and there was none left after about a week. My mother "appropriated" the last piece and I need to make more. It was better than I had even anticipated, and I like liver.

photo IMG_0198-2.jpg

The recipe (and many others) is at the link.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Liverwurst

o

I don't know if adding other flavours would help but this recipe is very tender.
Dust liver in flour and brown. Add onions and a crushed garlic clove and cook. Add a few rashers of bacon and cook. Add a spoon of flour, and cook. add a glass of red wine, a squirt of tomato puree and some beef stock. Simmer very gently for a out 30 mins - the bacon will start to disappear into the sauce and it should be rich and thick. The liver should be very tender. For even better results, put the lot into a casserole with a tight fitting lid and cook in a slow oven for an hour and a half.

o

Now liverwurst is something I never thought of...if only I hadn't given away my smoker :( Both of us love even store bought liverwurst. I'd have loved to try it, but I don't think I can justify a smoker to make it (lol).

I had to move and the old greasy smoker just didn't look like a good idea to move with my household goods a couple years ago.

o

in simple words. just love and accept your father just as he is before he dies. you will be glad you did. Help your father to avoid liver if that is his wish.

I know because my daughter is just like you. and I am over 70 and can relate to your father.

throw the liver out. your father is worth more than the liver.

or you eat it. you seem to think liver is so great then you eat it. respect your fathers wishes.

get on your hands and knees and pray to god that you may love your father just as god loves him. and stop shoving liver down the poor man. he is 90 years old and has earned more respect.

o

Lol, Chewy2U, you really shouldn't speak without being spoken to. You don't have any idea of my personal relationship (or the lack thereof) with my father.
Some parents deserve respect, some deserve liver.

Besides that, I grew up in a culture where you don't waste anything...especially not food.

This post was edited by dbarron on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 9:55

o

you can bury anything.. in a chili ... lol ...

i mean.. a lot of them are made with beef heart ... so why not liver ...

and do note.. i am winging it here... i have no recipe ... nor experience ... just thinking out loud ...

what do you think ??? .. any of you ..????

ken

o
RE:my recipe

i realize i am dabbling in a forum i dont belong ...

thx for the personal email ...

here is my EASY .. 'bland to most of you' chili recipe ... since your dad dont like heat ...

it taste better days later.. so i do a big recipe ... my version of big.. lol..

1.5 pounds ground beef [i dont know why you couldnt trade out half liver ... cook it.. and grind it]
2 cans campbells tomato soup
one medium can brooks chili beans MILD [i said we were whimps.. lol]
one can brooks MILD tomatoes for chili ...[ first two pix at link]

been eating this since i was 5.. a comfort food.. mixed half and half with MAC ... noodles of some kind ...

i realize this is a cooking forum... and my version is more of a canned food prep.. but mock me not.. lol ...

you can vary the bean amounts.. designed on how much fiber you really want dad to have.. lol .. wink..wink.. know what i mean ... lol .. sometimes i add a second smaller can for family entertainment.. if you get my drift ...lol

and if you like tomato chunks .. you could double such ... 2 of us like such.. two dont.. so i go with one ...

i figure.. if you like hot... you can add that at the table ... but dad cant remove it from the cooked chili ...

based on all this.. i dont have any idea.. how he could find the liver in it ... lol ...

let me know if you try it ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I have always loved liver.
My husband claimed he didn't like it.
However, when I made this recipe,
He scarfed it up in no time!
Might be worth a try,
You might like it,
Even if your father doesn't.
Being 90 doesn't mean one can't try
(and possibly find out they LIKE)
Something new!

Liver Loaf

Cover 1 pound liver with hot water
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Drain, reserve 1 C stock.
Cut 1 pound ham into small chunks.
Put Liver, 1 med onion, and ham through medium blade of food grinder.
Add 1 C soft bread crumbs, 1 tsp salt*, dash of pepper,
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce*, I/2 tsp celery salt*, 2 beaten eggs, and reserved stock.
Form loaf in loaf pan, top with 3 slices of bacon that have been halved.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Drain off any excess fat*, allow to stand for 10 minutes.
Approx. 8 servings.

Leftovers are good sliced, each slice lightly browned on each side, and topped with a slice of cheese of your choice.
Slip under a broiler for a minute or two, to melt and lightly brown the cheese.

*This recipe originally called for one pound of ground pork rather than ham. So I omit the salt entirely, and use a scant 1/2 tsp of celery powder to replace the celery salt, and omit the Worcestershire. And there may not be any excess fat to drain.
I've never made it using the originally called for pound of ground pork, but it's definitely another good idea, I think.

Rusty

o

You know Rusty, that's what I'm talking about...I'm going to try that tomorrow, will have to buy some ham. It sounds good and I love to try new things. I feel the ham and bacon will help the flavor along, and eggs do seem to make things millder (even if just used as a binder).
Worst case, he won't eat it..and that will be no worse than now. He won't eat beans (which he used to love), he won't eat leftovers (for unknown reasons). I have to fool him with the leftovers by making casseroles and omelettes, which I don't really mind. I like to cook, and of course like most cooks, I prefer people to eat and like my food. Sometimes I have found things that just really work well together and he compliments it (rare..but it *has* happened).
Since we do like liverworst, and liverloaf, this reminds me somewhat of that....so wish me luck!

o

Dbarron, I sincerely hope it works for you,
I'll be interested to know your results!

It does seem that as we age our 'taste buds' change.
And not necessarily with any rhyme or reason.
Does your father have any signs of Alzheimer's/dementia?
That really can have an affect on tastes
And bring on other "unusual" eating habits.

Rusty

o

Officially the VA has never diagnosed him with dementia, but I know he exhibits signs of it: (poor decisions, won't take anyone's word for anything, can't learn to work Dish remote (had for 10 yrs), hasn't ever known my name (calls me his brother's name, half the time...ALL my life), etc. He's 90.

My mother died last year, and I have lived here taking care of him (and her) for two years. I'm an only child, and I figured it's my last chance to not be totally alone.

o

Good luck with your liver adventures. Rusty is right about the strange eating habits of the elderly. It never hurts to try something new just because they might enjoy it. My mom always prided herself on not eating hamburgers and french fries. But at 92 and suffering from some dementia, she suddenly enjoyed going to McDonald's. Actually I was happy we had found a place that was pleasant for her. The small burger was soft enough to chew without difficulty and the fries were easy to eat. And she enjoyed watching the families & kids.

Hope you find a way to use up that liver. Even if your dad doesn't like your latest creation, perhaps you'll have discovered a new recipe or two for you to use.

o

Well, the ham and liver are ground up and all mixed...waiting for me to cook for lunch.

I always have "adventures" with the meat grinder...we don't use it often enough to remember how to put it together and always have false starts and messes. Today, I had liver backed up and sprayed about just a little bit (ick). I swear I'm gonna wash it and fully assemble it before putting away...vs putting away in parts.

o

Serve it with grits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here