Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dinner ideas with Salt Potatoes?

Posted by ScotGidley (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 10:05

Its 29th anniversary of my parents so I would like to cook something that will be their favorite dish.Can anyone tell me,how it would be,if i add some salt on the boiled potatoes slices.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dinner ideas with Salt Potatoes?

Let them add the salt themselves.

o

"Let them add the salt themselves."

Is that why your name is Lazy gardener? LOL!

Let them add the salt themselves is a good idea. You can buy many different flavored salts, 5, 10 different kinds. Put the salts in front of them, they will really enjoy the potatoes trying out different gourmet salts.

dcarch

o

I'd salt the water before boiling the potatoes.

o

Scot - when I first opened this thread I thought you might be talking about the salt roasted/baked potatoes.

Please provide a little more detail on the potato dish. What else are you making?

Teresa

o

THESE are salt potatoes. And so good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt Potatoes

o

Rose - I read the Wiki info. They sound delicious!

o

You could try slow cooked corned beef with Guinness Stout or other Irish beer to go with your salted potatoes. See my link below for the full recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guinness Corned Beef With Cabbage

o

There are potatoes that are salted, and then there are salt potatoes, an upstate New York tradition. They are right up there with buffalo wings. Really. Saul potatoes are small potatoes that are boiled with their skins on in heavily salted water. After they have been drained, they are served bathed in melted butter in those little paper rectangular bowls. It is love at first bite.

Jo

o

My first salt potatoes upstate NY were in a 5 lb thick paper bag with a salt packet included. It was a fine powered salt like flour. And small 'new potatoes'. Still cold and damp as if they were freshly dug that day. Once drained, the salty power sticks to the skins like a fog. Not overly salty. Heavenly.
Good with any outdoor august grill. Fresh corn, succotash, bbq chicken. Thick slices of garden tomatoes.

o

I don't know if we'll hear from Scot again. He was busted for about a half-dozen posts on the various recipe forums for linking to a site selling salt, whether relevant to the recipe or not.

o

...nevermind...

This post was edited by foodonastump on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 22:38

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here