Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Inspiration - Rainy Day Dinner

Posted by amck (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 10:02

I have a boatload of chores to do on this rainy day, but I still have to put dinner on the table.

Anyone have ideas for a not-too-time-consuming, not too rich (it's Monday...)yet soul satisfying dinner. In winter time this would be a "chowder day" but it's still too warm for that. Thanks -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Inspiration - Rainy Day Dinner

I'd vote for chili in the crockpot. On busy days I like to make it around lunch time and put it on low to cook for the afernoon. While you make the chili you can also get the dry ingredients ready for cornbread to bake later so it's warm when you sit down :-)

Becky

o

Rainy days are breakfast food days for us - omellets or waffles or both!

o

Is it a warm rainy day or a cool rainy day?

If the former, like soft summer rain with fireflies and distant thunder, then I'm thinking summer salad, plenty of fresh tomatoes, and a bit of pasta with pesto. With chilled white wine. Served on a cafe table in the greenhouse, amid the scent of damp earth, or on the porch with candles and fireflies.

If the latter, like chilly gusty gimme-shelter weather, then a simple beef stew with roast potatoes would take 20 min of actual work and fill the house with cozy scents. Use your very simplest recipe, accompany with a red wine, not a fine bottle but a sturdy table wine of ouvriers and paysans, poured into thick glass tumblers on a bare wooden table near the hearth.

o

Got sauce?

A nice sauce Bolognese, spooned over polenta, served with chunky mixed veggies quick sauteed with fresh herbs & garlic. A green salad to start if you're feeling a bit more ambitious.

I like dishes reminiscent of Winter on rainy days, even if it's warm, but not as "rib-sticking."

A nice pan seared steak, served with caramelized onions and sauteed peppers, whole new potatoes tossed with fresh herbs & corn on the cob? All easy, but tasty with a hearty feel.

o

Rainy here too , meatloaf with mashed potatoes and fresh green beans or Shepherd's Pie is sounding good to me.

o

Thank you for the suggestions. Headed to the grocery store, and haven't decided yet, but the above posts have nudged me out of my cooking funk.

We had grilled chicken twice over the weekend - totally different meals, but knew I didn't want chicken today yet couldn't think of much else that didn't feel too heavy.

It's not that cold - mid 60's - but it's more raw than that soft summer rain feeling. It's definitely an eat-in dinner day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here