Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fried chicken - breading fell off - any tips?

Posted by scottv (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 9:45

I made some pan fried chicken last night and everything went well but the breading fell of the chicken. Is there a way to not have that happen?

I decided to brine the chicken in 1/4 c salt dissolved in 1 cup water during the day while I was at work and then I used this recipe -

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_5022,00.html?rsrc=like

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fried chicken - breading fell off - any tips?

I don't know if this matters but it might - I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

o

Make sure your chicken is VERY dry before you start the breading process.

Dredge the chicken in flour or corn starch then tap off as much of it as you can.

Quickly dip the chicken in the egg/milk mixture, and then into the breading mixture.

Move to a rack and let the crust set for several minutes.

When you put the chicken in the pan, do it SLOWLY so that the hot oil has a chance to set the crust a bit before it hits the bottom of the pan. Otherwise the crust might stick to the bottom of the pan and tear off.

o

I agree with Kframe, and make sure your oil is hot before you add the chicken.

Annie

o

Start with the chicken very cold, then follow kframe's instructions. However, before cooking, refrigerate the coated chicken for at least half an hour beforehand. This 'sets' the crumb coating. It also helps to do a 'double-dip' ie dip and coat a second time.

The oil must be very hot before you add the chicken, and you must not overcrowd the pan. As you add the chicken, the oil cools quite quickly, so wait half a minute or so before adding another piece - don't add all the pieces at one time. If necessary, when cooking a large batch, cook a few pieces first and keep the cooked ones hot and crisp on a rack in the oven while doing the remainder. (Must be on a rack so any remaining oil in the crust doesn't turn the crust into a soggy mass.)

Also, try to turn the chicken as few times as possible - the more you 'fiddle' with it, the more likely the coating will come off. Aim for turning just once if possible.

o

We did it a bit differently where I grew up in the South:

Southern Fried Chicken

1 small broiler/fryer chicken
1 cup flour
Salt
Black pepper
Vegetable oil

Cut the fryer into serving pieces. Wash and pat dry. Mix flour, salt and pepper in brown paper bag. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat. Heat oil (only enough oil to come halfway up the chicken pieces) in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet till hot. Add chicken pieces and cook until golden brown, turning once or twice. Cook heavy pieces longer. Remove from skillet, drain on paper towels and serve hot.

NOTE: Some cooks lower the heat slightly after the first turning and cover the skillet. After a few minutes the lid is removed and the heat turned up to brown.

This is NOT a crispy coating, but it's the way we do it where I grew up just South of Atlanta. PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME HOW LONG ANY STEP TAKES... it takes as long as it takes.

o

We've always done it like kayskats here in South Carolina where I live, except my mother didn't use a bag. She put the flour, salt and pepper on a plate, rolled the chicken in it, and shook off the excess. I use a bag because it's easier and less messy (for me). Then we use the leftover flour, salt and pepper to make gravy in the pan after the chicken is removed. I use a bag for fried fish, too, but instead of just flour, I use part flour and part cornmeal, usually. And we don't make gravy when we fry fish.

o

Scotty : In the Restuarant, I did it like Kframe19 but I seasoned the flour with some onion and garlic powder.

Shake it and into the egg mixture and then into the seasoned bread crumbs. Cover with the crumbs and Pat them a little.
Then into the hot frying pan. I took them out, onto paper towels to absorb some of the oil.

For the bread Crumb Mixture :
I used San Georgio Italian Seasoned Bread crumbs and added a tablespoon of flour,
some Garlic Powder ,Onion Powder, Parmesan Cheese,Black Pepper, Parsley Flakes and Salt.
I have tried the Cheaper store brands but didn't like them. I think they are made with White Bread crumbs.

If you are using a cast Iron Frying Pan , get it hot first before you put the oil in the pan.
Cook the chicken in hot oil but not smoking hot.
Hope this Helps,
LOU said all of that ?????

PS: Don't forget to say Thank You to someone.

o

I had trouble with the breading falling off fried chicken and started baking my "fried" chicken. Just use the recipe for fried chicken but spread out the pieces on a tin foil lined cookie sheet and bake it. Spray foil lightly with Pam. Remove the chicken when it is hot, otherwise sometimes it will stick to the foil.

Michelle

o

Well whaddaya know, Now I know where my Mom's fried chicken comes from. She didn't do it often, but when she did,she made it like Kayskats! I am glad to know this. She was from S.C. but left as a kid. And was reluctant to talk about her childhood a little mystery solved. No one else I know here in MD does it like that. She died 12 years ago this coming Saturday (hit by drunk driver. I was going to properly introduce myself but couldn't not respond to this post.Thanks,Sue -who came here by way of the kitchen forum.

o

sue, I'm sorry to hear about your mother, my sympathies. I'm sure Saturday is going to be difficult for you.

Welcome to the Cooking Forum, BTW. Grandma's chicken was always crunchy but I have an Aunt from West Virginia whose fried chicken was done kayskat's way too, I'm sure.

It's all good, depending on which you like best! Isn't that right Lou?

Annie

o

Annie: That's right !!!
And after you try mine you will know ?
Can't help it ! I'm an an Italian Yankee,
who makes Southern Fried Chicken, Italian Style.
I'll send you 2 Previcid.

LOU

o
PS - breading fell off - any tips?

Annie: That's right !!!
And after you try mine you will know ?
Can't help it ! I'm an an Italian Yankee,
who makes Southern Fried Chicken, Italian Style.
I'll send you 2 Previcid.

LOU

o

when my mom died a few years back, we buried her in the family plot beside the 200-year old family church just south of Atlanta. After the graveside service the family gathered in the dining hall where the women of the church had prepared a meal for the family. The centerpiece of the meal was fried chicken as I described it above -- it was incredibly comforting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here