Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning apple syrup?

Posted by ngraham (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 8:33

I've seen recipes for canning berry syrups, but can't find anything on cinnamon apple syrups for canning. I have a recipe for apple syrup, but it is only for a small amount & doens't say anything about canning it. Is there a reason for that? Seems like it would be safe, lots of sugar. I just don't want to go to the work of canning something & find out it's all wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning apple syrup?

Will you post your ingredients? I would bet your recipe is safe to can....it's pretty much like runny jelly.

o

I had wondered about just making apple jelly & not adding any pectin. But my recipe for syrup simply about a cup of apple juice with 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, about a tablespoon of sugar, & 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. I have also added more sugar & omitted the cornstarch. I imagine the cornstarch wouldn't work well with canning, but I've found recipes that just call for cooking down cider. I've made berry syrups basically using equal amounts sugar & juice,cooked them down & been happy with that. Seems like I could just make juice from the apples & do the same thing. As you say, it is just runny jelly. There are plenty of recipes for canning apple juice & jelly, I was just afraid maybe there is some reason I don't find a recipe for syrup. Of course, it is probably taken for granted that you can do it & not have to ask silly questions like I'm doing :)

o

I only use and recommend canning recipes with current research backing them for food safety like those found at the National Center for Home Food Preservation, the canning book, "So Easy to Preserve", 5th edition, University of Georgia, Cooperative Extension, and the only commercial book following recommendations from the USDA, the "Ball Blue Book". When in doubt, I call or send an e-mail to my State Extension Food Safety Contact, who has been an instructor for classes I've taken over the years. The link below gives these contacts by state.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: State Extension Food Safety Contacts

o

Thanks!

o

My Ball Complete Book of Canning has a recipe for Apple Cinnamon syrup that makes 6 pints.

Apple Cinnamon Syrup

6 cups apple juice
3 cinnamon sticks, broken up
5 cups sugar
4 cups water
3 cups corn syrup
1/4 cup lemon juice

Combine apple juice and cinnamon sticks in a large saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes, and set aside. Next, combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Boil to 260*F. Add apple juice and corn syrup to sugar syrup. Boil 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks. Stir in the lemon juice. Ladle the hot syrup into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Adust caps. Process in a boiling water canner 10 minutes.

Yield: about 6 pints.

Happy Canning!

Annie

o

Thanks Annie, I made a batch that tastes pretty good, but this looks like it might be more flavorful, I'll save this recipe. Plenty of apples to make another batch.

o

ngraham, you're welcome. I haven't tried it, the 5 cups of sugar and 3 cups of corn syrup seemed pretty sweet, depending on what it's used for.

It definitely can be done, though. I've made different fruit syrups using Linda Lou's recipe from the Harvest Forum, maybe it would work for apple cinnamon.....

Canning Syrups
Source: Linda Lou - Harvest Forum

Syrups made from blackberries, huckleberries, raspberries, boysenberries, loganberries, sour cherries, and Island Belle grapes as well as mixtures of berries are of good flavor, color, and consistency (thin like maple syrup, medium thick like corn syrup, or slightly jelled). Syrups can be made with or without pectin and lemon juice. Lemon juice may improve color. Use of pectin will vary consistency.

To Prepare Fruit Puree:
Sort, stem, and wash ripe fruit or thaw frozen unsweetened fruit; crush fruit thoroughly; measure crushed fruit. Add 1 cup boiling water to each 4 cups crushed fruit and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer to soften--about 5 for soft fruits...about 10 minutes for firm fruits like cherries and grapes. Press through sieve.

SYRUPS MADE WITH PUREE
4 cups puree
4 cups sugar
1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)
3 or 4 Tbsp lemon juice (if desired)

1. Mix puree, sugar, pectin and lemon juice.
2. Bring to boil and stir for 2 minutes (boil till jelly thermometer reaches 218F).
3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from canner and cool.
6. Check lids, label, and store in cool, dry place.

To Prepare Fruit Juice:
Sort, stem and wash ripe fruit or thaw frozen, unsweetened fruit; crush fruit thoroughly. Place crushed fruit in dampened jelly bag and drain. For clearest juice, do not press bag to extract juice. For firm fruits, heat is needed to start flow of juice. Add about 1/2 cup water to each 3 cups crushed fruit. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Place hot fruit in dampened jelly bag; drain.

SYRUPS MADE WITH JUICE
4 cups juice
4 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice (if desired)
1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)

1. Mix juice, sugar, lemon juice and pectin.
2. Bring to boil and boil 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint canning jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
Remove lid and let sit another 5 min. in the canner.
5. Remove from canner and let cool.
6. Check lids, labels, and store in cool, dry place.

Since there are directions for making syrup with fruit juice, as well as those for puree, I think you could use apple juice and add your cinnamon. Or maybe melt in some of those cinnamon red hots and make it a pretty color, like candy apples...

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here