SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seagrass_gw

Corn off the cob

I've finally found some really great Dutch sweet corn (suiker maize) and made several recipes (posted below) using it cut off the cob before cooking. What a mess that is! Can anyone give me tips on how to do that without the corn flying all over the kitchen (my Australian Shepherds LOVE it!)

SUMMER GARDEN TORTOLLONI

1 (8-ounce) bag dried cheese tortelloni

1 large garlic clove, finely chopped

2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into strips

2 cups corn (from 4 ears)

1/2 stick unsalted butter

2 medium tomatoes

1/2 cup chopped basil

Cook tortelloni in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (2 tablespoons salt for 6 quarts water) according to package instructions.

While tortelloni boils, cook garlic, prosciutto, corn, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until corn is just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop tomatoes.

Combine corn mixture and tomatoes in a large bowl.

Reserve 1/4 cup pasta-cooking water, then drain tortelloni and add to vegetables along with reserved cooking water and basil. Toss well and season with salt and pepper.

Makes 4 servings

Gourmet

August 2007

BOURBON CREAMED CORN

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter

1 cup chopped shallots (about 4 large)

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped

3 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 5 medium ears)

2/3 cup whipping cream, divided

1/4 cup bourbon

1 1/4 cups chopped green onions (about 6), divided

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add red bell pepper; sauté 1 minute. Add corn; sauté until almost tender, about 2 minutes. Add 1/3 cup cream and bourbon. Simmer until sauce thickly coats corn, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add remaining 1/3 cup cream and 1 cup green onions. Simmer until sauce thickens enough to coat corn thinly, about 2 minutes longer. Season creamed corn to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup green onions and serve.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Bon Appétit

R.S.V.P.

September 2004

----------------------------------------------------------

We made a wonderful meal from the summer garden tortelloni with ingredients I had on hand plus the sweet corn. It was delicious!

The "creamed corn for grown-ups" might not be to everyone's taste but we love it!!

seagrass

Comments (14)