Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best way to eat patty pan squash

Posted by bettyd_z7_va (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 8:08

Hi All,

I usually just lurk and learn here, but I need some help with a new (for me) veggie.

My friend was going out of town and gave me a bag of various veggies that her neighbor had given her.

There was ONE patty pan squash in the bag. I've never tried it and would really like to prepare it in a way that I could enhance the flavor. It is large enough for one nice serving.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Betty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best way to eat patty pan squash

Pattypans are quite similar to zucchini or other soft skin or "Summer" squashes, and can be cooked in the same ways. They are a bit more dense than zucchini, and thus hold up better in stewed dishes or to reheating.

Enjoy!

o

Earlier this week I fixed one large patty pan by stuffing it:

~ I cut off a thin sliver on the bottom so it would sit securely in a baking dish

~ cut off hard part near the stem end

~ cut out a cone wedge of the stem end about 3" wide and chopped up the flesh in this cone

~ sauteed some onion, bell pepper, the squash, and garlic in a little olive oil until tender, then added in some dried bread crumbs, Italian seasonings, s&p, and cooked until well blended and crumbs were crispy

~ put this stuffing in the cavity created by the cone cut-out, pushed some small cubes of swiss cheese into the stuffing and set the squash in a small baking dish, adding a little water to the bottom; baked at 350 until the squash was tender, then put some more cubes of cheese on top of the stuffing and baked until they were melted. It was pretty good, but I decided the flavor of this squash was not as good as other squash. But, it may have been too big, as I felt the need to remove the seeds in the bottom below the cone I cut out.

Teresa

o

Thanks Rachelellen and Teresa,

I think I may go the stuffing route with maybe a little tomato introduced into the mix.

If nothing happens, it will be my lunch tomorrow.

I will let you know how it turned out.

Thanks again,

Betty

o

I had my first one last night. Sliced into finger-size slices, dipped in egg (with a dash of Tabasco) then in seasoned flour and fried. Used Ranch dressing for a dip. I loved it!

o

Angel,

Sounds Yummy! I just put mine in the oven.

Prepared sort of like Teresa did her's.

I added a little butter to the interior of the squash before adding the filling. I also added a few teaspoons of peach salsa mixed with the filling to give it a little bite.

Can't wait until it's done! I'm hungry!

Dern! I just scrolled back up and read that Teresa added some italian seasoning, and I didn't.

Oh well...the peach salsa will be my seasoning.

Betty

o

We love it cut into small cubes and sauteed in butter with onions and garlic. We also add Italian seasoning to it.

o

I ate the whole thing in one sitting! lol

It was good. I got a little carried away with the peach salsa, which overpowered the taste of the squash, but it was still good.

The squash is a bit bland and I probably wouldn't grow it in my small garden space, but I would certainly cook and eat any that was given to me.

I will try to find some at the Farmer's Market to cook for DH and DS to get their opinion.

Can't try it with the onion/garlic. (allergic)

I have an Italian seasoning that doesn't have onion/garlic in it that I will try next time.

OK, so maybe I WOULD plant one or two plants. lol

Betty

o

I like squash brushed with a bit of olive oil and then grilled.

o

Grilled is my favorite way to eat zucchini and crooked neck. With sea salt. YUM!

Betty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here