Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil substitution question for grainlady

Posted by laceyvail (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 5:46

Zucchini bread recipes call for a lot of oil. Can I use cocoanut oil, and if so would I use the same amount and would the recipe be healthier?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil substitution question for grainlady

"Healthier" is so subjective....so you'll have to define that for yourself.

Yep, you can use coconut oil. I use it all the time in baked goods. Without a peek at the entire recipe you could probably start with reducing the amount by 25%.

When I first started using coconut oil (in the 90's) the label suggested you could generally reduce the amount of vegetable oil in a recipe by 25% if you substituted it with coconut oil, and get the same results.

If a quick bread recipe calls for 1 cup of fat/oil I'll generally reduce it by 50%, but more reduction than that and I may need to add something like flaxmeal, chia seeds or chia seed gel, unsweetened applesauce, agave nectar, or kefir/yogurt/buttermilk, to help maintain moistness. Low-fat or fat-free baked goods tend to dry more rapidly.

Your other option is to choose low-fat recipes.

ZUCCHINI LEMON BREAD
(Note: I have also used this recipe for muffins and reduce the baking time.)

1 c. all-purpose flour (I substitute freshly-milled spelt)
1-1/3 c. whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
3 T. vegetable oil
1 c. sugar (I use 3/4 c. palm sugar or 1/3 c. agave nectar)
2 T. lemon juice
1 c. packed shredded zucchini (1 med. zucchini)
1 T. grated lemon peel

1. Heat the oven to 350-degrees F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.

2. In a large bowl, mix both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, and nutmeg.

3. In a medium-size bowl, beat the eggs, oil, sugar, and lemon juice until well blended. Stir in the zucchini and lemon peel.

4. Add the zucchini mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.

5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Turn the bread out onto the rack and cool completely.

Makes 16 slices. Per slice: 148 cal, 3g pro, 26g carb, 4g fat, 27mg chol, 143mg sodium.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I make this recipe a lot in the summer when zucchini are plentiful.

MICROWAVE ZUCCHINI BREAD RING
(source: Pillsbury - Summer-Sational Side Dishes)

2 T. dry bread crumbs (I use almond flour.)
3/4 c. Pillsbury's BEST All Purpose or Unbleached Flour (I use spelt)
3/4 c. Pillsbury's BEST Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 c. sugar (I use palm sugar or 1/4 c. agave nectar)
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/8 t. cloves
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. margarine or butter, softened (I use 1/4 c. coconut oil)
1-1/2 c. (1 medium) shredded zucchini*
2 eggs

Grease 6-cup microwave-safe ring mold.** Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In medium bowl, combine flour and all remaining ingredients. Blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Pour into greased and crumb-coated ring mold. Place in microwave oven on inverted microwave-safe plate. Microwave on MEDIUM for 10 minutes, rotating 1/2 turn halfway through cooking. Rotate pan 1/4 turn. Microwave on HIGH for 2 to 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean and bread begins to pull away from sides of ring mold. Set stand directly on counter top 5 minutes; unmold onto serving plate. 16-servings

TIPS: *If zucchini is very moist, drain on paper towels before using.

**A 2-quart microwave-safe casserole can be substituted for ring mold. Place heavy-bottom drinking glass, 2 to 2-1/2 inches in diameter, in center of casserole.

Nutrition:
150 calories, protein-3g, carbohydrates-19g, fat-7g, cholesterol-27mg, sodium-190mg, potassium-80mg

Hope that helps you out... :-)

-Grainlady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here