Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gazpacho recipe successes?

Posted by sleevendog (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 3:10

I've got garden harvest insanity and cruised the web for recipes. I messed up and planted lemon cucumbers with my winter squash somehow...(not a surprise really as i do dumb plantings every year). But they are sprawling everywhere. Nice thin skins and have made the best fridge fresh pickles.
very crisp.
I see cukes in gaspacho recipes.
I've promised co-workers a gazpacho for monday. I might have to make two versions as i tend to muddy up my hack inventions...with so many garden herbs. Or maybe a salsa and a gazpacho.
My tomatoes are so good this year I'm not ready to sauce and send to the freezer just yet. (except for the bucket of sun golds that are small and thick skinned).
Most recipes use something bottled like tomato juice or grape juice...i want all fresh. My concord grapes are still green...
These are a tray of many and picked blush and ripening so fast. I'm sure many more tomorrow when we hit the farm upstate. (my garden is in the catskill mountains and only visit weekends).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gazpacho recipe successes?

Funny I was going to start a thread about this. I just fiddled around and wrote down the ingredients/amounts of this recipe, comes out consistently great. Smoked paprika and Spanish sherry vinegar are my ideas.

2 large tomatoes
2 large bell peppers, any color
6 Persian cucumbers
1 med red onion
1 large bunch curly (not italian) parsley
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2.5 cups V8 low sodium
2 Tbsp beef bouillion
2 or 3 Tbsp smoked paprika
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 cup or red wine or sherry vinegar

I split up all the items into two food processor batches, it fills one of those Pampered Chefs batter bowls.

- EJ (tm)

o

Recently due to a veritable plethora of tomatoes from our garden I looked up recipes for Gazpacho, but most of the ones I found listed canned tomato juice as a main ingredient. No thanks. Why would I want to muddy up the bright, fresh taste of fresh home-grown tomatoes by adding salty, tinny, bland canned tomato juice?

Eventually I found a recipe on a blog titled "You're Doing it Wrong : Gazpacho"

I've made this a few times a think I'm finally zeroing in on a tried and true version of this recipe. My version is as follows:

Gazpacho

1 large Red Bell Pepper (seeded and roughly chopped)
1 large Vidalia Onion (roughly chopped)
1 to 2 Jalapeno Peppers (seeded and chopped)
1/2 cup Olive Oil
4 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
2 slices bread
2 tsp Crushed Garlic
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice

3 lbs Fresh Tomatoes
1 large Cucumber (peeled and seeded)
1 tsp salt
Optional: sour cream, plain greek yogurt, or sliced avocado

Dice the peeled and seeded cucumber into 1/4" pieces, place in colander, sprinkle with the salt, set aside. (this will draw bitterness out of the cucumber)

Place all ingredients before the tomatoes in a blender and puree until smooth.

Remove cores from tomatoes and roughly squeeze out and discard the bulk of the seeds. Reserve the best looking tomato and place the rest in the blender and pulse until fairly smooth. Chop remaining tomato fine, and stir into gazpacho.

Add diced cucumber, stir well.

Chill, serve. (Optionally topped with a dollop of sour cream, a dollop of plain greek yogurt, or with a slice or two of ripe avacado)

Edited to add image of recent batch.

This post was edited by bob_cville on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 14:42

o

I like this recipe
here in Canada tomatoes just coming into their season maybe wait a couple of weeks to try this one
Lots of tomatoes in the stores just now but not the good ones yet
Tomatoes who doesn't love home grown tomatoes
thanks for the recipe

o

Thanks bob...i'd forgotten about the bread. Very Italian and just a half a slice of grilled/roasted boule. (we grilled too much last saturday for BLT's...i tossed it in the freezer).

I do use Knundsen, (sp), in the winter months, their veggie juice for virgin/bloody mary...good spiked with extras like horseradish and shiracha...but garden fresh is what i'll use.
Making it tomorrow night...

o

I like this Gazpacho served with grilled prawns.

Grilled Prawns with Gazpacho
============================

A combination of a number of different Gazpacho recipes.

7 ripe Italian tomatoes cut into chunks
1/4 small English cucumber cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 green pepper cut into pieces.
1 stalk of celery cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 small red onion cut into pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
salt
pepper
cayenne pepper
cumin
good splash of olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Mix ingredients together and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours. Place ingredients in blender or food processor.

Add:

1/2 jalapeño pepper
Italian parsley
homemade chicken broth
clamato juice
Fresh Squeezed lime

Pulse until the vegetables are minced but still retain some texture. Add more broth or juice to taste. Pour into bowls and garnish with:

Finely diced - Cucumber,Red onion,Tomato,Chopped cilantro and Avocado

Marinate Prawns with Minced garlic, Hot red Pepper flakes, tequila, lime, olive oil, salt and pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes

Grill over high heat and serve with Gazpacho

o

I prefer a cooked gazpacho, but I can't find my recipe. I also like Andalusian style, which is traditional, similar, with a lighter flavor, but I don't like it if it's made in a blender or if it's watered down Israeli salad.

I've cobbled this Andalusian style together from some online recipes to get something approaching measurements. It's a freehand kind of thing.

3 lbs. of deep red ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced (strain and reserve the seed liquid, optional)
2 Persian cucumbers (or half of an English cucumber), peeled, seeded and diced small
1 large bell pepper, seeded, pith removed and diced small (peel, optionally)
3-4 inch-thick slices of stale French or Italian white bread, crusts removed
2-4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 medium onion, chopped fine
3-6 sprigs of parsley, stems removed, chopped
1/4 cup of sherry vinegar
1/2 cup Spanish EVOO
3/4 tsp Spanish paprika (or to taste)
1/2 tsp cumin (optional)
salt to taste, up to 1 tsp (I'd use 1/4-1/2 but am not a big salter)

Garnish, chopped small (1/4"): Grape tomatoes, or other highly flavorful ones, cucumber, colorful bell pepper, flat leaf parsley. You can also do chopped marcona almonds, or cold Spanish charcuterie. I usually just do scallion greens.

If you can liquify the peels in a high speed blender and want to add them for the nutrients, go ahead. Just don't let them be unpleasant texture bits in the soup.

You can mince the veg instead of dicing if you don't want to pound as much, but I think dicing works better.

In a large mortar (or heavy mixing bowl), soak the bread in the tomato liquid or a little water until it's soft. Use the pestle (or a muddler, small potato masher, or a small ladle with a weight taped into its bowl) to mash the wet bread with the garlic and salt and enough of the oil and vinegar to make a loose paste. Add the paprika and parsley and mash some more, adding oil and vinegar as necessary to keep it pasty rather than doughy. Add the vegetables and the rest of the oil and vinegar, and pound until it's reasonably smooth. Add cool water until it's the consistency you favor and store in a heavy tureen or crock in a cool corner until you're ready to serve.

Check the seasoning before you serve. Put the garnish on the table for people to help themselves, or make up bowls with toppings.

o

Tyler Florence has a recipe for Watermelon Gazpacho and it was a hit here, especially with my SIL.

Ingredients

1 large tomato, pureed
1/2 serrano chile
2 cups cubed fresh watermelon
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons minced red onion
1/2 cucumber, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, plus more for garnish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

In a blender, puree the tomatoes, chile, and 1/2 of the watermelon. Pour in the red wine vinegar and olive oil and pulse. Add the onion, cucumber and dill and season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Pour into chilled bowls and sprinkle with dill, feta, and remaining watermelon. Serve.

This post was edited by lvmadison on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 2:13

o

gee these are some very fine recipes and photos to give a go to
is just the season even here in Canada, to try some of these
Each of them actually

And Blood Marys or as we make them here Caesers are another one of my long time favourites.

We make them with a product that is sold here Clamato Juice.

It is four no almost five in the morning here k otherwise I might just go out to the kitchen and make up a Caeser right now This is a tomato juice that has the clam juice and horseradish right in it. I make mine well we mostly do here,, with Vodkas and I have been using Polish brands of Vodka lately I find it more enjoyable than most of the U.S. or Canadian Vodkas.

o

what is
Spanish EVVO

and as well

is there a difference between
Prawns and Shrimp

I never know that one

o

"Spanish EVOO" is Spanish extra virgin olive oil. Really, whatever you have will be fine and good Spanish EVOO is hard to find (I haven't tried Trader Joe's but it has a bad reputation). There are olives grown in Spain that are ordinary olives, like manzanilla, but then there's the ancient kind, and you can get varietal oils, like arbequina. That's really what I meant, but you can use any good extra virgin olive oil which is really fresh and fruity (hasn't been sitting around oxidizing) and tastes good straight.

There is no difference between "shrimp" and "prawn" that isn't a local usage of the words. Both words are used for the whole range of many species of that shape of crustacean. In the UK and Australia, they tend to say "prawn". In the US, we tend to say "shrimp". There are some communities, mostly in the US, that say "shrimp" for little shrimp, and "prawn" for big shrimp, but that's not any kind of standard usage, and seems to come more from advertising to differentiate between the entree sized shrimp and the little cocktail shrimp, though nowadays I see bigger ones in shrimp cocktails. That might also be regional, however, since on the West coast we have the tiny bay shrimp.

o

I know that prawn and shrimp are used interchangeably. But there really is a difference between Prawns and Shrimp.

I'm not a fan of shrimp. I lost my taste for them when I was pregnant and never got it back. But I love our local spot prawns. They are only available for a very short while in the spring. About 6 weeks May to June. Totally different flavour and texture from most shrimp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Difference between Prawns and Shrimp

o

Ann, the deliciousness of the spot prawn nonwithstanding (and it's the "spot" part that differentiates it), I cannot find a single dictionary or other authoritative reference that makes any kind of biological or taxonomical differentiation between the words "prawn" and "shrimp". Difference between specifically the spot prawn and other garden variety species of shrimps, sure, I accept that, but that isn't generalizable to the word "prawn".

Big cats, for example. Whether you call our locals mountain lions, panthers, cougars, or catamounts, they're all "Puma concolor". Even though we call pumas "panther", it's the jaguar that comes from the panther family, "Panthera onca", where as bobcats, which look like little mountain lions are actually lynxes "Lynx rufus".

There is no such distinction for "shrimp" or "prawn". There are many different species, and while some people talk about the gills, or the plates, or the feet, it's no different a distinction in terms of what the words mean in the language than making a distinction between big and small.

o

A big hit. Using hints from above recipes.
I served in small shot glasses....a pitcher of gazpacho with a stack of plastic shot.
(hate plastic but that is what we have at work)

I used all fresh garden produce and herbs and winged it. Added fresh roasted corn. I wanted it fluid and not too thick. I made a spicy salsa at the same time, multi tasking without cleaning out the blender and chopper....the only difference with the salsa is adding lime, more chunky tomatoes, and cilantro.

It was a good trial for a holiday bbq this upcoming weekend.
(i WILL write it down this time)

o

“-----In the United Kingdom prawn is more common on menus than shrimp, while the opposite is the case in the United States. -------- there is no clear distinction between both terms and their usage is often confused or even reverse in different countries or regions---------.”

In France it is just crevettes. The French may use the Spanish word gambas to suggest larger than ordinary prawns, or larger than ordinary shrimps. The only problem is that the word Spanish gambas just means just prawns or shrimps and does not indicate size.

I don’t remember having seen prawns sold in stores here in the US.

dcarch

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eBJWxVQV5A

Here is a link that might be useful: shrimps, prawns

o

Gorgeous picture, Sleevendog! It looks delicious! I hope your colleagues appreciate how lucky they are to share in the bounty of your garden. :)

o

You mentioned a salsa option. I do not often make Gazpacho, but I frequently make cucumber salad, which would use both your tomatoes and cucumbers:

3 Persian cucumbers, diced (I do not seed them)
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 large tomato, diced
1 Tbsp minced fresh dill
freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tsp white Balsamic vinegar (to taste)
2-3 Tbsp olive oil, as needed
1/4 pound Bulgarian feta cheese, diced or crumbled
salt, to taste, if needed - the feta is salty

Mix all ingredients and store in the fridge for a t least an hour before serving. I do not measure my ingredients, and so this is just an estimate. I partially peel the cucumbers, but this is not necessary for Persian cucumbers, and you may want to seed your cukes, if they are not Persian. I probably use more feta than I listed, which is why I only add a small amount of salt. Also, I find that the vinegar makes less salt necessary.

Lars

o

Feta cheese sounds good and I have yet to make that Watermelon soup GOing to a family get together this weekend not sure if I should tryit out or not

Interesting about the prawns and shrimp and even Mountain Lions

No one commented on my yummy drinks though Caesers as opposed to Bloody Marys I once again have one in front of me right now. Just came in from cutting the grass which took me almost three hours when should not really take more than an hour

The old grey mare I keep thinking of that song when I am cutting grass etc. these days
sure was a might fine day here in Ontario Canada
Hope it was where you all are as well

o

Diane, I love Bloody Caesars also, which is why I do not make them that often. Clamato juice is readily available here, but I have not yet had them with horseradish - will have to try that. I usually use a celery stick as a stirrer. I had my first Bloody Caesar in Vancouver - just noticed that BC could be Bloody Caesar or British Columbia - no wonder it is the national drink. I also had hard cider there, which is much less common here.

I agree that grilled prawns with gazpacho is a great idea. I think I will make that the next time I make gazpacho, as I love prawns and only mildly like gazpacho.

Lars

o

Huh, I just happened to make a green gazpacho today and it turned out amazing. I roughly followed the recipe below, but my basil is pretty sad right now so I substituted a handful of parsley and a big pinch of Herbes de Provence for that, used white wine vinegar instead of white vinegar (sherry vinegar would have been even better if I'd had any) and finished it with a squeeze of lemon.

It helped that I had two enormous Kellogg's Breakfasts for the tomatoes.

I really didn't think such a simple version would be so good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple green gazpacho

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here