Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peanut oil...

Posted by ritaotay (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 2:35

Is 100 % peanut oil suppose to solidify in the refrigerator ( not hard like meat fat, sorta like leftover Crisco ) ?

The reason I ask... I've been buying natural peanut butter, no salt, no sugar, no nothing, just ground up peanuts and I've been draining off the oil and saving it... The oil in the last jar I bought looks the same as it did when I bought the peanut butter and it's been in the fridge for more than a week, up until then the oil has solidified...

Rita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peanut oil...

Check the temperature of your refrigerator.
Isn't your peanutbutter awfully sticky and dry without the oil?
Linda C

o

Yes peanut oil will solidify when it drops to a certain temp.
In the winter, my turkey fryer oil..gets solid..we have to bring it in the house for Thanksgiving so we can pour it. :o)
Wether or not an oil gets solid at lower temps has something to do with what kind of saturated fat it's made up of..poly, mono...all that kind of thing. The more refined an oil, the less likely it is to get solid at any temp. Oil that will solidify is a healthier oil in my book.

o

Ok, here's a pic so you'll know what I'm talking about...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I didn't notice that they were two different colors before, hmmm... Anyway, the jar on the right is the oldest and the jar on the left shows the difference... All the oil came from Meijers Natural Peanut Butter, over the last few months, and both jars have been kept in the refrigerator....

Linda C, the temperature in the fridge is 35 degrees, unless hubby is standing in front of it with the door open ( lol ).... As for the consistency, with this brand if you leave all the oil in the jar the peanut butter is just too runny, it actually leaks out of your sandwich, even if you keep it in the fridge and I usually keep it in the cabinet...

Terri, you're right, sorta, saturated fat will solidify but so will any oil that's been hydrogenated...

I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that I'm concerned about which oil I'm actually getting... Just seems odd to me that if it's all peanut oil why hasn't the oil from the last two jars solidified...

Rita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here