Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Michigan artichokes

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 22:58

OK, I'm happy, I finally grew artichokes. Well, actually, I've grown "artichoke". One so far, LOL, but I was so excited.

I don't know anyone in Michigan who has managed to successfully grow on artichoke for harvest. Of course, we've had something like 30 days of weather over 90F, so maybe I'll be less successful next year, but here's what I have right now:

IMG_0021

I've also harvested a few rutgers tomatoes but the Sungolds have, as usual, outpaced every other variety:

IMG_0022

And I've canned the first batch of green beans, 7 quarts:

IMG_0024

Still, I was most excited about that single artichoke, LOL.

Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Michigan artichokes

So beautiful!

I am all choked up.

dcarch :-)

o

LOL, dcarch.

Annie

o

Annie, you rock! It all looks fabulous. I always thought that artichokes needed fog, guess not.

Lee

o

Oh, Annie! That first pic took my breath away. Makes me want to give gardening another shot.

o

They don't need heat. Here is artichoke heaven and we have a rather wet, windy and cool climate - sea wind and spray!

o

Here's some artichoke farming info from Castroville, the artichoke capital of California. They say that hot dry conditions destroy the tenderness of the artichoke, and so you might do better in a cooler year. They require only 100 frost-free days, which means they must grow pretty much everywhere, although they prefer cool climates, such as the U.S. West Coast coastal area. I grew them in Venice, as I told you before. I found that the stems are also edible, but you have to peel them. Otherwise, you can boil the stems and then puree and strain them to get something you could use for making a dip or salad dressing.

Keep us posted with developments!

Lars

o

Lars, the problem with artichokes in Michigan is that tey are a perennial and traditional varieties don't bloom until the second year. Since we actually eat the blossoms, if I can't overwinter them, no harvest.

This is a new variety which blooms the first year, but 60% of the plants (approximately) do not bloom, so you get a flower on a little over half of the plants. I got 20 seeds which I planted in February, so maybe I'll get 10 artichokes. Maybe...

I'll definitely try next year and since the forecasters are all saying it's going to be abnormally warm for winter months too, I think I'm going to mulch them and see if I can overwinter any!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here