SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Hot Relish

party_music50
10 years ago

Hi -- we stopped at a local seasonal "bbq" shack the other day. I asked if they had anything hot (piquant) to put on my sandwich, so they gave me a small cup of their homemade "hot relish". I loved it but they wouldn't give me any clues about how they made it, so I'm looking for ideas/thoughts.

I swear, it looked like it was nothing but re-hydrated crushed red pepper with a little oil in it! It was very red and full of pepper seeds and red pepper bits (just like crushed red pepper). It was spicey, but not overly hot at all. It had a hint of sweetness and pickling spice taste -- but it was definitely not vinegary, so they didn't use pickled pepper in it.

I searched the net for relish recipes using crushed red pepper (w/ various terms like red pepper flakes, etc.), but was unable to find any recipe that used more than a tablespoon or so in an entire batch of relish. :p

Does this "hot relish" sound familiar to anyone? I want to see if I can make something similar and I'm not sure where to begin. Any thoughts???

Comments (12)