Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need receipe for 'sauce' on vegetables

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 22:28

Recently we made a very long trip to CA by car so ate out alot. Many of the restaurants served mixed veggies in a oil type seasoned base. It was very light and so good. The veggies were barely cooked, then put in a fry pan with the oil/season mix. My question is what kind of oil was use, what seasoning or do they come that way in a package. Someone told me it could be sesame oil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need receipe for 'sauce' on vegetables

I agree. I either steam vegetables and lightly butter, or saute in olive oil and season with garlic and herbs.

I like sesame oil on "Asian" vegetables.

~Ann

o

I often "jump" cooked veggies in olive oil to which I have added some garlic.
In a restaurant when you were doing lots of veggies to order....you would have a lot os warm seasoned olive oil ready to toss in a pan heat and toss with some lightly steamed veggies. But, at home you won't need a lot of seasoned oil.....so I just toss the steamed veggies with a little extra virgin olive oil, a little garlic powder and perhaps an herb, depending on what you are serving it with....toss the veggies in a fry pan with the seasoned oil over a hot burner.....finish with a squeeze of lemon and some kosher salt.
One restaurant calls that "California Vegetables" and serve a mix of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and summer squash fixed like that.
Linda C

o

I like to steam green beans until they are just crisp tender, put them in ice water, then drain and keep chilled, covered in the fridge. When I'm ready to have them for a meal I heat some good olive oil in a pan, add some thinly sliced garlic, shallots, onion, or colorful peppers which are briefly sauteed in the oil before the green beans are added to the pan. The beans are already cooked, so they just need to be heated. Lastly, you can toss in some toasted sliced almonds or hazelnuts or fresh chopped herbs.

Teresa

o

Yesterday on Bobby Flay's 'Brunch with Bobby' he made a vinaigrette (or at least is guest/wife did) and served it over his vegetable dish and his grilled steak. I think that's a great idea for lighter "sauce".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here