Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buckwheat flour after I soak the buckwheat

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:06

I make a wonderful morning shake with buckwheat and other goodies in my Vitamix blender (which I love.)

I can't eat whole nuts for a month so I thought I'd make flour out of the buckwheat grains but the buckwheat needs to be rinsed and soaked before using.

How could I best dry them; just lay out on counter for a few hours?

Thanks,
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buckwheat flour after I soak the buckwheat

For buckwheat flour, I generally sprout buckwheat groats to increase the nutrition first (see link below), and dehydrate it until crispy dry (between 115-125-degrees F) for 4-6 hours.

When you finish dehydrating them, cool completely to room temperature BEFORE placing in a container (I use a glass canning jar). Don't allow it to sit much beyond the time it takes to cool to room temperature or it can rehydrate (reabsorb) moisture in the air, especially if you live where there is a lot of humidity.

When you place warm dried groats in a glass container without allowing them to cool completely first, the warmth will cause moisture in the jar to form (condensation), which can cause the grain to mold during storage.

After foods are dehydrated, including buckwheat groats, you need to "condition" it. Most people skip this step and then they wonder why their food molds.......? Conditioning is the process used to equalize (evenly distribute) any moisture left in the food after drying. Fill a container about 2/3 full and cover with an air-tight lid. Shake the container daily (or open and stir it), and check to see if there is any condensation on the jar or the underside of the lid. For buckwheat groats, conditioning will only take a few days and is perfectly safe to use immediately after you have cooled it. If you see any condensation the first day or two, it wasn't sufficiently dried - place the food back in the dehydrator to finish drying, then recondition once again.

I store whole groats and mill it when I need buckwheat flour, which can be done in a coffee/spice mill for small amounts, or a regular grain mill for large amounts. If you don't have either of these, you can crush the grain in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. It crushes very easily

Since you are adding them to a mixture in a Vitamix, you wouldn't need to powder it first, the mixer will take care of that. Dehydrated buckwheat groats are very easy to crush.

I'm not exactly sure why you are using buckwheat groats as replacement for whole nuts - the protein perhaps? You could add almond flour if you don't want whole nuts. You could also add cooked, or sprouted and dehydrated, lentils for a vegetable protein source. And another good source of protein is Great Lakes Gelatin (Collagen Hydrolystate - in the green box - it DOESN'T gel and can be added to hot or cold beverages).

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Nouveau Raw

o

Grainlady,
You are the BEST. Thank you for the wonderful explanation.

The reason I'm doing this is that I had gum surgery and cannot eat nuts for 6 weeks. A small piece of nut caught in the surgical site would be very bad.

I eat buckwheat 5 days a week in my am shake in place of oats because I heard it was good for my other health condition, psoriasis.

I read that buckwheat needs to be washed so I wasn't sure how to best dry it so I could then grind it into a flour.

I don't have a dehydrator and haven't thought I needed to spend the money for one as yet.

Thanks for the idea of the lentils, I had wondered if I could put them in my shake.

I saw that website yesterday and will look at it again.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Ginny

o

If you soak the buckwheat overnight, rinse well, drain and add to the mixture, the Vitamix will more-or-less liquefy it. If you sprout the buckwheat you can add the sprouts directly to the mixture. Neither would need to be dried first, but that is an option. You could strain it if you are concerned - using a sieve, nut milk bag, layers of cheese cloth, etc.....to be sure it's all incorporated.

You could also soak buckwheat overnight and make cooked buckwheat cereal with it. Add the cooked cereal to your smoothie (oatmeal or other cooked cereals are a common add-in). Freeze the cereal in an ice cube tray and pop out and store in a bag/container in the freezer. Thaw the cubes in the refrigerator overnight to use in your smoothie. It's always good to have options.

When I soak oats I always add some buckwheat (grits or flour). Oats are so low in phytase (the enzyme that helps to break down phytates), that soaking them in warm water mixed with an acid medium isn't enough to break down the large amount of anti-nutrients. Buckwheat, which is high in phytates, to the rescue. ;-)

I made gluten-free soaked Oat/Buckwheat Pancakes this morning. I make homemade buckwheat noodles using an overnight soaked method. I love using buckwheat!

What's good about buckwheat.....

-Excellent winter food because it improves circulation of blood and keeps the body warm.

-Phytonutrient - lignana (also found in flax)

-Helps prevent gallstones

-Contains all 8 amino acids and omega-3 oils

I would still suggest adding gelatin because it aids healing.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: 12 uses for gelatin

o

More wonderful ideas! Thank you so much for going into such detail. Your enthusiasm is fabulous.

I think the idea of soaking and then cooking and then adding to my shake is the best for being sure there are no bits of buckwheat.

I'll think about your idea of gelatin, I'd not heard of that before.

Thanks again!
Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here