Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Kitchen Toy

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:46

My 15 year old Kitchenaid hand mixer died two weeks ago and my 13 year old Braun Immersion blender bit the dust the same day. How does that happen?

Since I use the immersion blender more often than the hand mixer, I decided to replace it first. Did a little homework and decided to go with a Breville Immersion Blender.

The one I wanted came with a whisk and a small food processor/chopping bowl. The local shop that carries Breville did not have the one I wanted in stock, but they had the Breville All-In-One. An immersion blender with a number of extra options. I wasn't familiar with this model, so while in the store, did a quick Google search on my phone. It got great reviews and it was on sale. How could I resist.

I've been using it now for more than two weeks and I'm really happy with it. I've used just about all the attachments and I'm very impressed. The whisk whipped up heavy cream, no problem. The slicer can be adjusted from 0.5 to 6.0 mm. I've sliced paper thin potatoes to make potato chips.

And adjusted it to make thicker potato slices for a potato gratin.

I even sliced a leftover roasted strip loin for a French Dip Sandwich. I really wasn't expecting it to work that well with roast beef, but it did a great job.

And it can even slice salami.

Paper thin.
No need to get out the commercial meat slicer.

The disk for grating is reversible. One side for fine and one for coarse.

I've grated cheddar cheese on the coarse side and Parmesan on the fine side.

It even has a potato masher. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

It is really a food processor without the bulk.

So far the Breville has done everything that my big Kitchenaid Pro FP can do and I've used it more in two weeks than the KA in three months.

I love my new toy.

~Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Kitchen Toy

Very impressive! I have the much more basic KA immersion blender with the mini processor and I've often wished for a chute on it, let alone all the other doodads the Breville has.

I'm curious, though. How big is the chute? I would assume that you would have to feed meat through it to slice it, so do you have to cut the roast beef into skinny chunks?

o

Very good - especially the thin potatoes and the meat!

o

Ann, congrats on the great purchase! May you be renewed.

What makes the slices? Is it a FP type disk?

o

I had no idea that such a unit existed. How does it make variable slices?

o

What a great endorsement and demo!!
Darn, you know I'll have to get one now.

o

Wow, I want one now! I have been wanting a hand mixer primarily for whipped cream for awhile but have dithered on which one.

And, I am most impressed with your use of the word "leftover"!

(not typically in your vocabulary)

o

Looks like a generally good powerful (700 watts motor) tool. I have not taken one apart (not yet, Ha!). So this is just guessing on my part:

1. Looking at the geometry of the unit, to get a 700 W motor of that shape in the main handle, they have to use a high speed permanent magnet DC motor running at over 25,000 RPM. With that speed to reduce to run other attachments, the gear/transmission part does not look like it will last to me. DO NOT use it to slice salami or mix dough!

2. Don't get water into the speed control. The control is electronic and shorts easily.

3. Don't operate too long. To avoid electrocution, the motor is not ventilated. 700 watts means a lot of BTUs.

To me, the anti-suction feature is a disadvantage. You need the suction to blend food more evenly and quickly.

To me the need to have to use two hands to operate the processor is an inconvenience.

dcarch

o

Impressive at how hard it works. Good purchase. An appliance to keep in mind. Thanks
Mary

o

"---3. Don't operate too long. To avoid electrocution, the motor is not ventilated. 700 watts means a lot of BTUs.---"

A little explanation why overheating can be an issue:

A permanent magnet DC motor has no field coils. The electric wire winding is on the rotor only, and the rotor has no direct metal-to-metal contact with the casing. So the overheating of the winding will take a little while for you to feel that it is getting hot. By that time, it can be too late.

Ventilation is extremely important for this type of motors, you will find turbine/fan ventilation in all power tools, and this unit has no ventilation at all.

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 10:20

o

Writersblock, the shoot 1 7/8 " by 3". And I was slicing a small rectangular strip loin. I just cut it in half, and stacked the two halves. Gave me nice thin slices.

Plllog/Chas, Yes, a FP disk, with a blade with a dial that adjusts from 0.5 to 6.0 mm.

Cathy, I'm sure you would love it.

Bumblebeez, Leftover roast beef, is one of the few leftovers I like. But you are right, you don't see me use that word often. LOL!

You will have to forgive me DC if I totally disregard your advice.

I did my homework. The reviews on this appliance have been exceptional.

The immersion blender motor has 280 Watt / 110 - 120 volts. The one made for Australia has a 700 Watt / 220 - 240 Volt.

Slicing salami is actually one of the recommended uses of the ALL - In- One. It made short work of a salami both times. Not a struggle.

I like the anti-suction feature and it is something all immersion blenders should have. There is no need for "suction" to blend food more evenly and quickly.

And for those that have a problem with strength or arthritis, this machine is very light and easy to use. Think food processor without the heavy base.

It comes with a good instruction manual so no need to worry about what to do or not to do.

I am really impressed with the Breville line. My Italian burr grinder died earlier this year and needed to be replaced. Again after doing my homework, I bought the Breville Smart Grinder. But before doing that I bought a cheaper grinder ($45.00 Melitta) that turned out to be a big mistake. It could not be adjusted coarse enough for French Press, which is what we drink, and the grind was not consistent. In less than a month the machine died. Although I didn't want to spend $200.00 on a coffee grinder, I bit the bullet, and bought the Breville. It is a great grinder that has lived up to all the reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

o

"----The immersion blender motor has 280 Watt / 110 - 120 volts. The one made for Australia has a 700 Watt / 220 - 240 Volt.---"

That in itself says a lot. A 280 watt motor costs about the same as a 700 watt motor. Apparently Breville has found it a good idea to reduce motor power to less than half.

So I went to read the reviews.

Sure enough, 2 out of the 12 reviews have gear problems. That is not acceptable to me.

As I said, it is a very good tool. You did not made a wrong choice.

dcarch

o

Ann T, that looks like a really handy device, and you're clearly enjoying it, have fun.

Annie

o

They still make the 700 Watt model for Australia. The one sold in North America was never a 700 Watt.

~Ann

o

Wow!! I've got my food processor for sale on Kijiji. It's a B&D wide mouth, but it's incredibly noisy and the pulse doesn't stop instantly but winds down. I was wondering what to replace it with if it sells, I think this might be the ticket. It's more money that I would normally spend though.

Have you used it for creaming butter and sugar, etc, or for mixing batters? Can that 1 whisk handle that?

o

Jasdip, No, I haven't tried that yet. I've only used the whisk for whipping heavy cream.

Check out London Drugs if you have one in your area. I paid $139.00 on sale from $199.00.

~Ann

o

"---- pulse doesn't stop instantly but winds down---"

An induction motor or a universal motor cannot easily be stopped without some kind of complicated mechanical brakes, OTOH, a permanent magnet DC motor can easily be stopped instantly without any extra parts. All it needs to be done is to short out the rotor windings thru the carbon brushes with the pulse switch. That's how electric cars stop and use the stop energy to back charge the car batteries.

dcarch.

o

Thanks for the details on the chute, Ann.

o

I have 4 Breville appliances , toaster, electric kettle, juicer and also (never used yet) blender, so far I love all of them. I enjoyed your review so now of course I want one.

o

Thank You Ann!

I could not think of a better endorsement. Went looking right away, and found it for 179 bucks at their website, at Amazon and at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Since I had a 20% off coupon I went to the BBB store, and low and behold, they had it marked down to 149.

So, with tax and the 20% off I ended up with a total of 130.04

and I am a proud owner of a new kitchen gadget. :)

Color me happy.

Moni

o

You are very welcome Moni. I look forward to your review after you have a chance to use all the attachments. I hope you like it as much as I do. And what a good deal.

Used the fine side of the grater this morning to grate potatoes for shoe string potatoes to serve with Eggs Benedict.

And I used the whisk to make the hollandaise sauce. Beating the hot butter into the eggs.

~Ann

o

ann_t Great review and gorgeous photos. You could do a spread for a cooking magazine!

o

I love that video! I could listen to her all day, LOL

Ann, I did a search and see that The Bay carries it at $200.
London Drugs is just in the west. Bed Bath and Beyond don't carry it, surprisingly.

o

Lovely toy. I covet it, although I don't NEED it. Ah, that's the problem with kitchen toys.

It is on line at BB&B at the link below.

With the 20% off coupon if your store lets you use it (mine would) it would be $160. I would go to the store and place the order. I also get free shipping that way.

Here is a link that might be useful: BB&B Breville

o

Bellsmom, I'm in Canada, and that item isn't showing online. Just a few Breville products, espresso, juicers, etc. I'll keep looking to see if I can find it a little cheaper than $200 somewhere.

o

*snatching that plate off the table and running for the hills*

Drool!

o

Oops!
I was thinking this was a list of new toys! My apology, Ann T

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 11:50

o

OOOH I like your new toy better. Beautiful range.

~Ann

o

Ann, I was wondering last night if it was awkward, having to hold the button in, turning the power on, and feeding the food into the chute.

Specifically when shredding carrots and potatoes.

Normally I leave the motor running, and feed the veggies, pushing with the pusher. This sounds like it might be more awkward, having to keep the button pushed manually to power it.

o

"-----Ann, I was wondering last night if it was awkward, having to hold the button in, turning the power on, and feeding the food into the chute.---"

That was exactly my point.

For me, if I have this blender, I would tie a rubber band to keep the motor on, and plug it in one of my outlets which has an-on/off switch.

Also, the motor and gears will last longer not having to start/stop all the time.

dcarch

o

Jasdip no,they have crafted the handle so that it is very comfortable in the hand. And it takes very little pressure with one finger to operate.

It is extremely easy and fast to feed vegetables, cheese, salami , etc.. down through the shoot.

Here is another video showing vegetables being sliced. You can see just how quick and simple it is. Fast forward to 1:12 min to get to the slicing.

Start and stop is how all Immersion blenders work.

I'm not worried about the motor and the gears lasting, any more than I was with my Braun, which got used often and lasted 13 years.

~Ann

This post was edited by ann_t on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 10:00

o

Don’t get me wrong, over all it is generally a good tool.

My discussion is just some of the issues most appliance makers have to deal with.

We all know Kitchenaid had to change plastic gears to metal, even the original thinking of using plastic gears is valid, which is to reduce noise and to avoid stalling the motor/transmission.

This blender’s user reviews point out that there is a gear problem to consider.

Regarding the motor, universal type motors have carbon brushes which are to be worn out and are to be replaced. This blender however, to avoid water penetration, is completely sealed. When the carbon brushes are worn, the blender is to be thrown away.

With a magnetic motor, instant starting and stopping creates what’s known as inductive current, which can further wear out the brushes. That’s one of the reasons you see some appliances have electronic “soft start”.

The other consideration, motors are generally designed for horizontal operations. Vertical motors require special bearings, which are not often used in small blenders like this.

I wouldn’t mind buying one, if I need a new blender.

dcarch

o

Here's another slicing demo (start at about 2:45):

EDIT Writersblock showed me this thread and now I want one!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bing Lee

This post was edited by conchitaFL on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 11:39

o

Don’t get me wrong, over all it is generally a good tool.

My discussion is just some of the issues most appliance makers have to deal with.

We all know Kitchenaid had to change plastic gears to metal, even the original thinking of using plastic gears is valid, which is to reduce noise and to avoid stalling the motor/transmission.

This blender’s user reviews point out that there is a gear problem to consider.

Regarding the motor, universal type motors have carbon brushes which are to be worn out and are to be replaced. This blender however, to avoid water penetration, is completely sealed. When the carbon brushes are worn, the blender is to be thrown away.

With a magnetic motor, instant starting and stopping creates what’s known as inductive current, which can further wear out the brushes. That’s one of the reasons you see some appliances have electronic “soft start”.

The other consideration, motors are generally designed for horizontal operations. Vertical motors require special bearings, which are not often used in small blenders like this.

I wouldn’t mind buying one, if I need a new blender.

dcarch

o

Conchita, thanks for posting that link. I looked at that video prior to buying. Shows just how easy this appliance is to use.

~Ann

o

Those are both amazing videos and very helpful in my decision.
We splurged on a much-needed sofa and loveseat and mattress topper (for our NEW mattress, grrrrr), so hopefully I'll get this next month. I see that the price is $169.99 on Amazon.ca!

o

Thanks Ann T for sharing your find!
I need a new immersion blender, and hate pulling out my clunky food processor for smaller jobs.

I watched the videos and started searching online for the Breville. (need to mail order most things - I live in the Canadian boonies, lol).

Decided to bite the bullet last night and order one. Checked Sears to see if it was on sale, nope, still $199. Checked Amazon.ca and it was $130 w/ free shipping!

It should be here late next week :)

Dawn T

o

Dawn, great price. Last week it was on sale on Amazon for $169.00.

Here is another follow up.

Yesterday I bought 1.3 pounds of sirloin steak to grind up and make burgers.

Steaks were cut into about one and half inch cubes.

Pulsed to grind. Really quick and the grind uniform.

The sirloin was pretty lean so I added a little butter to the mix.

I think I will use it to grind meat more often.

It made quick work of the beef without any struggle.

o

Ann, it's all your fault. LOL

I did it!! I bit the bullet and ordered it as well. Drives me crazy checking the prices on Amazon and they change on a moment's notice. I had it in my wish list, and today my wish was granted :)

o

Dawn, I'm curious. Has your machine been shipped yet, from Amazon?

I ordered it the same day you did, and I don't have an email yet saying that it's been shipped. I too, live in Canada (Ontario)

o

Yes, it arrived this morning!
I meant to post an update this afternoon, but got side tracked in the garden...

Did they give you a time frame for delivery when you ordered? Try checking under "your orders" in your Amazon account to see the status. Hope you get it soon!

AnnT - *thank you* for the heads up on the Breville kitchen toy :)
I've not had time to do more than unpackage it and glance at the instruction/recipe book, but it looks like a pretty substantial and nifty unit.

I plan on giving it a workout next week - just need to get through two more day shifts this weekend, then it's retirement, yikes!

Dawn

o

Yes, I've been checking and it's "not yet shipped". I was thinking that thanks to Ann's glowing report, they can't keep up with orders!!

Glad you got yours, hurry up and try it so you can let us know. :)

o

dawn, looking forward to your follow up post after you have had a chance to use your new toy.

Jasdip, hope you don't have to wait too long for yours to arrive.

~Ann

o

It took a long time, but my processor has finally been shipped, just yesterday. I ordered it on the 10th. A good thing, too as my bread is piling up in the freezer waiting to be made into breadcrumbs!

o

Jasdip, I was actually going to post today to ask if you had received it yet. Wonder what the hold up was.
Does a good job on making bread crumbs.

~Ann

o

I think the hold-up was your glowing review here, and they couldn't keep up with sales! ;-)

o

Glad to hear it's on the way jasdip.

Ann, I owe you a follow up/review on the Breville, but have not had time to even plug it in yet!
This week, I promise!

o

I am trying to decide, if I should give away my little food processor, the Sunbeam Oskar. I just pulled it out, as I am due to make home made detergent.

I shall use my new toy, and pack the other up and put it in solitary confinement in the attic till I am sure I want to give it away.

Right now, it still used precious cabinet space.

Edited: Home made lye soap was to hard for the Breville.... I used the Sunbeam to get the job done. But the fels napta went much easier.

However, this experiment tells me to keep the Sunbeam, at least way up high in the top cabinet.

Moni

This post was edited by OklaMoni on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 19:02

o

I got my Breville today! Very prompt shipping, especially with Labour Day yesterday!!

I was in the midst of processing my cucumbers, onions and peppers when I got the delivery. I tried to buy cucumbers on Sat and not a cuke was to be found in 3 stores. Grrrrrr. They were advertised in the flyer, so I went today hoping that a shipment came in. There they were.

I wanted to get my relish started, and not knowing for sure that I would get my "new kitchen toy" I borrowed my old processor from a friend and went to work.

Not to worry, I'll be trying the Breville out soon and give a report. Everything feels quite nice and sturdy and well made.

o

I've used this a few times now, and it works great and is easy to handle. Everything feels so substantial, the plastic bowl is sturdy and everything seems ergonomic.

It did seem weird at first, having the bowl sit on the counter, vs sitting it on a motor to use :-)

It's compact for storage, it's in my front closet along with all of my other kitchen appliances. DH calls it "The Enterprise" when I pull it out.

o

Jasdip, "The Enterprise". I like that.

I'm still enjoying mine. I love how light it is without the heavy base. Certainly easier to get out and put away.

The only attachment I haven't used yet is the one for mashing potatoes. Just never think to get it out for that.

~Ann

o

I'm planning on making mashed potatoes, just so I can try the attachment. I'll have to get it out ahead of time, because I'll automatically grab my hand masher.

o

There it was whispering "I'm only $99, put me in your shopping cart!"; so I did. But I was careful to put the receipt where I wouldn't loose it so I can take it back when I come to my senses.

I just got home and immediately checked the model that AnnT bought thinking certainly I got an older model. Nope, it was the latest.

I should go back and get the other one (there were 2 on the shelf) for a Christmas gift. But then, I don't have a family member who would appreciate this kitchen toy like we do.

o

Wow Cathy, you got the best deal . I'm still enjoying using mine.

Jasdip, I finally got around to trying the mashed potato attachment. I gave it a try when I was mashing more potatoes than just enough for the two of us. And I was pleasantly surprised. It actually works great. Nice fluffy potatoes.

~Ann

o

Mustang, I'm so jealous! :-)

Ann, thanks for the feed-back on the mashed potato attachment. I made mashed potatoes on the weekend, and forgot all about using "the Enterprise". I'll have to put it on the counter so that I remember to use it instead of my manual masher.

o

We used the mashed potato attachment yesterday. It's like a "potato ricer" on steroids!

o

But, but, but I have a huge beautiful potato rice. So I can do away with the ricer??? I guess that's why this toy is called "All-in-one".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here