SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

The bread fair is tomorrow!

agmss15
11 years ago

The locavore movement seems to have become very strong here in the years while I was away. A lot of new young farmers are around who are much more down to earth and business-like than the hippies I grew up around. As part of that people have gotten interested in reintroducing the idea of growing grains in central maine. And as an extension of that the kneading conference and bread fair have been going on for about 6 years. The kneading conference is something that is getting lots of people from afar. I'd like to do sometime but at $300 I haven't yet been able to justify it. One of the people central to the kneading conference has also bought the old jailhouse and has turned it into a gristmill. The local farmer's market is located there and now there is a cafe with local foods (run by my stepsister and her husband). All very cool - but the bread fair is really fun - lots of really really good breads and cheeses, supplies, woodfired ovens, baking supplies. Last year I had a real croissant and some aged cheeses! Amazing. King Arthur is one of the sponsors. Worth a visit!

Comments (3)