Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Make (& bake?) lasagna the night before

Posted by katefisher (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 5, 09 at 21:17

I have family coming. In order to minimize stress and maximize my time I'm trying to make some food ahead. I have chocolate banana bread in the freezer already waiting:)

I want to have a hot pan of lasagna waiting when my folks arrive. Which begs the question: if I have make it the night before should I cook it then also? Or just assemble it and bake it in time to eat for their arrival?

Decisions, decisions:) One things for sure I don't want it to be dry and that's what I'm worried about with the re heating.

Thank you.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Make (& bake?) lasagna the night before

I would assemble the lasagna the day before and bake it the night they arrive. It sounds like a treat. Don't forget the garlic bread!

o

Thank you Claire! I do like the idea of doing all the work the night before and just sliding it into the oven when they're an hour away. And garlic bread sounds sublime. I think I'll cheat and buy (rather than make) the bread and then turn it into garlic bread myself.

Appreciate that.

Kate

o

Sounds good to me.....that way you can have the mess cleaned up before they get there...
To keep your lasagna from being dry....be sure the sauce is "saucy".....and plan on letting the cooked dish sit for at least 20 minutes before cutting.
You will need to allow at least 1 3/4 hours from refrigerator to plate.
Every one likes lasagna!
Linda C

o

You might want to consider picking up a package of fresh noodles-- they cook so much faster, basically as soon as the cheese melts and the lasagna is hot all the way through-- and if you're going to be busy and stressed out, that might be a good thing.

Good luck :-)

Jess

o

Lasagna is fine made the day before and cooked the next day. The noodles do absorb some liquid so, as Linda says, make the sauce a little bit "saucier" than usual and be sure to let it rest at least 10 minutes before serving. The rest time allows the sauce and cheese to set up a bit so it doesn't run all over the plate when served.

Enjoy your visit!

o

I agree, I'd make the lasagna the day before, leave it in the fridge overnight and bake it so it's hot and fresh the next day. I do that often, lasagna is one of the easiest "do ahead" dishes I make and everyone seems to love it except me so it's good for my diet too!

Annie

o

Awesome! Aren't you all just wonderful. I had not thought of making sure the lasagna was saucier than usual to counteract any drying. I'll do that.

Greatly appreciate everyone's feedback and good suggestions. I'm happy I asked.

Thanks very much.

Kate

o

Clair:
I have Baked Lasagna a week ahead of time and Freeze it, if there is going to be a lot of cooking,
on the day of a Family Dinner.

I have also baked a large one and froze it in portions.

I put it into a plastic container, that has just enough room to fit the Pasta.
Then into a Zip Lock or Plastic Bag. I lable and Date it.

I do put a few spoons of Xtra Gravy on top, in case it drys a little.
I will take it out of the freezer the day before and put it in the frige.
It can be nuked a few minutes, before putting it into the Oven.
I even bought Frozen Lasagna, at my favorite Pasta Store.
It costs about $14 for a 9 X 12.

Don't tell anyone, I do that.
Lou

o

Lou, I have done the very same thing, baking a lasagna and putting it in the freezer. Preportioned, and ready for lunches or dinner, it's great isn't it? A few minutes in the microwave, and it's a wonderful meal, whether it's prebaked and frozen, or freshly baked and eaten! And there's always prepared garlic bread, ready to go in the toaster or the oven.

Kate, I hope your family appreciates your meal. It sounds just great to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here