Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with a ham steak?? (RSQ*)

Posted by amysrq (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 21:08

* Really Stupid Question (I know)

I have just joined a meat CSA and got a partially cooked smoked ham steak in my order this month. I don't eat pork as a rule, but what the heck...

And what the heck do I do with this thing? It says "partially cooked" on the package. How much do I need to cook it? Internal temperature? I assume one eats such things cooked through. Broiled? Stewed with beans of some type? Should I throw it on the grill? What should I expect?

I am lost... Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with a ham steak?? (RSQ*)

Lots of ideas:
chop it up and use it in:
scrambled eggs
Hashed potatoes
quiche
split pea soup

Sliced thin and sauteed on an egg sandwich

or, sliced and rolled up and baked in a chicken breast (pounded thin but not breaded and fried. You could throw some spinach in there with it.

I don't know much about grilling ham, but my gut reaction would be to wrap it in foil so that it wouldn't dry out. But then again, I really have never had any experience doing this.
Jo

o

Slap it into a hot fry pan and quickly brown it on each side....serve it with fresh apple sauce and new potatoes and peas.
Linda C

o

Hi Amy, good to see you over here. Of late, I have been putting ham steaks on the grill with a glaze--I am working on becoming Grill Lady. Prior to this method, I did as LindaC suggests.

Cathy

o

If you cut up the vegetables ahead of time, this is a very quick dinner for a hot summer night. If the ham slice is labelled as partially cooked, I'd cook the ham strips for a few minutes before adding the vegetables.

SUMMER SKILLET SUPPER

1 (1 lb.) fully-cooked ham slice
2 large tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium size green pepper
1 medium size onion
1 medium size yellow squash (about 1/2 lb.)
2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb. total)
3 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth or 1 envelope instant chicken broth mixed with 1/2 cup water
2 tsp.fresh chopped basil or 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp. pepper

Cut ham into 1/4 inch strips, about 1-1/2 inches long. Cut each tomato into 8 wedges; cut pepper into 1/2 inch wide strips and onion into thin lengthwise slivers. Cut squashes into 1/4 inch wide slices, halving lengthwise if larger than 1 inch in diameter.

In wok or large skillet over medium high heat, cook ham and all vegetables, except tomatoes, in hot oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining ingredients, except tomatoes; stir and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomato wedges and continue cooking until tomatoes are heated through.

Good served with yellow rice.

o

Easy glaze to make for grilling ham steaks- mix together & melt some maraschino cherry juice, some horseradish & brown sugar. Score the ham slice slightly on both sides. Grill & baste with the glaze. A quick & easy main course.

o

Ooooh, ham & grits with red eye gravy & fried eggs! Yum!

If you have leftover ham, by the way, it makes great hash.

o

Melt a couple tbs butter and brown sugar together in a skillet, squirt a couple circles yellow mustard on it, let mix bubble a minute or so, slap the steak on top of the bubbling liquid, fry till it's browned, turn and fry till warm through and browned. Spoon remaining sauce on steak. Serve with sweet potatoes roasted in their skins and dolled up with a sprinkle of salt and brown sugar.

If you try my sauce, you have to think about cleanup or removing the carmelized sugar from the pan is a devil of a job. It's easy if you have tap water running as hot as it can get. The moment you remove the steak from the pan immediately run it under the hot water. It will swish clean.

o

Ashley likes it just slapped in a hot cast iron pan and cooked on both sides. The "drippings" are then made into gravy to be eaten with biscuits or mashed potatoes.

I prefer it glazed and then either grilled or baked in the oven. Amanda likes hers cut into pieces and added to scalloped potatoes.

Any leftovers make great addition to a pot of beans or some bean soup.

Annie

o

I love it diced and brownd then added to scrambled eggs or an omelette, you could use it in a quiche.

Here are a couple of recipes we also enjoy.

Lumberjack Hash
from Cooking Light

INGREDIENTS:
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (about 1 pound)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces ham, diced
3/4 cup (3 ounces) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese

INSTRUCTIONS:
Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, and ham; cook 16 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Top with cheese; cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You could use it in place of the ham hocks in this one:

Navy Bean Soup
From Food Network Kitchens

1 pound navy beans, picked over, rinsed and drained
10 sprigs parsley
2 sprigs fresh thyme or rosemary
1 bay leaf
2 large smoked ham hocks, about 1 1/2 pounds
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
8 cups of cold water
1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Butter for garnish

Place the beans in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes; remove from the heat, cover, and let sit for one hour. Drain and reserve.

Tie the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf together with kitchen twine. In a large soup pot or Dutch oven combine the beans, herb bundle, hocks, onions, and garlic with the water. Bring to a boil, cover, and adjust the heat so the soup cooks at a gentle simmer. Cook until the beans and hock are completely tender, about 1-1/2 hours.

Turn off the heat and remove the hocks. Cool slightly. Remove the meat from the hocks, discarding the bones, fat, and skin. Cut the meat into small cubes. Remove the herb bundle and discard.

Puree about 3 cups of the beans with a some of the liquid in a blender. (For a smoother soup puree all the beans.) Stir the puree and diced meat into the soup. Heat the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed with salt and pepper.

Pour into heated bowls, place a small pat of butter on top of each soup, and serve.
Linda

o

Homemade Mac 'n' cheese with ham and broccoli in it! YUM!
Or any one of the ideas above.

Deanna

o

We fry it in a skillet, same as Linda C, except we don't cook it that quickly because we like it well browned (which some might consider too dry, but we like it that way). After cooking, we cut it into serving-sized pieces and pretty much ALWAYS serve it with baked beans.

o

I sometimes use a ham steak cut up on 'Hawaiian' pizza instead of Canadian bacon.

o

And I have cut up a thick ham steak into cubes and threaded the cubes on skewers ( short skewers) alternatly with pineapple cubes, then grilled, or baked in a very hot oven or put into a frypan. Baste with a mix of brown sugar and dry mustard mointened with the juice from the pineapple until you can spread it on the kebobs.
Really short ones are great as an appetizer.

In the 50's it was "cute" to hollow out a grapefruit or another piece of produce and make a spot for a can of sterno....then you would stud that fruit with kebobs with the ham and pineapple....the idea being that your guests could grill their own over the sterno....
cute? Eh? LOL!
Linda C

o

Thanks everyone! (Hi Cathy!!)

I think I may try sherrmann's glaze and put the steak in the oven, a la Annie, since my current kitchen doesn't have much ventilation and the poor dog goes crazy when I set the alarm off!

There are baby 'taters and kale in the farmers markets right now, so I may do some scalloped potatoes, too. I also saw some rhubarb today (still) and could try to make a chutney with that. Looking at this thing, I will probably have leftovers to dice up and direct somewhere...maybe hash or maybe I'll freeze it until we get some soup weather. It's very hot here right now...

Looks like this ham steak is "convenience" food!

o

Well, I am here to report back on my ham steak. I used Sherrmann's glaze on top of the stove and "deglazed" the pan with boiled baby turnips. Served with kale steam/sauteed with some onions, balsamic and lots of pepper, both red and black.

All the bits have been put away for a future bean soup and an omelette later this week.

Thanks again, everyone!

o

Here's how my mother always made ham steak and I have continued using her recipe. Put the ham steak in a baking dish. Pour milk over it until the milk comes halfway up the side of the steak. Sprinkle the steak with brown sugar. Bake at 350 until the milk forms a bubble about 20-30 minutes. I serve mine with sauteed spinach and scalloped potatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here