Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy Knife

Posted by swvirginia (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 20:23

This knife belonged to my mother.

Does anyone know how to use it...cheese, tomatoes, lemons?

Thanks for your input. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy Knife

My dentist has one.

(Just kidding LOL!)

What makes you think it is for food?

Have you asked your mother?

Does she do any kind of craft hobby?

dcarch

o

It somewhat resembles a shrimp knife.

Here is a link that might be useful: shrimp knife

o

It looks even more like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: another shrimp knife

o

Or it looks like a knife for harvesting asparagus.

o

I think sushipup nailed it:

Here is a link that might be useful: shrimp peeler/knife

o

That’s it!

My mother passed away a long time ago so I couldn’t, very well, ask her about it. ;)

We often had shrimp in our home…shrimp scampi, fried shrimp, shrimp cocktail, etc.

I tried “googling" it before coming here, without success.

Thank you all, so much, for answering my question.

(((hugs))) :)

o

"-----We often had shrimp in our home…shrimp scampi, fried shrimp, shrimp cocktail, etc.---"

Are you friends with Forrest Gump? LOL!

Ha! never seen one like that before in stores.

It is my belief that there are just as many shrimp peeler designs as garlic presses. :-)

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 7:43

o

That's cause they're the two most obnoxious processes. That, and pitting cherries.

;)

o

Wonderful thread.
Congratulations, SWV.
I hope you use the knife for its intended purpose and toss a nod and a high five to your mom. (She'll return it with pleasure, if a bit unobtrusively.)
And, heck, I WANT a shrimp knife.

o

And if you could report back sooner rather than later if it works well, before that ebay item gets sold...

Looks good in theory but I suspect it's not particularly great. As DC says there are so many types out there, so if it was better than the rest we'd all own one. Esp if it's been around since the 60's. That said I'd hold on to and use yours forever if I were you. I'm sentimental like that. :)

Years back I asked a local fishmonger about a shrimp tool he was selling. "Let's put it this way, we use knives." I appreciated the honesty.

o

I find that shrimp peel easily without any kind of utensil and a small paring knife to slice the back in order to clean it. Though I lived along the southern coast for over twenty years, I never saw this utensil used, sold, or even languishing in a kitchen drawer.

But I like it! I just can't think what I would use it for, lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here