Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelon Extremist ----- (pics heavy)

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 19:41

Summer = watermelon

Do you know that watermelon is one of the most expensive summer fruits? Around here in NY they are about $0.65 a lb. Since Watermelon is 92%water, and considering throwing away the thick rind, it may work out to be $11.0 to $12.00 a lb of food, LOL!

This is how I enjoy to the max almost the entire watermelon.

I consider watermelon has three parts; First the sweet center. As you get closer to the rind it gets less and less sweet. Finally you have the throw away rind.

I only eat or serve the sweetest center of the melon.

I use the less sweet part for salads. You really don't want a salad to be too sweet.

I also use the not so sweet part to make crispy watermelon chips with my dehydrator. I highly recommend this. The crispy chips become very sweet because they have 92% of the water removed. They make wonderful snacks.

The white/pink part of the rind is delicious cooked or pickled.

Even the seeds can be turned into wonderful sprouts, but that will be another post, how to sprout watermelon seeds.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A few of the dishes I made for July 4th:

dcarch

Making crispy Watermelon chips
Photobucket

Photobucket

Pan fried Cod and watermelon rind, beet stems
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Watermelon celery salad
Photobucket

Photobucket

Pasta with clam sauce and sauteed watermelon
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelon Extremist ----- (pics heavy)

Do you never get tired of playing with your food? It's beautiful. I understand that.

o

I am always thankful I look at your pictures after I have eaten.
Thank you for always brightening my life with your beautiful food pictures.

o

My Grandma used to make watermelon chips- yum! I really love these pics and look forward to hearing some details, mainly about the last dish. Looks wonderfully savory.

o

Last year I made salted watermelon jelly. It was a big seller. I've made pickled rind which has absolutely no nutritional value but well loved old fashioned and memory inducing. Had not thought about sauteing the fruit, sounds good. My melons are just now getting big enough to harvest.

Nancy

o

I swear, every time you post new pictures,
You out-do yourself!

These have GOT to be some of the prettiest yet!

AND! !
They look so appetizing!
I didn't think anything would stimulate my appetite
In this heat.
But these pictures do ! ! ! !

Rusty

o

Ditto what everyone else said.

Watermelon seeds?? All the stores here stock only the round, mostly tasteless, seedless watermelons. I crave the dark, sweet juicy melons with the big black seeds. THAT is a watermelon.

The Mennonites do grow and sell them.

o

I agree! I hadn't had a "real" watermelon in years and was starting to think I'd just lost taste for them. Then I tried one with black seeds and realized what I'd been missing. The worst are the mini watermelons, IMO.

o

Such pretty pictures! What we don't eat goes into the compost pile. The worms like watermelon too. (I cut the rind up into small easy to eat pieces for them.)
Clare

o

Oh, watermelon and cantaloupe is a real treat for the worms!!! It's a real feeding frenzy when they get that.

o

Jasdip, you mentioned watermelons that the Mennonites
grow. Well, let me tell you my story. I stopped at
a roadside stand, that was run by the Mennonites, and
bought a round melon. It was the roundest melon I had
ever seen. I took it home and put it in the fridge to
cool, but when I cut it open, a while later, there
were 7,891 seeds PER BITE, (yup, I counted 'em).
And they were the black seeds, but the melons were
very tasty, once you got by the seeds, (PTOOEY).

o

Ohhhh, lbpod! That's awful. I like melons with the black seeds, but that's a little overkill. Betcha love buying seedless after that experience!

o

So beautiful it lifts my spirits. Big smile on my formerly crabby face. Thanks again.

o

I 'may have' exagerated the number of seeds per bite,
(by one or two), but the purpose of my posting was
to let others know that just because a mellon is round,
does not mean that it is seedless.

o

Thank you everyone. Thank you all for your encouragements. You are too kind.

Watermelon with seeds brings fond memories. When I was a kid, a bunch of us naughty boys would go around steeling watermelons. We dumped the stolen watermelons in a deep well to keep them cooled. We would enjoy the watermelons and organize the boys and girls in the area to have watermelon seed spitting contests.

Jenny, the pasta with clam sauce dish:

Clams were sous vide cooked at low temperature to make them very tender. Haft of the clam juice is used with home-made pancetta to make the sauce for the pasta, and the other half of the juice is used to Sautee the watermelon.

dcarch

o

I prefer watermelon with seeds. I think the seedless watermelons have far less flavor.

Beautiful pictures, dcarch!

o

"...clam juice is used with home-made pancetta to make the sauce for the pasta..."

It's interesting to know you do that. I add linguica to clam sauce. Similar idea. I chop the clams and linguica to the same size. The flavors are very complimentary.

Jim

o

Thank you Marilyn. Not only that seeded watermelon tastes better, they are also cheaper.

Jim, pancetta works better than bacon. I only use a little so that the clam taste dominate. Yes, aged pork seems to pair well with clams

dcarch

o

"I only use a little so that the clam taste dominate."

Yes, I do the same with linguica -- just a little.

"...pancetta works better than bacon."

The old, traditional recipes for New England clam chowder always called for salt pork., but most recipes now call for bacon. I don't care for bacon because its flavor is too prominent in the chowder. And I rarely have salt pork on hand, so I use butter. Two days ago I made my best chowder ever!

"Yes, aged pork seems to pair well with clams."

Good point. I also add a little linguica (which provides spice as well as pork flavor) to stuffed quahogs.

Sorry for wandering so far from the OT. This is very interesting to me and I've never seen it discussed before.

Jim

o

The clams were made using sous vide low temperature. They were very tender. However the adductor muscles were very tough. I removed them and grind them up in a coffee grinder and used that for the sauce as well.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here